Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
Goalie,
Is this the holster?
https://www.maxpedition.com/products/universal-ccw-holster

Looks helpful to keep things in position.

Yup.

Mines green and came with a Maxpedition bag.

I like the trigger covered, even though I don't put other stuff in with the gun, as the M&Ps and Glocks don't have a safety other than the trigger dingle.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I know that Taurus aren't particularly popular with some here, but I have had the 357 poly protecter for close 10 years maybe a little longer.I hunt on horses, and back packs and have packed it probably 500 miles. It only weighs 20 oz, and I had a leather man make me a cross draw holster for it. That works really well in the saddle, and is easily accessible with a back pack as well. The pistol is reasonably accurate, and I really like the red fiber optic front sight. I have had it snowy,dirty, muddy, and it works well. It definitely fits the " light" category. You never even know its there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going with the OP's parameters in a backpack hunting thread and not just a walk or hike in the outdoors, I carry a Kahr CW9 in zippered pocket in my pack and a rifle. When the pack is off for any length of time the Kahr goes into a cargo pocket of my pants.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by goalie
Goalie,
Is this the holster?
https://www.maxpedition.com/products/universal-ccw-holster

Looks helpful to keep things in position.

Yup.

Mines green and came with a Maxpedition bag.

I like the trigger covered, even though I don't put other stuff in with the gun, as the M&Ps and Glocks don't have a safety other than the trigger dingle.

I ordered one. Ok, they are 2 for one at the moment, so I ordered 2.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i have two woods bum/backpacking/hiking guns. a G31, and a G20 the 31 loaded with 125 Speer Gold Dots, the 20 loaded with 180 Federal Trophy Bonded Bear claws

I second ( or third, furth fifth..whatever) the chest Rig i just ordered an HPG kit bag and have a Gunfigter industries Kenai Chest holster which I really love

The Kenai is awesome, but the HPG kit bag lets me keep from stampeding the sheep....

tht's the main reason I ordered one. I figure it will be great for hiking, fishing, taking the kids to the park etc

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A 4" Taurus ti 41 mag is about the same weight as a 3"LCRx 357 mag (21 oz).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A woman can practice with light loads. Then for carry, put in full loads. When she's stressed and needs it, she'll never notice the extra recoil.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Which attachment guys?

Greg, if you're asking about the HPG kit bag, it comes with its own straps that are made to be comfortably worn underneath your pack straps so no attachment necessary. Or desirable IMO, the thing I like best about it is that when the pack comes off the kit bag stays put so even if you stop for only a few minutes to answer natures call, it's right there on your chest.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by GregW
Which attachment guys?

Greg, if you're asking about the HPG kit bag, it comes with its own straps that are made to be comfortably worn underneath your pack straps so no attachment necessary. Or desirable IMO, the thing I like best about it is that when the pack comes off the kit bag stays put so even if you stop for only a few minutes to answer natures call, it's right there on your chest.

Thanks...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's a good design IMO. Easy to adjust straps with a snap buckle for quick on/off, and the straps are connected to a mesh panel that rides on your back and spreads the load really well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have an HPG Recon which has molle loops. For hunting I use Blue force gear 10 Speed double AR pouch and Pistol mag pouches on the front which carry wind dust, chap stick, LRF and a spare pistol mag. You should probably get a device that covers your trigger guard and attaches to the loop in the bottom of the bag so it comes off when you draw.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I carry an xdm 10mm 5.25 " barrel in a heavy recon kit bag while hunting. Binos and rangefinder in front pouch, and occasionally a spare mag, which is probably just silly.

If not hunting, I usually have the same pistol in a runners kit bag, with a small utility blade knife and my phone in the front pocket.

I've carried a 4" 629 and a 4" 329pd in the recon, and it works ok. With full size binos in the front pouch the cylinder sort of jams into my sternum after a while.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
G29 or G43 in a HPG Recon kit bag. For the OP's purposes, a Glock 19 would be a great choice as would a Sig 365.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry an xdm 10mm 5.25 " barrel in a heavy recon kit bag while hunting. Binos and rangefinder in front pouch, and occasionally a spare mag, which is probably just silly.

If not hunting, I usually have the same pistol in a runners kit bag, with a small utility blade knife and my phone in the front pocket.

I've carried a 4" 629 and a 4" 329pd in the recon, and it works ok. With full size binos in the front pouch the cylinder sort of jams into my sternum after a while.
You are putting your binos in the front pocket of the Recon and not using the bino pouch on the front of it? Easy to get binos in/out?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
hpg is a great rig

If not in grizzly country I just carry a S&w 642 38 special with +P. otherwise a g20

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pointer

You are putting your binos in the front pocket of the Recon and not using the bino pouch on the front of it? Easy to get binos in/out?

Correct. Been doing that since I got the kit bag.

It probably isn't as fast as the magnetic closure bino pouches, but easy and fast enough for me. Left edge of my binos and right edge of my rangefinder bump into each other once in a while, but no big deal. A guy could add some padding if he was worried about that. Sig kilo 2k and 10x42 ultravids.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger SR22 in the outermost compartment of my Camelback Mule. The compartment is open in that it doesn't have a zipper. I have to slide one arm out before I can get to the gun. I am SOL is the need for a super quick draw arises.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
651 S&W, 22/45UL, G-19, tI TRACKER 4" .357 MAG,

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bobmn
A 4" Taurus ti 41 mag is about the same weight as a 3"LCRx 357 mag (21 oz).

I wish they still made them. I really enjoy my .357 but my main hunting pistol is a .41 mag 6.5" Blackhawk. It wouldbe nice to be able to run one load on a hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Glock 43 in a HPG chest bag.

Or an SR22 or a Glock 19.

Depends on two legged or four legged threats.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 2003and2013, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.