This one's 51 years old.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of the 60’s muscle cars could not touch a 2021 box stock Mustang GT

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back to 2021 Bronco's; the Sport version, which I believe is the only one out right now, looks like all the rest of that type of SUV's; nothing special. The Bronco, plain named Bronco, not the "Sport", looks a lot different. Along the "Raptor" lines. That is the one I'm waiting on. Probably the two door, just want see them first hand.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BayouRover
I wonder how one of the 60's muscle cars would do against something like a modern day Challenger Scat Pack 392 cu. in. 485 hp.....?

Still wish I had my old 68 Charger...

The newer ones ain’t slouches.

My neighbor has a new Ford Raptor and we hooked up with my 2006 Saleen. He jumped me and stayed ahead for quite a ways until I could reel him in and pass him.

We used up a lot of asphalt doing that.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Borchardt

That's why I tossed out the question. I have a 2021 Scat Pack that would blow my old 1968 Charger away. That said, I wish I still had it in my garsge.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Borchardt

The 5.0’s are pretty quick.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EdM
This one's 51 years old.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It’s a sickness, I tell ya !
A sickness .

Waaay cool, Ed.

And the Mustang ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wonder how one of the 60's muscle cars would do against something like a modern day Challenger Scat Pack 392 cu. in. 485 hp.....?

For the most part, not very well. A V6 Accord or Camry would smoke 75% of muscle cars from 0-60 and in the 1/4,
My 2020 Camaro is capable of 0-60 in approximately 3.5 seconds and the quarter in 11.5 according to the magazines.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
A V6 Accord or Camry would smoke 75% of muscle cars from 0-60 and in the 1/4...

I'd argue that stat.
Even taking power/weight ratio into account, when horsepower hooks up and stays hooked up there is no replacement for displacement.
Maybe, maybe 25%.
Stopping? That's another discussion!

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

For the most part, not very well. A V6 Accord or Camry would smoke 75% of muscle cars from 0-60 and in the 1/4,
My 2020 Camaro is capable of 0-60 in approximately 3.5 seconds and the quarter in 11.5 according to the magazines.

Snowwolfe, you may recall some years back when GM was testing the Camaro against the Corvette and the Camaro was consistently faster on top speed than the Corvette was.

GM made Camaro detune by 25 hp and the head of the Camaro division quit over that edict.

Can’t have the pony outrunning the horse.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WTM45

I'd argue that stat.
Even taking power/weight ratio into account, when horsepower hooks up and stays hooked up there is no replacement for displacement.
Maybe, maybe 25%.

Recently built V6 Camrys and Accords will run mid 5's 0-60. Some Camrys were clocked in the low 5 second range. Check specs for the top 50 muscle cars and compare data.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Snowwolfe, you may recall some years back when GM was testing the Camaro against the Corvette and the Camaro was consistently faster on top speed than the Corvette was.

GM made Camaro detune by 25 hp and the head of the Camaro division quit over that edict.

Can’t have the pony outrunning the horse.

At the Ron Fellows racing school in Nevada the students drive vettes and the instructors are out front in camaros. It's pretty rare that an instructor feels like he can't stay ahead of a student. My last run the instructor had to ask me to back off because he couldn't stay ahead so the vette can do it but the camaros are impressive on the track.

Bb

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by WTM45

I'd argue that stat.
Maybe, maybe 25%.

Recently built V6 Camrys and Accords will run mid 5's 0-60. Some Camrys were clocked in the low 5 second range. Check specs for the top 50 muscle cars and compare data.

buddy just got the accord 2.0 sport, silly fast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I can say is, that a buddy's cousin had a '69 SS396 Malibu that easily did 6 second 0-60 times. Watched him run it at the old US 30 (York) NHRA strip back then and it did pretty well. Usually best in class. IIRC it had the optional 375HP version 396, but knowing him it wasn't strictly "bone stock"? He took top stock eliminator with it at another track and lost on protest.

They dialed the cam. Lift/duration didn't quite meet specs. blush

Don't remember his 1/4 mile times at US30, but figure they were probably in the low 11 seconds bracket, or damn close?

I ran my '64 LeMans coupe there back then and turned low 14s. 326CI, four speed. Best thing I had going, was the hole shot and flawless shifts. Because whatever came in second, was usually only half a fender short? K/S, I think? Too long ago to remember.

whistle

BTW, this is what I've been driving for seven years: 355HP Silverado 1500 4x4. Ain't a slouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loOSXOhutQg

Last edited by dubePA; 03/29/21.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dubePA
All I can say is, that a buddy's cousin had a '69 SS396 Malibu that easily did 6 second 0-60 times. Watched him run it at the old US 30 (York) NHRA strip back then and it did pretty well. Usually best in class. IIRC it had the optional 375HP version 396, but knowing him it wasn't strictly "bone stock"? He took top stock eliminator with it at another track and lost on protest.

They dialed the cam. Lift/duration didn't quite meet specs. blush

Don't remember his 1/4 mile times at US30, but figure they were probably in the low 11 seconds bracket, or damn close?

I ran my '64 LeMans coupe there back then and turned low 14s. 326CI, four speed. Best thing I had going, was the hole shot and flawless shifts. Because whatever came in second, was usually only half a fender short? K/S, I think? Too long ago to remember.

whistle

BTW, this is what I've been driving for seven years: 355HP Silverado 1500 4x4. Ain't a slouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loOSXOhutQg

Nice ride, dube.

Had a 1970 El Camino SS with the 396 course, 375 hp.

Cammed it up some and added headers. It was a good one and should have never sold it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quite a few older El Caminos still on the road around here, but this area is well populated with motor heads. Builder I worked for had two El Caminos, both in the early-mid 80s. Got to drive his last one quite a bit on special assignments. It had A/C, my company truck didn't..

Even the younger generations around here are still into hot rods. Our former neighbor has a penchant for older Mustangs that he's built up for trips to the strip. All with aftermarket super chargers w/lots of mods. Most were the Fox bodied versions, except for the one he has now ('96?). He snapped the input shaft on a five speed, then put an automatic in it that was purpose built for racing. First time out, broke the driveshaft yoke. This one has a full roll cage, but is street legal.

Don't recall the HP, but it put out over 800 foot pounds of torque on the dyno. Used to pizz off some of the neighbors when he was working on it. Ain't a Ford guy, but it sounded pretty good to me?

grin

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.