Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
673, I'm not sure if you cut in sustained 15-30 below zero as I do, but even cold weather bar oil thinned with diesel isn't enough to keep the plastic worm gears proper. They are brittle in that type of hard cold.

Wheras, the echo oilers with the press fit worm gear have been indestructible.

Another example:

Skidoo tundra 250 lt, tundra ll/R used a plastic oiler gear for the injection pump.

Most trappers delete it and just run mixed. Plastic gears aren't always a good thing in the cold, shouldn't be too surprising.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/01/21.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
673, I'm not sure if you cut in sustained 15-30 below zero as I do, but even cold weather bar oil thinned with diesel isn't enough to keep the plastic worm gears proper. They are brittle in that type of hard cold.

I have worn out worm gears before, not very many in 40+ years 3-4 maybe in my husqvarna's, but whatever.
So no on the winch?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 673

I have worn out worm gears before, not very many in 40+ years 3-4 maybe in my husqvarna's, but whatever.
So no on the winch?

Yes sir, Lewis winch. Spent a bit of time down in B C and i find your province remarkable:

Hiked wedemount lake trail to that cabin. Steep and lost a toenail breaking in some lowas toe jamming down that vertical sht.

Tribal gathering in lillooet bc in spring time.

Bought a right hand drive hj61 landcruiser (imported from Japan) from Victoria island back to Alaska. Coming back, learned how to shift gears from right hand side of vehicle in Vancouver traffic. Talk about learning under pressure. Pissed off some commuters I'm sure as I stalled middle of lions gate bridge. Drove that crazy Japanese rig for at least 6 months.

Attended a rodeo in Chetwynd. Saw the most beautiful Cree Indian gal I've ever seen in my life. She was thin, 6 ft tall with a cowboy hat and tight jeans.

Campfires at lower post Res with a construction contractor by the name of Amos. He won one of those rodeos, real good moose hunter by horse.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
On the Lewis winch, right on, they are sweet.
and a big yes to the hot Cree girls grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What duo you do with a Lewis winch?
Just a tool to pull, or is there something it's applied to often?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lewis Chainsaw Winch....Lots of guys use them for hunting, you can pull a Moose out from the back of some swamp or uphill. You just have to be able to get the Winch and powerhead to the location, so the Winch I'm guessing is 30lbs and the saw 20lbs.

Lots of guys like myself use them for skidding Logs, cut in lengths to where I can buck them up. They pull 4,000 lbs straight pull or double that with a snatchblock 8,000 lbs. They work great for getting unstuck.

I run my Winch with a Stihl powerhead that has around 75 CC, they recommend a a certain size powerhead to get the best performance out of the Winch.

A Capstan Winch may be abit better for hunting applications, but for skidding logs and getting unstuck, its the Chainsaw Winch.
https://lewiswinch.com/

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
673, nice post bud. Yep ah Lewis is about right for most anything logging.

My 660 magnum was too much, snapped a cable pulling up a second story deck piece.

Used it to winch a 2000lb, 18 ft tall Alaskan meat cache up right.

Yep, 70 cc class just about right.

I handled one of those new capstan chainsaw winches at the saw shop yesterday. They are nice! Lightweight and only needs a 40-50 cc saw. You're right, for hunting and getting a boat over a beaver dam, by gully would that be tough to beat. 2500 lb pull strength.

You are truly blessed with good saw shops down your way.

Cannon in Langley BC is building me a custom 32 inch low profile ripping bar, so I can run thin kerf logosol/Stihl pmx riping chain for my white birch cuts.

Keep that fkn spruce sap off my nice cannon hardwoods bar. Less kerf loss too.

The days of begging for a husq 376xp/ jonsered 2172 or a Stihl 46/460/44/440 are over.
Never can find a good one for anywhere near $750 herein AK or west coast in general.

Echo 7310:
https://www.sawsuppliers.com/products/echo-cs-7310p-professional-chain-saw

Walkers saw shop in BC are getting these things brand new in the box from customers, for port and muffler work. At that price,why the heck not?! From coast to coast, saw shops and tree workers are liking these 7310's

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/02/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
673, thanks. Seems you have enough use to justify cost.
Would love to find one laying around, cheap.
Seems handy, just not something we would use, much.

Capstan would be like Sour Owl [bleep] to move a deer or bear though.

Mainer, seems like most of the saw hot rodders are in Western Canada.
There is one loca l here, but he is new.
I'm not letting him touch my perfectly good 372xp.
I would like it improved, not ruined.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Dillon, you loose alot of low end feathering (partial throttle grunt) on a ported saw.

You gain alot of power up top. Ported saws are either on, or off.

Takes a minute or two to get used to it.

If you're constantly into big oak, maple, white pine or ash, for work, go for it.

I can't justify porting up here in interior Alaska, 30 below zero wood cuts better at slower chain speeds with cutters filed at 20-25 degrees, and my biggest spruce felling is only 32-36 inches.

All I have here is spruce or birch or spruce or birch or spruce.............

Or birch.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dillon, you loose alot of low end feathering (partial throttle grunt) on a ported saw.

If you're constantly into big oak, maple, white pine or ash, for work, go for it.

