Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea�. Wood stove� It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers� I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Ten years has passed since that first post.

Thank you all for being such good friends, I find myself very busy these days with trying to run a business so I don't post near as much as I used to.

It is also the case this morning, I don't have much time, not as much time as I'd like to apply to this significant milestone. I will simply assure you all that the dream lives on.

I do have additional exciting news to share, very soon.

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This thread has been and is the best one ever on this site.. Never met any of you but would share a campfire with you anytime!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bucktail
The regs are available for 2017

I haven't followed those for years. What's the difference? grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea�. Wood stove� It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers� I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you all for being such good friends, I find myself very busy these days with trying to run a business so I don't post near as much as I used to.

It is also the case this morning, I don't have much time, not as much time as I'd like to apply to this significant milestone. I will simply assure you all that the dream lives on.

Can't wait to hear the news.

10 years ago in a job trailer on a cold rainy August day, I read the post. I've checked this thread almost everyday since. It's the first one I look at every morning.

To those of you that haven't been to Chickenbuck, it really is a magical place.It's a place of honor and tradition, both are followed. It has to be magical, my son has been there only a few times and all he wants to do is go back...every weekend. laugh Last year, we hunted with Dave, Pam, and the crew. Jack shot his first grouse there, saw his first moose. At Moose Lake of all places. He saw his first glimpse of a deer with a rifle in his hands, and got to experience the pounding of your chest just before the deer walks out. He also got to see that deer never walk out into the open. grin

I can't even begin to explain how great Pam, Dave, Missy and the kids are. Uncle Dusty's laugh can be heard all through the cabin. And when a shot is served or fired, he's smilin like heck!

The campfire is always burning and there are log benches made from the woods behind the cabin. They're as inviting as Dave and Pam.

It's a wonderful place. Thank you both for sharing it with my family and here on the campfire!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
This thread has been and is the best one ever on this site.. Never met any of you but would share a campfire with you anytime!

+1 !

Never a truer statement made on the 'fire !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone

Thanks,

Dave

Can't wait to hear the news.

10 years ago in a job trailer on a cold rainy August day, I read the post. I've checked this thread almost everyday since. It's the first one I look at every morning.

To those of you that haven't been to Chickenbuck, it really is a magical place.It's a place of honor and tradition, both are followed. It has to be magical, my son has been there only a few times and all he wants to do is go back...every weekend. laugh Last year, we hunted with Dave, Pam, and the crew. Jack shot his first grouse there, saw his first moose. At Moose Lake of all places. He saw his first glimpse of a deer with a rifle in his hands, and got to experience the pounding of your chest just before the deer walks out. He also got to see that deer never walk out into the open. grin

I can't even begin to explain how great Pam, Dave, Missy and the kids are. Uncle Dusty's laugh can be heard all through the cabin. And when a shot is served or fired, he's smilin like heck!

The campfire is always burning and there are log benches made from the woods behind the cabin. They're as inviting as Dave and Pam.

It's a wonderful place. Thank you both for sharing it with my family and here on the campfire!

Great testimony Tom !

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Somebody's getting excited for deer hunting

Shhhhhhhh. It's me.

grin grin grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Group of 4 velvet bucks crossed the road, in front of me on the way to work this morning.

2 Beauties, 1 spike & a "nubbie".

They all looked like they would taste good !

Paul.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They do. I just ate venison sausage and mac & cheese for lunch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
smile

Deb's making smoked deer loin pizza tonight !!

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That sounds like too much work. lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Came home through Northern Minnesota last night and while between storms I saw 27 deer along my travels...Looks better for you guys this year I'm thinking...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Where was that? EXACTLY where was that? grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hwy 2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Zone 172 is hunters choice this year. If i read it correctly...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that where you hunt, no duck?
That's where we hunt.
Need to look into it.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noduck
Zone 172 is hunters choice this year. If i read it correctly...

We're 171-same for us this year, but you gotta go through the CWD inspection protocol.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
That sounds like too much work. lol

Not if the wife does all the work !!

smile

It was delicious.

Paul.

Page 1,670 of 1,842 1 2 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.