Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
John,

I would have loved to have listed lion as one of my top three, because I love to hunt lions at least as much as I love to hunt anything else, and I've taken just one superb, big, ancient, scarred-up old male lion in Tanzania.

The trouble is, I don't see that I have much of a future hunting lions in Africa. Like you, I haven't seen very many photos of truly good Zimbabwe lions, which remain affordable, and the price to get a lion as good as the one I already have taken in Botswana, Zambia, or Tanzania is off the chart any more. I wouldn't even consider any sort of canned lion hunt anywhere else.

So unless something changes (unlikely!), I don't think I'll be hunting lions anytime soon..............

AD

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like pigs too but am surprised the warthogs rallied to third place. Goes to show you looks ain't everything!

Gdv

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Little late to this party, but I really wanted a honey badger. (Don't know why.) Then, when I finally got a chance, it turned out they weren't legal. Well, at least I saw one.

Had a chance at a pangolin (sp?), but didn't see the point.

Hunted forest hog a little, but never saw one.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well bob,

we weren't allowed any personal cameras, and i've never digitized any of my old pics anyway but, the pangolin is sort of like an anteater with heavy prehistoric looking scales on top, and some fur below...

the congo buffalo is an odd looking cow... the ones we saw were quite shy... i'm convinced that the only reason that we saw them was the fact that we were in stealth mode....
they are quite small, like a half grown guernsey calf, with odd swept back horns

the bush pig is, well, a pig.....

Last edited by johnw; 08/11/07.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This is open to anybody, whether they've hunted in Africa or not. Just tell me the top three animals you prefer to hunt, or would prefer to hunt, REALISTICALLY.

For me the top 3 would be:
Cape Buffalo
Greater Kudu
Warthog

Although I could replace warthog with a zebra or eland and not be dissatisfied.

If was insanely blessed with funds and could go more than once somewhere along the line I would like to include a PAC elephant & a lion.

John ditto on the mention of an article for the first time hunter in Africa. How about one on hunting Africa on a budget,ie inexpensive hunts,how to find good airfares, etc. I think something like that could prompt a lot more people to hunt Africa.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BUFFALO and more Buffalo!!

Lots of BIG BORES...600 is my Favorite but have BIGGER!💥
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Allen,

Having recently investigated the "high cost of lions" (as Ruark put it) I sympathize. In fact, due to my sympathy I'll give lion an extra, semi-honorary vote....

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elephant
Buffalo
Bushbuck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About trophy fees increasing in tanzania, i catched this on a french forum (source: the hunting report)

did not translate: amounts speak from themselves

Information donn�e par The Hunting Report :

Le gouvernement Tanzanien vient d'annoncer une augmentation spectaculaire des taxes d'abatage et de la taxe dite de "concession".

- Antilopes : les taxes augmentent de 35 � 100 %, les grandes antilopes co�teront donc entre 2000 et 2200 US$.

- Buffle : la taxe passe de 750 � 1500 US$ pour le 1er buffle, 1800 et 2000 pour les suivants.

- l'Hippopotame passe de 1050 � 2500 US$

- le Lion et le L�opard passent chacun de 2500 � 12 000 US$

- L'El�phant passe � 15 000 US$

- La taxe dite de "concession" passe dans certaines zones de 10 000 US$ � 50 000 US$.

Ceux qui auront �t� "lessiv�s" par la taxe de "concession" pourront se concentrer sur le porc-�pic qui, � 150 US$ est le moins cher de tous les gibiers...

Va t'in tch�re !
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
tanzania is one place I'm looking for my 09 hunt and will have to see how this shakes out before committing a deposit there....

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since "reasonable" seems to be mainly plains game, the top three are:

1. Sable / Roan
2. Kudu
3. Oryx / Gemsbuck

Of course the Buffalo is up there but for a general safari would probably double the time and cost.

