Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My 5’ foot nothing wife shot my g30 & g26 well....

She likes the g26.

The lady shoots it good.

I will look for pics ......

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We need pics of her to diagnose the issue correctly

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MOGC
Firing pin safety spring in sideways... trying to picture how you could do that?

That spring, as I'm sure you know, is really flimsy and super tiny. If you let off the spring tension or fumble around with the firing pin safety enough while trying to get the extractor in, the spring can bounce around in the slot just enough to get jammed up in there sideways. Even when jammed in sideways, it retains enough spring on the firing pin safety that you don't really notice it unless you're deliberately looking once the extractor is fully in place. I check now after reassembly... when it happens, you can see that it doesn't look quite right as it's making contact with the extractor, once assembled.

F
F
Yes, my wife and I both practice on a regular basis shooting both right and left hand only with our Glocks. My wife is of average height/weight and does not have problems shooting one handed as long as she can get "crush grip" (as taught by Massad Ayoob) and can lock her wrist, elbow and shoulder to get her weight behind the pistol. With that said, my wife is also abnormally strong for a woman and competes in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and has the requisite upper body strength and many years of practice/competition and world class instruction, too. I am much bigger than she is, but I can get a Glock 17 to stovepipe every round if I hold it loosely in hand with my wrist and elbow bent with no tension so the pistol does not have firm resistance/support in cycling. It is not necessarily technique-- it helps, but sometimes some firearms just aren't a good fit for a particular shooter.

I would ask around and see if you can find a S&W M&P for her to try and see if she likes it and if it works better for her with the same ammo. The market is crazy right now, but if she finds the M&P works better for her, she should be able to trade a Glock for an M&P as the M&P is cheaper when new. My wife and I would be happy to take her shooting if she happens to be near Michigan.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have no idea why or how, but my Glock 20 would stovepipe very frequently with a particular FMJ load at the same round count in one particular magazine. I was getting frustrated. Finally my son pointed it out to me: it was the same count in that one magazine. It would do it almost every time with either of us, and I can assure you neither of us were limp-wristing it. I probably have 5 or six magazines for that pistol. I got rid of the problem mag and never had another problem with that pistol.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have no idea why or how, but my Glock 20 would stovepipe very frequently with a particular FMJ load at the same round count in one particular magazine. I was getting frustrated. Finally my son pointed it out to me: it was the same count in that one magazine. It would do it almost every time with either of us, and I can assure you neither of us were limp-wristing it. I probably have 5 or six magazines for that pistol. I got rid of the problem mag and never had another problem with that pistol.

Problems are often traceable to a particular magazine.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Wifey has a 19, no issues with it at all, even with my hand loads. Wifey likes hell out of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My two cents (and I often get change back):

1. Have a good, experienced Glock shooter shoot the gun. If it runs for the good shooter, you're done troubleshooting.

If she won't/can't have a good shooter shoot it, then she's just chasing her tail with internet advice. All of the previous tips/ideas are on point, but without the gun in front of us, it's just guesswork based on probabilities. I will say this, however, I recently sold a Glock 19 and currently own 3 Glock 19's and one Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel in it. None of them are ammo sensitive. None have ever had an issue with a magazine (OEM or aftermarket). None have given anyone trouble when shot one-handed (strong or weak hand). None need special babying in regard to cleaning or oiling. All of them run with low book loads of HP-38 and a 115gr bullet (they don't need stout loads to make them run).

I say all of that, because I think that in this case it probably isn't the gun, the magazine(s), or the ammo. It's her. Before launching into the long process of "looking for a solution," have a reliable shooter shoot the gun.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ammo?
Magazine?
Limp wrist?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
I say all of that, because I think that in this case it probably isn't the gun, the magazine(s), or the ammo. It's her.

A person would have to be living in a fishbowl to not know that Glocks are susceptible to limp-wristing. It's not her, it's the pistol - unless she have problems limp-wristing other designs.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I say all of that, because I think that in this case it probably isn't the gun, the magazine(s), or the ammo. It's her.

A person would have to be living in a fishbowl to not know that Glocks are susceptible to limp-wristing. It's not her, it's the pistol - unless she have problems limp-wristing other designs.

I'll stand by my original comment. I offered it based on my own experience with 4 different G19's (gens 3,4, and 5) and a G23 w/ a 9mm barrel. Knowing how well most Glock's function, statistically, it's not the gun. She should start by having somebody else shoot the gun before going down the road of chasing issues that might not exist. If it is NOT the shooter, that's fine. She can then switch up her ammo (the 2nd most likely issue, and also an easy fix). Then she can try to isolate a particular magazine and then go from there as necessary.

However, she should eliminate the most likely and obvious issue first. There's no reason NOT to.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP stated the girls brother has shot the gun with no issues. I'll stick by my assertion the girls form isn't providing enough resistance for the gun to function. Again, that can be grip, wrist, elbows or shoulders. She needs to grip the piss out of the gun and push out HARD.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by JOG

'xactly. Glock fanboys won't hear it, though. She just needs a better pistol.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty good example of how not just glocks but most polymer guns can be limp wristed at will. I think it has more to do with technique than raw strength although im sure strength plays a part as well.

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought my wife a glock 42 when they came out, jammed constantly....when she shot it. I have heard from others they are very easy to limp wrist also. Thats the only pistol she ever limp wristed, she shot my lcp fine, my smith m&ps, even my glock 19. Her 42 never jammed with me shooting it or her father.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by killerv
I bought my wife a glock 42 when they came out, jammed constantly....when she shot it. I have heard from others they are very easy to limp wrist also. Thats the only pistol she ever limp wristed, she shot my lcp fine, my smith m&ps, even my glock 19. Her 42 never jammed with me shooting it or her father.

How many times did you shoot her father?

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,513
Posts18,490,790
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.