Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15945138 03/27/21
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi,

My 8 year old beagle, Buddy, normally consumes his food in under 30 seconds with amazing enthusiasm. However, tonight he refused to eat and refused treats. He has been drinking a lot and sleeping a lot. Seems like he’s sick and I am not sure what to do. Advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Conrad

[Linked Image from ]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
take him to the vet.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, vet. I'm on my third and hopefully last K9. It's so tough to see when your buddy is not feeling well. Is his nose warm? Generally means fever. Get to a vet. Good luck!

Last edited by Razorhog; 03/27/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you given him anything greasy or any more that normal amounts of meaty treats/leftovers ?

My lab gets bouts of pancreatitis. I had to cut her off from eveeything. Strictly dog food for her.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

All dogs do that on occasion...don't sweat it.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If a beagle's not eating, there are issues. To the vet ASAP.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are his eyes clear/bright? Urine dark? Best to get him to a vet.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
take him to the vet.

Beat me to it.

I knew it Rog. Yer a freakin genius.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER

All dogs do that on occasion...don't sweat it.

Read Rogers post. Hes a genius. You? Not so much.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
If he has four legs and a tail, get him to a vet.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
He might have eaten something he can't get out.

My Lab hogged down a big piece or a rawhide chew thing once and wouldn't eat,...acted all slow.

We took him to the vet and got an X-ray. The vet said to watch him for a few days to see if he got over it,...said he might have to do surgery to take it out,...but he schitt it after a couple of days.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No human food

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Same thing happened to my shorthair. He had an infection. I’d agree with the others and take him to the vet for a check up

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Get him to the vet, PDQ!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a beagle that lived to be 15. When she was about six or seven, ate almost an entire pack of DCon mouse pizzen at the cabin. Buddy went up ahead of dad, the dog and me. Discovered we had a few mice and put the DCon behind the sofa. We show up, dog is behind sofa and found the pizzen. Crapped bloody turds for a day or two, guzzled lots of water and was fine.

Some years later at the cabin, got really sick. No DCon around this time. Wouldn't eat, trembled and was lethargic. Took her home and to the vet. Had no signs of infection, but they gave her antibiotics. Told the vet, dog may have eaten a toad or two? She said to feed her warm milk. Did that for couple days with a spoon and babied her. Snapped out of it in three days.

Beagle had a habit of eating tiny toads at camp, figured that's what happened? She never ate toads after that. Next dog was a lab. That one scarfed up a wee toad as a pup, first time at cabin, but spit it out and never did that again. Problem solved..

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
beagles are human shop vacs. my old dude ate some stuff that i thought would kill him. like a pile of baby back rib bones, a wok full of used cooking oil, and the best was when he got in the garbage and ate a nicotine patch. i saw him walking around with something hanging out his ass and pulled it out with my leatherman. reminds me, i need to wash those plyers.

My diploma is a DD214
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
fresh water and air will let most dogs recover and some time,, def let a vet look at him,,, I was working in the yard on a lawn mower carb while my beagles were busy loafing around the house,, One came up and to my suprise started lapping up a bowl of gas I had caught,and immediatly took off running about 4 laps around the house and fell over on its side,, I thought crap,, got up and went to look at what I figured was a dead pup, but it was ok just run out of gas,,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drinking alot could mean anything. Diabetic possibly?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
beagles are human shop vacs. my old dude ate some stuff that i thought would kill him. like a pile of baby back rib bones, a wok full of used cooking oil, and the best was when he got in the garbage and ate a nicotine patch. i saw him walking around with something hanging out his ass and pulled it out with my leatherman. reminds me, i need to wash those plyers.

I feel a little better after reading this. 😃😂

Mine love the Bi-Annual clean out the refrigerator event.

Pour out a 1/2 gallon of clabbered buttermilk, they commence to lapping that chunky goodness up, can’t get them to back outta the bowl so they get 4 month old cottage cheese dumped on the back of their necks.

I had to stop dumping the turkey fryer in the gravel because they’d swallow oily gravel and sand.
Now I dumped in the grass and in a few hours it looks like where deer might have pawed at a salt lick. Dirt dug out and consumed.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dubePA

Some years later at the cabin, got really sick. No DCon around this time. Wouldn't eat, trembled and was lethargic. Took her home and to the vet. Had no signs of infection, but they gave her antibiotics. Told the vet, dog may have eaten a toad or two? She said to feed her warm milk. Did that for couple days with a spoon and babied her. Snapped out of it in three days.

Beagle had a habit of eating tiny toads at camp, figured that's what happened? She never ate toads after that. Next dog was a lab. That one scarfed up a wee toad as a pup, first time at cabin, but spit it out and never did that again. Problem solved..

We have toads all over at our house, they especially like it under our deck. Border Terriers screw with them several times a week. Foam at the mouth and act sick for a few hours but are right back out there hunting for them the next day. They get sick for a few hours but it doesn't seem to last any longer, of course they have never eaten one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 71 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.