What I'd really like to see is more information about the hunt it's self (technique, terrain, ect) and the equipment involved (rifles and such....and why nthese were chosen). Less about which manufacturer paid the most to have his products advertized in the form of a "hunting story". A good article should be more than "me and Joe got a big 'un" followed by a ten page ad for the latest bullet, rifle, ect.

I'd also like to see more stories on the lesser read-about game. The idea of a good Hippo story is just the ticket and there must be many other game animals that we seldom read about. Maybe varmit calling for the various small preditors, or shooting game birds in Africa (which I've heard was excellent and varied).

Just an idea.....

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect you'll find that hunting sable or roan is right up there in cost to buffalo these days.

I already have an African bird-shooting piece scheduled in SUCCESSFUL HUNTER for next year. May do a varmint piece, as it is indeed a lot of fun.

These days I am mostly running African articles by long-time PH's who really know the animal in question, instead of American writers who have taken maybe 3-4 (or only one) of the same animal. Have two good PH's writing for the magazine right now, Kevin Robertson, who is pretty well known already as "Doctari,"

The other is Kevin Thomas, a long-time PH in his 50's, who also happens to be a very fine writer. He just never tried it until he got older! Originally from Zimbabwe, he moved to South Africa in 2000 and now works in both countries, and has his own safari company in RSA. I hunted with him in 2002 and found he was working on a book, and it was very good. After becoming editor at SH I contacted him. He's the one who did the hippo piece (an exceopt from the book) and just submitted a great story on bushbuck. He is also a fairly well-known artist in RSA, and I hope to run some of his paintings with his articles.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
G
Lion
Leopard
Bushbuck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,
I'm not sure what the cost of a Sable hunt is today, but in Zim in 2005, it wasn't close to the cost of a buffalo hunt...

Given that, and the fact I've only been once (to Zim) my favorites were Nyala and Sable. Hunting the Eland was fantastic as well.

I'd love to go back for elephant, buff and lion. Maybe someday...

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Zim: Min 12 days @400/day plus 3500 dollar trophy fee. That's about the average I could come up with. Other plains game available of course. jorge

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/13/07. Reason: content

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect you'll find that hunting sable or roan is right up there in cost to buffalo these days.

I already have an African bird-shooting piece scheduled in SUCCESSFUL HUNTER for next year. May do a varmint piece, as it is indeed a lot of fun.

These days I am mostly running African articles by long-time PH's who really know the animal in question, instead of American writers who have taken maybe 3-4 (or only one) of the same animal. Have two good PH's writing for the magazine right now, Kevin Robertson, who is pretty well known already as "Doctari,"

The other is Kevin Thomas, a long-time PH in his 50's, who also happens to be a very fine writer. He just never tried it until he got older! Originally from Zimbabwe, he moved to South Africa in 2000 and now works in both countries, and has his own safari company in RSA. I hunted with him in 2002 and found he was working on a book, and it was very good. After becoming editor at SH I contacted him. He's the one who did the hippo piece (an exceopt from the book) and just submitted a great story on bushbuck. He is also a fairly well-known artist in RSA, and I hope to run some of his paintings with his articles.

JB

very cool.........thats the kinda stuff i like to read....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
DPhillips,

Jorge's sable quote comes to 8300. I just priced one at right at $7000, and a buffalo hunt from the same company was $9000.

JB

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John,

1. Cape Buffalo

2. Elephant

3. Lesser Kudu

RS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me- oryx, kudu, eland.

Thanks for asking

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MD, Tell me more about the Eland. I see it named quite often, but to me, other than being bigger than a sports car, it just doesn't seem that interesting. Seems like shooting a longhorn in the Texas brush......diffecult due to terrain but boring......and ugly too.

I see the blue bulls the same way.....big, tough, but ugly with no horns. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

I know the Sable /Roan are in the same cost-range as Buffalo......but are still plains game in my mind. Buffalo added to a plains game safari seems like a complete second hunt added on top.......not that the idea of Buffalo isn't attractive. Any of the Big 5 is attractive.

Speaking of the Big 5........is the hunting of Rhino still possible? Would love to see a story about that too.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.