Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kenneth,

Savannah is a beautiful historic city. I was stationed at Hunter and also at Stewart. There is some decent deer hunting on Hunter. Stewart is absolutely polluted with wild hogs and you can hunt them year round. There is decent deer hunting too. There are at least a dozen ponds for fishing on Stewart and some of them hold some really nice bass. The Savannah National Wildlife refuge is also full of hogs.

I’m not going to lie, the humidity is bad, especially when you are doing physical training. The area is also infested with sand gnats that come out only when it’s pleasant, not when it’s real hot or real cold. The gnats come out in clouds and land on your skin and give you a little bite that itches- but when there is hundreds of them doing it it can be very miserable. Lots of salt water fishing. Tybee island is nice. Beaufort SC is a nice town that is close by as well as Hilton Head- all those places have sand gnats when the temps are right, but he will have much less problems with them in the cities than he will while conducting PT or being out in the field- especially close to any marshy areas. Tell him to take a bus tour of Savannah when he gets there. There is just so much to see in that city and a good start is simply taking a tour.

Tell him thank you for his service. I used to be the prosecutor for the Ranger battalion there and can assure you they are a different breed!

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Both the negative and positive posts are accurate in some way, except for the one about it not being miserable in the summer. I suppose a native might be accustomed to it never cooling off and gnats feeding on you, but not me. I try to get everything outside done by 0900. And a change in dress may be necessary. Stuff will grow on you if you do not wear appropriate attire.

I don't live there. I just work there often.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Forest City Gun Club. It is the oldest continuously operating gun club in the US. They have held the GA State and SE Regional sporting clays championships there several times. In my view, it is way nicer than the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio. GA State will be held there in June. If he gets a chance yo shoot there, I highly recommend it.
Yes, it is hot and humid, but the beach is not bad. The coastal islands are great places with lots of golf etc. Also, great seafood if you ask the locals where to go. Avoid the touristy places and you can eat very well, fior reasonable. The spanish moss in the trees and the historical parts of town are beautiful. Beats the [bleep] out of Fort Sam Houston, Fort Sill, and several other bases I can think of. South GA has opportunities for bird hunting and deer hunting and the fishing should be great. I think he will be happy there.

regards,

Kris

Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sooner1911
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Forest City Gun Club. It is the oldest continuously operating gun club in the US. They have held the GA State and SE Regional sporting clays championships there several times. In my view, it is way nicer than the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio. GA State will be held there in June. If he gets a chance yo shoot there, I highly recommend it.
Yes, it is hot and humid, but the beach is not bad. The coastal islands are great places with lots of golf etc. Also, great seafood if you ask the locals where to go. Avoid the touristy places and you can eat very well, fior reasonable. The spanish moss in the trees and the historical parts of town are beautiful. Beats the [bleep] out of Fort Sam Houston, Fort Sill, and several other bases I can think of. South GA has opportunities for bird hunting and deer hunting and the fishing should be great. I think he will be happy there.

regards,

Kris

Thanks,

It's interesting, peoples outlooks, no one right, no one wrong, just different outlooks on life.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Both the negative and positive posts are accurate in some way, except for the one about it not being miserable in the summer. I suppose a native might be accustomed to it never cooling off and gnats feeding on you, but not me. I try to get everything outside done by 0900

Ya. I get it, Sam may get used to the weather, or not...

He's 19 years in Wisconsin kinda convinced him that zero degrees wasn't ideal either...(cant blame him)...

Like many places, You'd prefer to spend about 6 months in a different latitude, He loves the water, and really, He could be deployed a bunch also.

Has a Father, I'm just curious what his surroundings maybe like, His last 8 months in basic have been hell for several reasons, One way or the other, He's ready for a move.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Bristoe
32 murders in 2020.

Average month in Chicago.

average weekend in Chicago

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Bristoe
32 murders in 2020.

Average month in Chicago.

average weekend in Chicago

I'm assuming the ammo shortage will start to affect Chicago also........................

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife was born there but she hasn't been back in 60 years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was stationed at Hunter in the early to mid 80's ,there is a a waterway that runs thru Hunter. at least back in the 80's .if you went thru a class .they had boats right on the base you could rent and run the river to fish or what ever ,if he wanted too . Fort Pulaski a good civil war fort to check out ,8th Air Force World War -2 museum is in I think Pooler .a suburb ,of Savannah ,wish that was there when i was there in the 80's .River street for partying ,.oh yea hotter than crap to this old hillbilly ,could not wait to leave the heat and humidity , never forgot the sand fleas ,.never seen green pollen coat cars till i went there .oh running PT is fun when the paper mills release its smell .in the morning ,makes you want to puke running those 3 -5 miles expetially if you been drinking all night..lol..but it bad even if you sober and gulping air running . he will know the smell when he smells it ,lol..Hunter did have a pistol range back then we could use on our off time for our privite owned pistols ,dont know if they still have that now ..had to go to Stewart rifle ranges to shoot privet owned rifles. back then you could only hunt deer on Hunter with Bow and arrow

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Some good points made above.
Slidellkid made some great points.
Savannah has great coastal fishing: speck trout, redfish, flounder, tarpon and shark.
Savannah has great seafood. Big shrimping area.
Forest City Gun Club is awesome if you are a shotgunner: skeet, trap, clays. Very nice facility close to town.
Very close to Hilton Head for great golf.
Lots of job opportunities after military service: Gulfstream and the Port of Savannah is now one of the largest on the east coast.
Economy and job opportunities are wide open in Savannah.
St. Patrick’s Day is a big celebration due to large Irish catholic population and Savannah has one of the largest parties in the country behind NYC, Boston and Chicago. Beautiful old homes. Sherman actually spared the city from the torch because it was so pretty.

Downsides have been hammered in prior comments: hot and steamy in Summer. Large African American population and some low income areas. Pick where to live with caution and everything can be very nice.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.