Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do navy ships require pilots or just the commercial ones?

We boarded pilots......
Many times. USNS ships.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Going a little further into the cause of this....the best pilot in the world is up schidt creek when the ship loses power as it did, you can't do anything when you lose way, at the mercy of wind (look at the sail area of the above deck container stack) and current. However, having worked on tugs doing ship assists in Puget Sound, some GOOD cautious skippers will authorize the overtime to have a mate and deckhands standing by in tight places to let the anchor(s) go when all else fails. Marine insurers love this..owners hate this, to pay a little overtime is a terrible sin. I would guess it will all be dumped on the Chief Engineer, guilty or not.
Now the USN, how they make a determination to spend the money on a pilot and/or tug assist, I don't know. I worked tug assists at Bremerton WA many times, usually with a pilot (there is a close relationship between tug skippers and pilots, and that cuts way down on stress, drama, and damage) and every time a naval vessel goes into the shipyards in Seattle, it was done with civilian hire tugs. The navy had their own tugs at Bremerton, but they seemed busy yard shuffling.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do navy ships require pilots or just the commercial ones?

Coast Guard ships commonly use pilots when using unfamiliar ports. When I passed through the Panama Canal on a Navy ship, we used a pilot both ways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Vladimir had to get involved:
[Linked Image]

Vlad the Un-impaler

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Going a little further into the cause of this....the best pilot in the world is up schidt creek when the ship loses power as it did, you can't do anything when you lose way, at the mercy of wind (look at the sail area of the above deck container stack) and current. However, having worked on tugs doing ship assists in Puget Sound, some GOOD cautious skippers will authorize the overtime to have a mate and deckhands standing by in tight places to let the anchor(s) go when all else fails. Marine insurers love this..owners hate this, to pay a little overtime is a terrible sin. I would guess it will all be dumped on the Chief Engineer, guilty or not.
Now the USN, how they make a determination to spend the money on a pilot and/or tug assist, I don't know. I worked tug assists at Bremerton WA many times, usually with a pilot (there is a close relationship between tug skippers and pilots, and that cuts way down on stress, drama, and damage) and every time a naval vessel goes into the shipyards in Seattle, it was done with civilian hire tugs. The navy had their own tugs at Bremerton, but they seemed busy yard shuffling.

Evergreen has stated the ship did not lose power.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somewhere in that convoy is my next pair of NIKEs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Isn't that an Amazon ship?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well, I've never been in the Navy and I've lived my entire life basically as far away as I could be from both coasts simultaneously. So, I learned something new today. Thanks 'Fire.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Evergreen has stated the ship did not lose power.

Did they say if it had any power or steering irregularities?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh ok, early report just hours after it happened from BBC stated they did lose power...they must have walked that back. But then if the Marine Insurors can prove negligence or lack of due diligence in maintenance...then it's all on Evergreen...big bucks. Ships log, and engineering logs are in fact legal documents, I don't know if they can be tampered with, maybe, but Jeez, what if they have gone electronic log and it's a Dominion system? Grin.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BLG
river pilots only run a certain part of the river. If a ship is going from the mouth of the Mississippi to say Baton Rouge, there may be more than one pilot that run that ship. The Miss. is an ever changing creature, and you had better know where every turn, and sand bar is. The river boat pilots make one hell of a living. Granted, they are in charge of a great deal of responsibility also. And you don't just become a river pilot. It's a very tight group. A lot of them are family members. It's a huge money making operation.

I have a neighbor that has a deer camp next to some of my land in Yazoo county MS. He's a river pilot and if I remember right he told me that the section of the river he's responsible for is about 20 miles long around Baton Rouge. I can't tell you an exact amount, but I know he makes extremely good money.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.