Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
,...from some refinance scam. nI've been getting 10-12 calls a day. Every time they call it's from a different number. It's also a different person.

I've spent the day going "John Bean" on them.

They start their talk and I say:

"Now,..I done asked y'all polite to quit calling' me. I've fount out where y'all's at,...and if I hafta come down there I'm goan brang my boys with me,...and if my boys come with me somebody's ace will get whupped!"

It's interesting to listen to the silence that occurs afterwards.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
By answering the phone and talking, you just confirmed that your number is valid, and your number was shared.

Expect more calls now.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Especially seeing as most of these scam calls are coming from overseas, they know someone in the States won't be coming after them.
If I don't know who is calling me I don't pick up.
About a year ago I was getting bombarded with spam calls, I ignored them and it did stop.
Worst thing anyone can do is answer those calls.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, once you answer your number becomes a commodity. My dad thinks that he’ll answer then waste their time so they get frustrated and will never call back.

Can’t teach an old dog....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Yep, once you answer your number becomes a commodity. My dad thinks that he’ll answer then waste their time so they get frustrated and will never call back.

Can’t teach an old dog....

I can relate. I used to like to mess with them also.I'd answer in Spanish, German, Amish...........sometimes I'd answer and pretend I was an old lady who was deaf. Used to tell the credit card callers all kind of chit..........like I was glad they called, because I had just got out of jail after being locked up for 20 years and needed a credit card so I could go to a massage parlor.

However, these days we just look at the caller ID and let it ring..........that's the land line. Only reason we've kept it is because of the alarm system, and we could switch that over to cell, and because we're old fashioned and still don't trust cell phone reliability.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Seems like practically every one of the spam calls we get are recordings and each time from different phone numbers so any negative verbal response or blocking phone numbers is a total pointless waste of breath and time as well as a waste of our phone service minutes (Tracfone).

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Especially seeing as most of these scam calls are coming from overseas, they know someone in the States won't be coming after them.

****If I don't know who is calling me I don't pick up. ****

About a year ago I was getting bombarded with spam calls, I ignored them and it did stop.
Worst thing anyone can do is answer those calls.

BING BING !!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by LoadClear
By answering the phone and talking, you just confirmed that your number is valid, and your number was shared.

Expect more calls now.

Precisely. Being cute by answering and harassing the caller makes you the fool.

Last edited by dale06; 04/02/21.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like to answer and engage in conversation and then put them on hold. Come back in a minute or two and repeat.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Expect more calls now.

yep, do not ack any of these calls

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Unfortunately a surprising number of legitimate businesses with good reason to call don't show up on caller ID as such and different departments are often located in other areas and/or states so important and necessary calls can be missed if ignored assuming they are spam calls.

Had that very thing happen a few years back on a call from the accounting department of our home owners and vehicle insurance company. Their accounting department was in a different part of the state so the call was from a area code I didn't recognize and business name didn't show on caller ID. They were calling to let us know that they hadn't received our scheduled premium payment yet and our insurance coverage would lapse if not received before midnight. Only time that had happened in the decades we've been with that company. Our check which had been mailed in plenty of time ahead of due date to get to them apparently had been delayed or lost in the USPS mail. We were able to immediately take care of it and canceled the check we sent prior.

Thankfully I didn't simply ignore their call assuming it was just another spam call because no caller ID and from a area code I wasn't familiar with.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have a land line. I don't answer any cell all that I don't recognize. If it's legitimate, they'll leave a message. After a while, the number of spam calls dwindled to maybe a couple a week. A few will leave a message and they're invariably for extended warranty coverage on our car.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never answer your phone or open your door.

Nothing good can come from it. 🤣

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Expect more calls now.

If I do answer the phone I don’ say anything.The recordings seem to be voice activated, if you stay silent they seem to time out In a few seconds and end the call. If an "out of town" accent says hello several time I just stay silent until they hang up. My thought is maybe my number will be flagged as a non Responsive listing and be removed from their list.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We don't have a land line. I don't answer any cell all that I don't recognize. If it's legitimate, they'll leave a message. After a while, the number of spam calls dwindled to maybe a couple a week. A few will leave a message and they're invariably for extended warranty coverage on our car.

And it really is this simple

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Wait until you get located by the mortgage refinance phone banks. They're relentless. 10 calls a day that begin about 9:30 AM and go on until 7:00 PM.

They're not robots calls. There's a person on the other end. They're Americans.

I mess with them if I'm in the mood. I keep my phone turned off when I'm not.

If they don't get tired of it after a while I'll get another phone number.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You sir, are now what they call:
A hot lead.
(Meaning a real number with someone who answers and probably owns some property)

Just start answering:
"Good afternoon, Bureau of Fraud Investigation, telemarketing division"

That should get them to stop calling.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Wait until you get located by the mortgage refinance phone banks. They're relentless. 10 calls a day that begin about 9:30 AM and go on until 7:00 PM.

They're not robots calls. There's a person on the other end. They're Americans.

I mess with them if I'm in the mood. I keep my phone turned off when I'm not.

If they don't get tired of it after a while I'll get another phone number.

I don’t have a personal phone listing under my name. The only numbers I have are connected to my business. That makes completely ignoring unknown numbers or switching numbers periodically an issue. This time of year property buyers are the main PITA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.