Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If you can't haul all that meat home in the back of that PT cruiser let me know........

Haha, good one....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm probably a little less concerned about it than your guide is grin. If you can't haul all that meat home in the back of that PT cruiser let me know........I'll lighten your load a little pardner! Sounds like fun.

Well, if I have to struggle under the load, I'll call you first laugh

Meanwhile I figured Ive killed a few elk, and a truckload of elk sized African game with the 7x57 ( aka .275) so I have no hesitation using it with a good bullet on Nilgai.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just got done aoudad hunting with two pards.

We took three rams, all over 30". 6.5 Creed Eldx ram took two through the boiler and died in 40 yards. Dead in 10 seconds. Second was to keep from cliff diving. 220 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My ram, .280 Ackley with 168 VLD right behind the shoulder. Ram took two bounds and rolled. Dead quick. 270 yards.

Ram bleeding from mouth after first bound.

Chris's ram soaked up 3 rounds of 195 EOL from a 28 Nosler from 10 to 250 yards. Two were perfect lung shots. Ram went 600 yards and needed a 4th follow-up. The blood trail for 600 yards I could follow no issue with 8 power bins across the canyon. Never seen anything like it.

Couple of interesting things I noticed.

All bullets exited. Every one. The rams did not bleed out of the wound but through the mouth. All of them.

They are about the funnest thing I've hunted. Watching them bed inside caves and interacting was great.

They stink.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you asked this question on ANY other forum...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by buffybr
I've only shot one aoudad. That was on my first hunt with my .300 Weatherby. My guide kept telling me how hard aoudads were to kill, and told me to anchor him by shooting him through his hips. I put a 168 grain Barnes TSX bullet through his shoulders and he simply dropped dead where he was standing.

My guide then said "You don't listen to your guide, do you?" I just smiled and answered "No."

Just unbelievable.... probably why “guides” aren’t really “guides” most of the the time, but rather a “body”... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW

We took three rams, all over 30". 6.5 Creed Eldx ram took two through the boiler and died in 40 yards. Dead in 10 seconds. Second was to keep from cliff diving. 220 yards.

My ram, .280 Ackley with 168 VLD right behind the shoulder. Ram took two bounds and rolled. Dead quick. 270 yards.

Chris's ram soaked up 3 rounds of 195 EOL from a 28 Nosler from 10 to 250 yards. Two were perfect lung shots. Ram went 600 yards and needed a 4th follow-up. The blood trail for 600 yards I could follow no issue with 8 power bins across the canyon. Never seen anything like it.

All bullets exited. Every one. The rams did not bleed out of the wound but through the mouth. All of them.

They are about the funnest thing I've hunted. Watching them bed inside caves and interacting was great.

They stink.

Pretty amazing pics Greg, can’t believe the Berger’s worked!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Only animal I've ever gutted that made me gag.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by GregW

They stink.

Pretty amazing pics Greg, can’t believe the Berger’s worked!! Grin

They work on elk too. And even exit....

Recovered bullet near back ham as he was on his knees. I sped his dying up.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think I’ve seen that euro mount in person?? 😂😂

Ya Berger’s somehow work, that’s for sure. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only shot one and it fell to a 7mm Mag. He dropped to the shot.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great rams in some great country Greg. Love the pics. Yes, they are an absolute blast to hunt....a spot and stalk hunter's dream, and a badasss creature for sure. The wetback's ranch dogs wouldn't even eat some of them we shot.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have yet to see one up close so my opinion is about worthless but based on their track size and my observations of them I really wouldn't have an issue hunting them with a .223 Rem, or anything else for that matter. That isn't a cartridge recommendation, just an observation of their size.
OP, if you're going guided then this shouldn't be an issue but if you're planning a DIY hunt, do some research in judging the darn things. I could have shot several in NM last Feb but just never found one that I really confidently thought was a ram, despite looking through a lot of manuals and watching a lot of videos.

Last edited by T_Inman; 03/21/21. Reason: Edited, for clarification

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Unless you're hunting feeders, I'd leave the .223 at home, no offense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None taken, at ALL, especially since I have such little experience with them. I am not totally recommending it, just saying I wouldn't have an issue with using it, and I have that much confidence in the round. Aoudad just are not big critters. The ewes looked not much bigger than antelope to me. Whatever works for deer, should work for them.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Most likely I’ll be taking my 30-06 but I could possibly get the itch to grab my Creedmoor ... that’s mainly why I was asking.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
With a good bullet and well placed shot I’m sure either would suffice. Just wanted to hear from folks with experience hunting them and their thoughts.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If that's the case (and again, bear in mind my very limited experience with aoudad) I'd think more about the 250+ yard confidence you have in the rifles more than anything else. Keep in mind the wind possible in aoudad country too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
None taken, at ALL, especially since I have such little experience with them. I am not totally recommending it, just saying I wouldn't have an issue with using it, and I have that much confidence in the round. Aoudad just are not big critters. The ewes looked not much bigger than antelope to me. Whatever works for deer, should work for them.

You already answered your own question to my post. Wind and distance in West TX aoudad country is the reason I choose otherwise. No doubt you can kill them with a good .223 bullet in close. Big rams will weigh near 300 lbs or so, mature ewes about 150-175 IME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My own question? I didn't ask one.

300 lbs is about what I figured big rams weigh. About like mule deer.
They're fun critters to chase, no doubt. I can't wait to draw in NM again but if it takes as long for the second tag as it did the first, I may as well do a west Texas hunt instead. It'd probably cheaper all things considered.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
If that's the case (and again, bear in mind my very limited experience with aoudad) I'd think more about the 250+ yard confidence you have in the rifles more than anything else. Keep in mind the wind possible in aoudad country too.

This is what I was referring to as a "question". Sorry for the confusion.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.