I can't justify porting up here in interior Alaska, 30 below zero wood cuts better at slower chain speeds with cutters filed at 20-25 degrees, and my biggest spruce felling is only 32-36 inches.

Or birch.

Joe Vogler wanted them “boreal weeds” cut too, ya know!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
673, thanks. Seems you have enough use to justify cost.
Would love to find one laying around, cheap.
Seems handy, just not something we would use, much.

Capstan would be like Sour Owl [bleep] to move a deer or bear though.

Mainer, seems like most of the saw hot rodders are in Western Canada.
There is one loca l here, but he is new.
I'm not letting him touch my perfectly good 372xp.
I would like it improved, not ruined.

Dillonbuck
I found mine used, saw and winch. I see they are on ebay etc...watch out for Chinese crap.
The Lewis is made here in BC.

For what I do, its the clever use of a snatch block that saves me grief, but the winch allows me to get the right angle for skidding logs when I can't get the proper angle using my truck and snatch block, and 100-200ft of cable.

Where it really shines is....I can get the tree's closer to home the other guy's can't, unless they have a portable winch.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry mainer, the boy sold it last month.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
673, nice post bud. Yep ah Lewis is about right for most anything logging.

My 660 magnum was too much, snapped a cable pulling up a second story deck piece.

Used it to winch a 2000lb, 18 ft tall Alaskan meat cache up right.

Yep, 70 cc class just about right.

I handled one of those new capstan chainsaw winches at the saw shop yesterday. They are nice! Lightweight and only needs a 40-50 cc saw. You're right, for hunting and getting a boat over a beaver dam, by gully would that be tough to beat. 2500 lb pull strength.

You are truly blessed with good saw shops down your way.

Cannon in Langley BC is building me a custom 32 inch low profile ripping bar, so I can run thin kerf logosol/Stihl pmx riping chain for my white birch cuts.

Keep that fkn spruce sap off my nice cannon hardwoods bar. Less kerf loss too.

The days of begging for a husq 376xp/ jonsered 2172 or a Stihl 46/460/44/440 are over.
Never can find a good one for anywhere near $750 herein AK or west coast in general.

Echo 7310:
https://www.sawsuppliers.com/products/echo-cs-7310p-professional-chain-saw

Walkers saw shop in BC are getting these things brand new in the box from customers, for port and muffler work. At that price,why the heck not?! From coast to coast, saw shops and tree workers are liking these 7310's

You have an exciting life up there it sounds like. I use Husqvarna's pretty much exclusively now, I have alot of parts for Husqvarna's so that's pretty much it. Let me know if you need something you can't find, maybe I can help you out there.

There isn't very many Saw Men around the interior anymore, most of them on down on the Coast or Island.

My Knee's are too beat up for falling now, I just do firewood, 300+ cords a year, so in the morning and evening I can barely walk, the rest of the time isn't too bad, lol.

I only hear good things about Walker's saw work, good luck to you.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Cool bud thanks, don't need spry knees when there bc eye candy all over the dmn place, ha!

Yep I here yah, three one year tours in the Iraq war, no bees knees here.

What kinda firewood truck are you running? My opinion (no brand loyalty here), fire wood trucks should only have the following: 6bt Cummins, 300 ford inline 6 or 292 Chevy inline six.

Currently building a new firewood truck:

Taking the entire fully locked 4:56 geared, m1028 cucv drivetrain and slapping it in my 1968 k20. Those 1 and 1/4 ton military springs too. Don't want my nose in the air with 6000 lbs of birch in the bed. Taking out the 327 Chevy for a built 292 inline 6:
www.12bolt.com

My old firewood truck was a 1992 w-350 with Cummins and 5 speed. Was excellent low end torque, but awful to deal with in winter.

Anyways, look how clean that 2172 is. Hell, there isn't even wood dust on it. I don't think it's seen ah cord of wood in its towny boy life. Almost sinful to lock the thing in a winch, but there she stays......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ironbender

Or birch.

Joe Vogler wanted them “boreal weeds” cut too, ya know!

Had to look that guy up iron. Bizarre guy, geeze that's was some weird Alaskan history. Hey I just got a fella from down your way, drop off an enticer 2 at lynden in soldotna to ship north. Sold it for less than a used chainsaw. He must've thought it was garbage since it looked old.

Too warm for milling and firewood with the dog team, so woodsbombin till the snow goes rotten.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mainer, I hear you on putting a perfectly good saw on the winch, but what to do, its painful, I have a 461 magnum that never wore out a full chain on my Lewis.
This is one of them, 85 chevy 454..propane, I just like to use it for hunting now, put a shyte pile of wood on it, its got the best stuff, dana 70 rear and dana 60 front., turbo 400 auto.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then this 88 f350 7.3 diesel with a dump, love this truck, electric winch on front and back, just for getting out of a jam.
It ain't purdy but I keep it maintained always, its a tank.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Rock on firewood man, you got some load haulers. Winch for the back of the truck? You know what's going on!

Last piece of the puzzle is a fast PTO winch for the back of the Chevy, to go with my cucv np205 transfer case that has back of the transfer case pto. Thinking a surplus HMMWV winch.

Here's my cutsite tonight:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.