Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus.

This is a not-a-coyote, call it whatever you want as long as it's wolf.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Those are WOLVES.

How many wolves have you seen?

How many wolves have you killed?

Ya stick to your rose bushes

you’ll always be a libtard dick lover.

No chit

LOL

Yep, glad you agree.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jeezus.

LOL

Stick to roses

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Must resist responding to retard... must resist responding to retard....

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Must resist responding to retard... must resist responding to retard....

Wise choice. LOL

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They look like some sort of feral common dog to me but suspect they're coyotes.

They sure as hell are not wolves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've lived in Franklin County in N.E. Texas since 1974. The locals always called the coyotes "wolves". I believe there is still a remnant of Red wolf blood in the coyotes around here. Though it's getting pretty diluted.

I've seen coyotes killed that damn sure weighed more than 35 pounds, but not many of them. My father killed a bitch and male coyote back in 1976 during the February breeding season. The male was the size of a small German Shepard

From what I've read there's a strong case for the Red Wolf not being a true breed but a Mexican wolf/ Coyote cross anyway.

here's a fairly hefty 'yote. I thought it was a dog when I first spied him. His fur is very short.

Last edited by 1911a1; 03/20/21.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who cares, bangflop.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd call them coyotes but I know next to nothing of wolves.

I've seen a huge variance in local coyotes here in NE AL/NW GA. From color to actual physical build - length of legs, muzzle/face/head, curl or tail, even the size/thickness of teeth. I've always attributed a lot of the difference to breeding with dogs.

I saw one multiple times one year that was taller, longer, thicker than the others it ran with and it also had no red in it's coat, was black and silver. I saw it several times but was never able to kill it.

I saw one twice this past year that I first thought was a Husky. It's thickness, height, and coat color were so different than "most" coyotes around here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jeezus.

I would say call it whatever you want,as long as you don't call it the picture in question...

Last edited by JimH; 03/21/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JimH

I would say call it whatever you want,as long as you don't call it the picture in question...

LMAO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cooper57m
The Eastern Coyote is a hybrid of Gray Wolf and Western Coyote. They are bigger and more wolf-like than the western coyote. See pics linked below of Eastern Yotes.

https://images.theconversation.com/...5&auto=format&w=926&fit=clip

https://ssl.c.[bleep]/img-get/I0000cjDjARHI8tc/s/600/600/TK116141.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/614/22838479731_7a783cbb90_b.jpg

For as long as I can remember, up on the Canadian border with NY, where I grew up, the wild canines were called by different names, depending upon who was talking about them. The guys who ran them with hounds, on both sides of the border and often across the border, up in St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties, tended to refer to them as wolves. Some, traditionally, referred to them as "brush wolves." Trappers generally referred to them as coyotes, and farmers called them coydogs (the opinion being they were half coyote/half dog. Nobody ever explained how you could have a whole population of animals that were half-breeds.) I hunted and trapped them and adjusted what I called them depending on whom I was talking to. I did find it odd, that, if they were coyotes, they were so big compared to what I'd heard western coyotes were. Around 45 pounds seemed average, with many individuals going considerably larger. At the time, I had no trouble lifting and moving 80 pound feed bags, and I have put the steel on a couple that I struggled to get up on the rack of the quad. The heaviest I ever saw on an actual scale was one a friend killed that was 74 pounds. Colors vary a lot too. There were a couple of areas where it was common to see them almost fox-red. Brindle is very common as is straight, pale grey. I have seen a couple killed that were black.

When DNA technology got to be pretty common, refined and accessible, researchers determined that these "Eastern coyotes" as they came to be "officially" classified by state agencies, etc, had quite a genetic mix: coyote with a lot of grey wolf and, yes, a small percentage of domestic dog. The "official" line was that they'd arrived in the northeast in the '70's, via Canada from out west, picking up grey wolf DNA on the way. Actually, they've been around up there in some form or another forever. Many were hunted and trapped in the fifties and before. The segment of the population, though, that engaged in those activities were a somewhat isolated culture. They didn't engage all that much with the outside world and, of course, we didn't have the media, social or otherwise that we have now.

