Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Just to be clear, that’s not my photo. It is the one to which waterrat posted a link.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He "made" her skin it herself, too....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since it first showed up in the hunting fields of North America the 30-06 was considered a great big game cartridge for every thing. In 2021 we have super bullets and better velocity powders available that easily elevate the .308 Winchester to better ballistics then what the 30-06 could achieve long ago. The great Nosler Partition or Barnes TTSX in 165 grain weight would work on any thing in North America.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Since it first showed up in the hunting fields of North America the 30-06 was considered a great big game cartridge for every thing. In 2021 we have super bullets and better velocity powders available that easily elevate the .308 Winchester to better ballistics then what the 30-06 could achieve long ago. The great Nosler Partition or Barnes TTSX in 165 grain weight would work on any thing in North America.

I knew an old Kodiak Native guide that carried a 30-30...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

If I recall that story correctly, W 'Rat wasn't even there to help her kill that beast. The poor lass was trying to protect the homestead, by herself, and she had to shoot the bear, skin it and handle the carcass by herself.

I truly love that photo. Everything is so serene; the iron lady, the flowers, even the big dead bear looks strangely happy... the pup looks like he's about to blow a gasket....otherwise, very peaceful!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by kaboku68
Nope its a real Dall. They get that way in a certain part of the Chugach.

You might have to pay for the video that has a couple of his hunts in it.
https://www.amazon.com/HIGH-SPIRITS-Alaska-Sheep-Hunting/dp/B0013QPXES

Vek would tell you about his sheep. (Jerry Vekved)

Wow that's incredible! (I was gonna call BS)

I got a Chugach sheep tag for August. Maybe Mike Meekins knows the "secret spot".

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
He knows the country very well. I would guess though that because Doug flies DS165 and DS160 with great regularity that he would know where you should go. He doesn't answer emails very much because of a very bad experimental aircraft injury. However, you can look him up and call him and he would be the dude to talk to. You could also find him at the Valdez Air Show, not flying but administrating. He has two cubs and my other Cousin Ronal has two cubs down there and they fly constantly.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I liked this old quote, "Bob Hagel, You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong. "...

How many inches is that bore going to be? 4?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I liked this old quote, "Bob Hagel, You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong. "...

I’ve got some of Hagel’s books, and look at them often. He was pretty content with a 7 mag or a 300. He also had no qualms using (much) bigger rounds at times. I think he was pretty recoil tolerant. He is a good read and appeared to have a lot of field experience to back up his opinions.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Use enough gun".

And that is strictly a matter of opinion. Well, mostly.

IIRC, Bell didn't think the .22 Hornet was much of a rhino gun.... smile

That said, I'd carry a .308 without hesitation. My walk-about rifle is a M94 in 30-30.

But size does matter sometimes, and placement matters more. Shooting a rifle one isn't afraid of is a good idea.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Nope its a real Dall. They get that way in a certain part of the Chugach.

You might have to pay for the video that has a couple of his hunts in it.
https://www.amazon.com/HIGH-SPIRITS-Alaska-Sheep-Hunting/dp/B0013QPXES

Vek would tell you about his sheep. (Jerry Vekved)

Thank you for that information.
Like I said, my knowledge is very limited.
That ram is a brute!
I am ordering the video.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 04/02/21.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I was at Iguigig on a bargeing project at the time,,Marlene had 2 nieces to sort of help the skinning process though. When I got home he was fleshed and in the salt!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by waterrat

I was at Iguigig on a bargeing project at the time,,Marlene had 2 nieces to sort of help the skinning process though. When I got home he was fleshed and in the salt!!

What kind of sammich did she have waiting for you?

wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know quite a few Alaskan hunters who use the 308 for all their needs. I also have been told by numerous guides and resident hunters in Spain, Tajikistan & Kazakhstan that the 308 is considered "the best" hunting cartridge.. In Zimbabwe two years ago both PH's in our camp used 308's as their personal hunting rifles.

In fact You could safely replace "30-06" with 308 Win in my statement below.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

wink

And did she take the plastic wrap off the cheese slice first?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I was at Iguigig on a bargeing project.

Spent time grounded there.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

wink

And did she take the plastic wrap off the cheese slice first?

You expect him to notice fine details?
wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cool photo waterrat. I've been to igiugig, nondalton, illiamna, Pedro bay, Newhalen, kokhanok, etc.

Bears are thick over there. Got driven off a fishing hole on the Newhalen river. A bear wanted the spot more than me it seems.

Mostly maintenance man stuff on water treatment plants and clinics.

On my down time, tried to visit local mushers, to talk dogs.

Did the same work on Kodiak villages and all the villages of the Northwest Arctic some on Prince of whales island and some of AK peninsula.

Wish kk Alaska would come out of retirement and go wrench on water treatment plants with me. Best learning experiences ever, are wrenching with those level 3-4 guys like kk Alaska. Some skilled, calibrated dudes right there.

My opinion after loading 200 grain flat base spitzers to 2450 fps from a 20 inch barrel:

That is on par to what I was getting from my 30-06 k98 Mauser with a 22 inch barrel using blue box federal 220 grain hot cor.. It's about as "bison legal" as the 30-06.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/02/21.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Cool photo waterrat. I've been to igiugig, nondalton, illiamna, Pedro bay, Newhalen, kokhanok, etc.

Bears are thick over there. Got driven off a fishing hole on the Newhalen river. A bear wanted the spot more than me it seems.

Mostly maintenance man stuff on water treatment plants and clinics.

On my down time, tried to visit local mushers, to talk dogs.

Did the same work on Kodiak villages and all the villages of the Northwest Arctic some on Prince of whales island and some of AK peninsula.

Wish kk Alaska would come out of retirement and go wrench on water treatment plants with me. Best learning experiences ever, are wrenching with those level 3-4 guys like kk Alaska. Some skilled, calibrated dudes right there.

My opinion after loading 200 grain flat base spitzers to 2450 fps from a 20 inch barrel:

That is on par to what I was getting from my 30-06 k98 Mauser with a 22 inch barrel using blue box federal 220 grain hot cor.. It's about as "bison legal" as the 30-06.

Ever been to levelock?

Last edited by AKPENDUDE; 04/03/21.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
“ Bears are thick over there. Got driven off a fishing hole on the Newhalen river. A bear wanted the spot more than me it seems.”

Right you are.

Made many trips to Illiamna flying out to any one of the Lakes tributaries. Always enjoyed the Newhalen more as caught the largest Rainbows and Char there.

We had a middle aged boar that earned the nicknamed “3 O’clock Charlie” as he would always appear in the afternoon. My usual companion Karl was napping in the tent after a long morning of fishing. I was close enough to hear him snoring, even though the sound of the gorge was loud enough to drown out mere mortals sleep noise. Just happened to glance back at the sound of an extra loud round of his snoring and saw “Charlie” peering into the open flap at the “symphony” offered. It’s a good thing that Charlie wasn’t a music critic as he snorted, turned around and headed uphill.

To this day, Karl does not believe this happened. That the statement “ignorance is bliss” has been used to describe many different occasion (at the least) seemed fitting to this one. Karl continued to accompany on several trips after without any reservation or concern. Just so others here appreciate this is not an attempt at “thread hijacking” Karl carried his Model 88 in 308 on every trip. He never once fired a shot for any reason. He was always comfortable packing it, certainly.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.