Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When you set up your auction on GunBroker, you have a choice, collect taxes from just the GunBroker states, or specifically from any state and entering a percentage you want to collect. Once the auction closes, the software looks at the way you've got the auction set up. It charges for the GunBroker states, and it will also charge for the states you have set up. It is confusing for the seller, but it's straight forward for the buyer.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'd think you have a legitimate complaint with the caveat, that's my opinion. Gunbroker is the one that will ultimately decide if you can't get the seller to concede. And Gunbroker doesn't make communicating easy with their "zen" automated email support. Also, be advised that at least for some states, the sales tax will apply to shipping and insurance in addition to the final auction price.

Here are some relevant links on the subject:

Gunbroker Customer Service - Pissed Consumer ... Gunbroker - BBB.org

Tel. (720) 223-0164 ext 3006

Why am I being charged tax if my state is not a GunBroker.com MPF State?

Why am I being charged tax if my state is not a GunBroker.com MPF State?

Individual sellers may still be required to collect and remit sales tax for states not required by GunBroker.com. Each state places different tax obligations on GunBroker.com, Business Sellers and Individual Sellers. We each have to comply with the regulations that apply. This is why you may still be charged sales tax for your purchase.

Listing Policies and Best Practices - Additional Terms of Sale

Additional Terms of Sale:

Include shipping method and cost. Items with a fixed shipping cost tend to sell faster since the buyer can calculate the full price of the item. Provide an estimated shipping time frame if possible. If you only ship one day a week, let the buyer know so they have reasonable expectations.
Clarify any warranty or return policy terms. If you charge a restocking fee for returns, this should be clearly stated.
State any additional fees the buyer may be responsible for paying. For example:

Credit card fees
FFL fees
Insurance
PayPal fees

Clearly state if you cannot or will not ship to certain areas or locations

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Internet collected State sales tax. Get used to it. It actually helps keep your local brick and mortar stores competitive.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Originally Posted by mtnfisher

Technically, sellers don't charge it, it is automatically added to the total after the bidding ends.

Technically, you are charging them sales tax. They buyer pays the sales price, shipping cost + sales tax to the seller.

No, the seller has no choice in the matter. Saying it is on the seller implies that the seller has a way around it. They don't.

GB applies the sales tax to Seller’s account regardless of how either the buyer or seller feel about it. It shows up on the Invoice they generate. If you’re the seller and the buyer axes you what his total is, just don’t forget that little part about the sales tax because GB will charge it back to you whether you collect it from the buyer or not. Did it. Gave the guy his total as purchase price plus shipping. Then got popped by GB for the amount of sales tax based on his ship-to address along with their auction fees. Check the Invoice and charge the buyer. Anything I list anymore will include a disclaimer about that. And I won’t list as much anymore. A lot of these taxes are really personal property taxes being charged on the sale of goods owned for quite some time by an individual not a business. If I want to sell my old Aunt Bessie’s pewter candle holders why should I have to pay tax on the sale? If I did the sale in my front yard no problem, but because it happens via the innanet it’s automatically assumed by the govt and tax thieves to be a business transaction. Illegal as swimming the Rio but you’ll get about as much gov support complaining about one as the other. Whole damn tax system is corrupt as is the IRS; from its illegal inception to its illegal enforcement, et al. On our next trip to the Capital might as well stop in and check on the IRS corruption. Might need tweeking.

Last edited by shootem; 03/26/21.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Going to be alot of more stuff for sale here.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
Going to be alot of more stuff for sale here.

While there may be more for sale, it doesn't necessarily translate more being sold.
Stuff on GunBroker goes dollar for dollar higher there than on most classified websites.
Traders here are a pretty hard bunch when it comes to pricing. Most are workin' folks who place a higher value on the dollar.
A lot of sellers over there are looking for the big score. And a lot of times they get it.
A lot of the clientele there are deep pocket collectors and tend spend wildly. I don't see those sellers breaking their method of operation because of taxes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
8 states are on the list now. Starting April 1st, they are adding 36 more states

(if buying/selling out of state)
Buying - If not on the list, no sales tax. If on the list, you pay sales tax.
Selling - If not on the list, no sales tax. If on the list, you charge sales tax.

Technically, sellers don't charge it, it is automatically added to the total after the bidding ends.

Technically the states are the ones who "charge" the tax. Either the seller or GB "collect" the taxes. I looked in to setting up to sell there recently and my takeaway was that as a seller that you could collect the tax and remit it on your own or you could choose to have GB do it for you. I could never get past the extended identity registration and abandoned the idea.

Last edited by antelopedundee; 03/26/21.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Technically, you are charging them sales tax. They buyer pays the sales price, shipping cost + sales tax to the seller.

No, the seller has no choice in the matter. Saying it is on the seller implies that the seller has a way around it. They don't.

Simply, if the seller was charging it, the seller would be responsible for paying it to the respective states. There is no mechanism for that.

Wouldn't it show on your monthly statement?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sharps1874
I purchased a rifle on gun broker and it is coming from Wyoming. The seller wants to charge me 4% Wyoming sales tax even though South Dakota is not on the list. I call BS. Who is right? $2500.00 rifle x 4%=$100.00
Is he making money because his rifle did not bring what
He thought it should???????

A Wyoming seller can collect WY sales tax only if the item is shipped to a WY address. If he took it you'll have to contact the WY Dept of Revenue and ask them how to get it back. You will need proof that you paid it. He may get a reprimand as well. And let that seller know what you're doing in case he tries to keep the money.

Last edited by antelopedundee; 03/26/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
I'm done with GB.
fee is too high and now tax?
I'd rather sell cheaper on a forum and not deal with GB.
And I've been with them 19 years

This...exactly

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ringworm
I'm done with GB.
fee is too high and now tax?
I'd rather sell cheaper on a forum and not deal with GB.
And I've been with them 19 years

Same here....been with them 17 years and fed up with the BS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,524
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.