I'm still not sure how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I'll tell you where it was taken after getting opinions.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Look like smallish wolves, but then large coyotes and small wolves are essentially the same species.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
The Eastern Coyote is a hybrid of Gray Wolf and Western Coyote. They are bigger and more wolf-like than the western coyote. See pics linked below of Eastern Yotes.

For as long as I can remember, up on the Canadian border with NY, where I grew up, the wild canines were called by different names, depending upon who was talking about them. The guys who ran them with hounds, on both sides of the border and often across the border, up in St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties, tended to refer to them as wolves. Some, traditionally, referred to them as "brush wolves." Trappers generally referred to them as coyotes, and farmers called them coydogs (the opinion being they were half coyote/half dog. Nobody ever explained how you could have a whole population of animals that were half-breeds.) I hunted and trapped them and adjusted what I called them depending on whom I was talking to. I did find it odd, that, if they were coyotes, they were so big compared to what I'd heard western coyotes were. Around 45 pounds seemed average, with many individuals going considerably larger. At the time, I had no trouble lifting and moving 80 pound feed bags, and I have put the steel on a couple that I struggled to get up on the rack of the quad. The heaviest I ever saw on an actual scale was one a friend killed that was 74 pounds. Colors vary a lot too. There were a couple of areas where it was common to see them almost fox-red. Brindle is very common as is straight, pale grey. I have seen a couple killed that were black.

When DNA technology got to be pretty common, refined and accessible, researchers determined that these "Eastern coyotes" as they came to be "officially" classified by state agencies, etc, had quite a genetic mix: coyote with a lot of grey wolf and, yes, a small percentage of domestic dog. The "official" line was that they'd arrived in the northeast in the '70's, via Canada from out west, picking up grey wolf DNA on the way. Actually, they've been around up there in some form or another forever. Many were hunted and trapped in the fifties and before. The segment of the population, though, that engaged in those activities were a somewhat isolated culture. They didn't engage all that much with the outside world and, of course, we didn't have the media, social or otherwise that we have now.

The term "brush wolf" is still used around here to this day. With our nice, friendly gray wolves pushing South, I wonder how much interbreeding might go on. My limited understanding is that wolves will wipe out coyotes where they set up shop, but there are always exceptions, and I ain't no expert.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nollij

The term "brush wolf" is still used around here to this day. With our nice, friendly gray wolves pushing South, I wonder how much interbreeding might go on. My limited understanding is that wolves will wipe out coyotes where they set up shop, but there are always exceptions, and I ain't no expert.
I'd imagine a young male wolf pushed out of a pack wouldn't be above getting a little coyote putty tang.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd imagine a young male wolf pushed out of a pack wouldn't be above getting a little coyote putty tang.

Yessir. If I had to guess, I'd say the loners are the ones expanding the gene pool.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Exactly. That's how hybridization would occur. And they'd establish a pack, resulting in what could either be termed large coyotes or small wolves. Same species. Size determines lifestyle.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think a Wolf that has been on a steady diet of Moose will get considerably larger than one who eats Deer and Rabbits.
When Wolves first showed up here they killed pretty much everything, including Coyotes, eating everything but the tails, which can be found laying around.
My Trapper friend says since the Wolves have moved onto his trapline he never got any Coyotes last winter. I never hear them out back of my house anymore, I do hear the Wolves.

I found where they killed Beavers and not eaten them, which is not a good thing as the Beaver is the engineer of most bodies of Water and critters living because of them.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Exactly. That's how hybridization would occur. And they'd establish a pack, resulting in what could either be termed large coyotes or small wolves. Same species. Size determines lifestyle.

Not sure how that works but, from what I understand......when 2 species like Wolf and Coyote breed, their offspring may be sterile, which is the case when Whitetail and Mule deer interbreed.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Not sure how that works but, from what I understand......when 2 species like Wolf and Coyote breed, their offspring may be sterile, which is the case when Whitetail and Mule deer interbreed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf
Are Coywolves sterile?
Interbreeding usually results in sterile offspring but coywolves are an exception. They have reportedly flourished in the northeastern United States where the niche for large natural predators has been mostly vacant since wolves were nearly hunted to extinction in the early 19th century.Jun 19, 2011

Last edited by stxhunter; 03/21/21.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (117LBS, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 204guy, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,784
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.