Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Going on a drop camp in a CO OTC unit in mid to late September for archery elk. There will be 4 hunters. If it matters, the area is rugged, and thick with timber, aspens, and oak brush. Not a wide open area with parks, etc. where you can glass with a spotter. One or two are setting out for a bull, but a couple of us would take the first shot at any legal elk, including a cow.

What is the general thought process behind what is the best approach, assuming everyone has proper gear, GPS, etc.

- Pairs break off for the day and meet each other back at camp at end of the day?
- Scout together for the first day or so and then break off as you find sign, wallows, and let each person or pair focus on a given area?

None of us have ever done this, so just wanting to get an idea of what is most effective and most common. My thought is to set out each day in pairs and then possibly even hunt solo (you sit on this wallow, I will sit on that one, etc.) depending on the situation.

Thanks for any feedback.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How do you plan to hunt, and can any of you call elk? Sounds like spot and stalk is a no-go so that leaves calling, still hunting, or sitting on a water hole or wallow.

If you can call or learn to call, sometimes pairing up is good. The caller can get in position 50 or so yards behind the other guy, and call one past him. The elk will be focused on the caller. If you do set up to call, do it in a spot where there's enough cover to hide an elk. If they come in to a call they'll zero right in on the location expecting to see elk and if they don't they'll know something is not right. If you do decide to call do it sparingly and pick your spots. If they're in the rut, bugling and tearing stuff up sometimes anyone can call one in but usually it takes some skill. I don't call a lot because I'm not that good at it and most of the time I'm better off with the elk not knowing I'm there.

If you're going to try to sneak up on one in thick stuff, two people make twice as much noise and twice as much movement. It's hard enough to sneak into bow range by yourself, let alone with two people so that kind of hunting is best done solo.

If it was me in a new area, I'd split up and go four different directions the first day or two. Better chance to find elk that way, and compare notes back at camp. Then come up with a game plan if you find them, always keeping the wind in mind especially the daily thermals that generally blow downhill in the morning until the air heats up, and then switch to uphill until evening. If you've never tried to sneak up on elk, you can get away with a little noise, but you can't get away with being winded.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by smokepole
How do you plan to hunt, and can any of you call elk? Sounds like spot and stalk is a no-go so that leaves calling, still hunting, or sitting on a water hole or wallow.

If you can call or learn to call, sometimes pairing up is good. The caller can get in position 50 or so yards behind the other guy, and call one past him. The elk will be focused on the caller. If you do set up to call, do it in a spot where there's enough cover to hide an elk. If they come in to a call they'll zero right in on the location expecting to see elk and if they don't they'll know something is not right. If you do decide to call do it sparingly and pick your spots. If they're in the rut, bugling and tearing stuff up sometimes anyone can call one in but usually it takes some skill. I don't call a lot because I'm not that good at it and most of the time I'm better off with the elk not knowing I'm there.

If you're going to try to sneak up on one in thick stuff, two people make twice as much noise and twice as much movement. It's hard enough to sneak into bow range by yourself, let alone with two people so that kind of hunting is best done solo.

If it was me in a new area, I'd split up and go four different directions the first day or two. Better chance to find elk that way, and compare notes back at camp. Then come up with a game plan if you find them, always keeping the wind in mind especially the daily thermals that generally blow downhill in the morning until the air heats up, and then switch to uphill until evening. If you've never tried to sneak up on elk, you can get away with a little noise, but you can't get away with being winded.

Thank you. This unit (as are most OTC units Im sure) is very highly pressured, and we have been advised that the elk won't be talking much if at all. We are thinking rather than going in there and making noise (no calling is better than bad calling), that we will let other people do that, and try to focus on finding/hunting sign.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like a good plan. If you're a deer hunter, keep in mind that unlike whitetails, elk can leave a lot of sign behind but be somewhere else entirely. They move around a lot more, best to keep moving until you find animals, don't stop just because you found fresh sign. Fresh sign is good, but only halfway there.

Also keep in mind that elk are much easier to sneak up on than whitetails, don't think you have to sit and wait for them to come to you.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sounds like a good plan. If you're a deer hunter, keep in mind that unlike whitetails, elk can leave a lot of sign behind but be somewhere else entirely. They move around a lot more, best to keep moving until you find animals, don't stop just because you found fresh sign. Fresh sign is good, but only halfway there.

Also keep in mind that elk are much easier to sneak up on than whitetails, don't think you have to sit and wait for them to come to you.

