Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fill it in. It's the law. If a well driller sees that well he will have to report it, and fill it. Many farms in the area have had hand dug wells.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fill it in with bodies, then you make James and Irving happy too.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Can you get a big-ass spool from the power company?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
a little bit of fence around it wold keep people out until you filled it in or got a new cover

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
16’ cattle/goat panels-$22 each (x4)

6’ t-posts- $4 each (x8)

Galvanized wire-$10

With 30 minutes, and a t-post driver, you can have it enclosed.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Tell no one about it use it to hide any future bodies you need to dispose of

Given the period of time we're living in, that could come in handy.

I like the way y'all think.

The cover at this point seems solid enough to hold up a dog, but not a kid or an adult. I think what I'm going to do is put a sign up first.

Would I want water out of it? It's 90 feet lower than the house, so it would be a bit of a haul I could fill it in with surrounding clay and still be able to pound a pipe down in the future. What future would that be? Heck if I know. I get all my water from rain catchment and I'm only utilizing less than half the roof space. I also have the option now of hooking up to city water. As long as the S doesn't HTF, I've got more water than I'll ever need. This well is probably contemporary to the 1850's farmhouse, whose foundation is about 300 yards from our place, the 1902 house. That must have been a hard life: schlepping water up 90 feet of vertical across 200 yards of hilly pasture. Yikes! So much for the good ol' days.

I think the sign ought to do for now. I'm moving out there full time in a couple of years and adding on the place. When I have a bulldozer handy for digging the cellar, I'll send him down to fill in the hole. That is probably the cheapest and most permanent. fix.

Signs all 4 cardinal directions and orange flagging tape 15 20 ft around the perimeter of it .
For the time being...
Even spray painting the trees around it some fugged up neon color about 4 ft high on the trunks.

At the least..........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big dump truck and a lot of fill dirt been there done that , kept away the lawsuit..

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by fburgtx

6’ t-posts- $4 each (x8)

Galvanized wire-$10

For cryin out loud, this^, or at least a few T post driven in the ground around the perimeter & paint 'em fluorescent. Takes maybe 20 bucks & 20 minutes.

Might keep a forgetful person on & ATV or a stranger from dying. A better lid, even a truck hood could keep larger critters from falling in it.

Otherwise, the airmchair prepper in me says keep the well. It could come in handy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by fburgtx

6’ t-posts- $4 each (x8)

Galvanized wire-$10

For cryin out loud, this^, or at least a few T post driven in the ground around the perimeter & paint 'em fluorescent. Takes maybe 20 bucks & 20 minutes.

Might keep a forgetful person on & ATV or a stranger from dying. A better lid, even a truck hood could keep larger critters from falling in it.

Otherwise, the airmchair prepper in me says keep the well. It could come in handy.

Not sure I like that. When I was a kid, that would have attracted me and my buddies like a magnet. The fact nobody knows it’s there has kept the curious away (and safe).

Just spend a few bucks and fill it in.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
fill it in

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just keep doing what the last guy did: leave a rotten cover on it, and take everyone down there to point out how dangerous the rotten cover is.

Last edited by dassa; 03/23/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If someone falls in, they'll have no problem proving that you knew about it and didn't remove all possibility of them doing something to earn a Darwin. A lawyer will have a big payday at your expense. You need to protect yourself as noted above.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I think, bentonite, a hard clay might be required to seal any ground water from getting into the underground water?

How deep is the well?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd have it filled[after putting a pipe in].

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muffin
'...I think the sign ought to do for now...'

Attorney: 'so you put up a sign'

Ans: 'yes'

Attorney: 'so, knowing there was a problem, all you did was put up a sign'????

Ans: 'yes'

Attorney: 'can the sign be seen from all directions, what about people that cannot read'?????

As others have opined, fill it in, or make a no-chitt cover that forces someone to WANT to get in............

IMHO!

You're spot on.

In a courtroom the sign would quickly become an admission of guilt much like vicious dog signs.

The sign is documentation of you being aware of the issue and did nothing to correct it.

A 6 foot fence fence with signage posted warning of vicious dogs still makes you liable if somebody can get over the fence and gets bit.

It's been 20 years and the OP has done nothing.
It's better left that way, atleast he could claim ignorance of knowing of the hazards existence when some kid blows through it on his 4 wheeler.

Put up a sign and that options over.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by BobBrown
Put a new cover on it plus a warning sign

Originally Posted by Rock-Chuck
If someone falls in, they'll have no problem proving that you knew about it and didn't remove all possibility of them doing something to earn a Darwin. A lawyer will have a big payday at your expense. You need to protect yourself as noted above.

Do this right away. Specially since you have occasional campers. Sooner or later someone is going to fall into it and you will be liable for their death or injury since you knew about the hazard on your property and did nothing about it. Protect others and yourself at the same time. A fence is probably a good thing to do in addition to a cover and a sign.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm coming up on the 20th Anniversary of owning the farm-- 200 acres to the SE of Cincinnati.

Before closing on the place, the owner took me down into a hollow and showed me a spot. "There's a well here," he said, pointing to a spot on the ground. I realized there was a cover over it, buried in the leaves. "Nobody has touched it for 80 years," he said. "I'm pointing it out to you, because you need to warn people not to go near it." The cover was rotten. I threw a stone through a hole in cover. It took a while for the splash to happen.

After that, I made sure everyone in the family knew not to go down there. It's an easy place to point out. It's easy to avoid. I've maybe walked past there 3 times. I invited #1 granddaughter down with me, and she refused to go. Her Dad and uncle had already told her. We have folks coming to camp. We always point the spot out, and no one goes on the property without first getting a briefing about the well.

Q: What should I do with that well? Options:

1) Do nothing. I warn everyone that comes on the property with my permission.
2) Put up a warning sign
3) Fill it in.
4) Put a new cover over it.

I see all 4 having possible upsides and down sides.

Have it professionally secured. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen otherwise.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want to take a chance of having your azz sued off and losing everything you own including the aforementioned farm then by all means put up a sign. If you are smart you will fix it permanently and be done with it.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any cover you put over it is, in all practicality, just temporary. Either fill it in or build a wall around it and use it.

Politics is War by Other Means
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One more thing. Don't worry about the cost of mitigating the hazard. Whatever it costs, it will be cheaper than the settlement.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,264
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.