S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Make sure your insurance company will cover it

This

I was looking at one a few months ago and called my insurance company to see how they worked with R titled vehicles, they won't insure them. If I found something cheap that I only needed liability for I'd consider one though.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My son totaled my Daihatsu Rocky and we bought it back and had a cousin repair it. There was no frame damage and I knew exactly what was damaged and repaired. We drove it for a long time after that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As said, one of the biggest problems with them is cars that have been under water, often during a floor or hurricane. The electronics might dry out and be working but they often have expensive problems later.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any one that buys a car can easily end up with a wrecked one.
Worked in a Ford dealer as a kid, saw 4 or 5 new cars get bent up in some way.
Including sideswiping a guardrail. (I bent a Mustang)

They went to the body shop and got fixed, no paperwork.
The fix was cheaper than the devaluation from acknowledging the accident.

The sideswiped car?
A T-bird Turbo Coupe that went to the showroom after the fix.
The wrecked side was straighter than the factory side.

Also, there are a lot of cars wrecked at midlife that might be totaled if
turned into the insurance company/police.

But it's better for the owner to get them drug out quick and then sell them
to a shop that will fix and sell them.

No Carfax report, no R-title.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Collision damage and a working vehicle for big $ savings... Yes

Flood damage.... NO

High dollar vehicle to use and trust as if "Not Totaled"... probably not... unless a really really really TREMENDOUS DEAL.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
95 F 250 Ford, salvage title.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I had a salvage title F150 with 3500 miles on it. I sold it with 175,000 miles. I saw the truck before I bought it and the damage was in the rear. Overall the truck was OK and I had far more issues than one might expect with a new vehicle, or one that wasn’t damaged. I paid less than 1/2 of new at the time.

No problems insuring it and I sold it, with full disclosure for about 1/2 of what I paid. I’m not sure I’d do it again based on the issues.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Car Fax is your friend.........

Usually available to view free.......never had to pay for it

Will give title information also

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife bought a 2001 civic in 2007 to save miles on her new truck. I think she is 4 trucks since then, and I somehow get the civic as my commuter car. 290k miles, bought with 90k. Paint wasn’t perfect, but we bought for $4k it has been cheap transportation. Having liability on it adds like $9/month to our insurance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Make sure your insurance company will cover it

This

I was looking at one a few months ago and called my insurance company to see how they worked with R titled vehicles, they won't insure them. If I found something cheap that I only needed liability for I'd consider one though.

Different states have different rules, but I dont know of any insurance company that will insure a salvage/rebuilt titled vehicle, except for liability insurance.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Rebuilt or salvage is clearly written on the title. Carfax is only good because people believe it. It doesn’t know anything unless it was reported. I destroyed a little truck once. Had the frame pulled, replaced the entire cab, etc. Did it myself, so carfax would have shown no problems. Same would go for engine or transmission replacements or other repairs not done at a dealership or paid for via am insurance claim.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with gregintenn My title had salvage on it. And my insurance company fully insured it.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Wife had a 10 year old Subaru that a blind guy backed into (no kidding he just came from the eye doctor). The strut was bent on front side, wheel bent, little body damage. I "bought it back" from the insurance company, put a $89.00 strut up in there, aligned the front with string and levels, and drove that car another 200,000 miles. Sold it to a needy lady as a favor when it had 335,000 miles. So not all salvage titles mean the car is bad junk.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Only if the accident was reported.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep, 96 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins. Had a minor R side front whoopsee, air bags went off and was totalled. Had 6,200 miles on it. I bought it for 8,500 and drove it all over hell and back for 18 years, sold it last year with 295,000 miles for 5000.00.
The only problems i had were self inflicted, axcept for 2 water pumps.
At work we have a 2016 Chevy 4x4 that the outside operators use and every weekend one of them takes readings on the wells that pump water to the plant, total round trip is 140 miles of paved and dirt roads. Last year the airbags deployed during this wellfield run, driver had hit nothing but a bump. Vehicle totalled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by mikieb
I got one.... salvage tile is what it is called up here.

2014 Toyota Rav4 I bought to haul the dogs around in.... it's cheaper than a full size pick up at 14mpg and driving this little dog hauler will make my pick up last twice as long...

I did some research. Turns out, the original owner hit a deer in North Dakota at a high rate of speed and poped all the air bags.... insurance company totaled it.

yes, some of the gaps in the body panels don't look perfect... Ya, the dome light dosn't work right. When you open the door the door open buzzer dosn't work.... horn won't work.....

Other than that.... the freaking thing is flawless... Paint looks good. no squeeks or rattles...Open the hood and the motor looks just like it is brand new. I love the car. Got it cheap enough to pay cash for it... It dose just what I need done, haul the dogs, save gas and extend the life of my full size pick up. I will drive it until it is junk... and by the way things are going, that will be a long time from now.

Running full coverage or no?
Yes, confirmed with insurance we are good to go and covered it with comp and collision with a 250/500 deductible. I'm sure I will be good right up to the day that I actually file a claim.... then we will see.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I wouldnt trust anything issued by Carfax. There is no requirement for ANYONE or ANY business to report damage to them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We bought a 1998 Camry in 2005 in Yuma, it was a Salvage Title due to rear end damage , paid 5800 for it. the guy we bought it from had taken it over to Mexico and got it fixed up. We drove it until 2019, put 85,000 miles on it with nothing more than usual maintenance. Sold it for 4300. Not a bad deal IMHO

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As can be seen with the varied replies, the answer is a maybe. It depends why it was totaled. Carfax is an OK guide bur never definitive. Get the VIN and do a google search. A lot of times pictures from an insurance auction will be found showing good pictures of the damage,

For me personally, I avoid salvage titles.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have bought a couple over the years that had collision damage titles, mostly when I was younger and couldn’t afford much more. Did buy one that was pretty light body damage that I could fix myself when I was driving a lot to and from work knowing I would probably drive it till it died and not have to worry about resale.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,675
Posts18,513,291
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.