Thank you Sir

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just listing all the mistakes I made when I first started elk hunting, LOL. One other thing, in September it's still warm for elk so try to find cool shady north-facing timber with water. That's where they'll hole up during the day and bed down. It's not easy to sneak up on them when they're bedded but it's good to have an idea of where they bed and hunt nearby early and late try to catch them coming or going.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't like moving around too much unless there is very little sign and definitely break off into two man teams as 4 dudes make way too much noise. I too, like to hang out in the dark timber up above some food and water if possible. Just hunker down and be patient, always keep one dude awake. Try that at least for one day . You will know you are in a good travel corridor when you see all the game trails traversing a hillside. I also like to do mini drives with two guys when I get into some saddles and benches that look promising. I have gotten more clients elk that way than any other technique.

Last edited by troublesome82; 03/30/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I also like to do mini drives with two guys when I get into some saddles and benches that look promising. I have gotten more clients elk that way than any other technique.

Troublesome, did you notice the OP is bowhunting?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yep, I agree with Smoke- split up and cover as much ground as possible at least until you find them.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WideOpenSpaces
Going on a drop camp in a CO OTC unit in mid to late September for archery elk. There will be 4 hunters. If it matters, the area is rugged, and thick with timber, aspens, and oak brush. Not a wide open area with parks, etc. where you can glass with a spotter. One or two are setting out for a bull, but a couple of us would take the first shot at any legal elk, including a cow.

What is the general thought process behind what is the best approach, assuming everyone has proper gear, GPS, etc.

- Pairs break off for the day and meet each other back at camp at end of the day?
- Scout together for the first day or so and then break off as you find sign, wallows, and let each person or pair focus on a given area?

None of us have ever done this, so just wanting to get an idea of what is most effective and most common. My thought is to set out each day in pairs and then possibly even hunt solo (you sit on this wallow, I will sit on that one, etc.) depending on the situation.

Thanks for any feedback.

as mentioned keep covering ground

I wouldn't waste my time sitting on wallows in a pressured unit. watch the wind direction, it can change constantly in the mountains.If you locate elk in thick steep areas with lots of blowdowns where its impossible to walk quietly set a up small slow drives with your partners

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Two people make 4 times as much noise as one. (No twice as much).
Stay out of their bedroom. If you bust them out of there, they most likely will leave the country.
Prepare for all kinds of weather from damn hot to snow storms. We had 6" this past year 2 days before opening day.

If this coming year is like this past season, it will be dry.. Elk will go nocturnal and be at water holes before first light and right at dusk. Don't go walking around water sources and leave your scent there. It does not take much to make elk go nocturnal and in an OTC unit it happens fast.You will have two weeks or so of archers chasing them around and 9 days of ML hunters. Everyone one of them tooting on a bugle or cow call and not knowing what they are doing,or squeezing a Hoochie Mama cow call.

Keep clean. Don't depend on scent blocking sprays or clothes. Make sure your outfitter will pack the meat out from the kill site and you don't have to pack it back to your camp first. They should pack it out no later than the next day.How will you contact them to do so or will they check on you? Do you have to take care of the meat when they pack it out,or will they take it cooler and/or processor?

Two way radios help to keep track of each other. Perfectly legal as long as you don't use them to actually hunt.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/21/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wallows can be great if they are being used and it is hot outside.
Pushes will work, for pushing the elk out of the area.

Listen at night for bugling then try to intercept the bulls as they go to bedding ground at daylight. Stay out of the bedding area unless you want the elk to leave.
Saddles are great travel routes , set up on the trails.

Raking trees can call in bulls better than cow calls, but learn some cow calls.

Wind is going to swirl in the mountains, play the prevailing wind and hope for the best.

Elk will also look for an easier route through blowdown, find a well used trail and sit along it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Boyo, I must have been drinking when I ain't use to it! cry I apologize, I got my wires crossed and did not read your thread correctly. I agree with what smokepole has broadcast for archery hunting, dudes! I never called much as I sucked at it, and so many others were wheezing on diaphragms way back when I would just keep a cow/calf call with me and try to benefit from neighboring hunting pressure, though I had very little competition in the woods some years. I like the splitting up idea towards some water and dark timber, as mentioned. I always hated mid day link ups with anyone as I was usually getting in a good hunting posture and then having to haul ass to make a link up, which sucked! You guys have fun and keep us posted, I can smell the woods and the wallows like it was yesterday!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ive shot elk before on a two man man slow push

Originally Posted by wytex
Wallows can be great if they are being used and it is hot outside.
Pushes will work, for pushing the elk out of the area.

Listen at night for bugling then try to intercept the bulls as they go to bedding ground at daylight. Stay out of the bedding area unless you want the elk to leave.
Saddles are great travel routes , set up on the trails.

Raking trees can call in bulls better than cow calls, but learn some cow calls.

Wind is going to swirl in the mountains, play the prevailing wind and hope for the best.

Elk will also look for an easier route through blowdown, find a well used trail and sit along it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
With a bow?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I believe it ribka but how many elk stayed in the area after your slow push?.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.