Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I will never hear Bach again, without also thinking of EH.

And my favorite fugue. 😊

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Last episode tonight. I'll watch it again, but it's more or less ruining my appreciation of the man. As an English major in college, my profs adored him, which ought to come as no surprise, and he did indeed change the way novels are written forever. I see EH through his books, and what I see is a master of language. Let that be.
Pretty much this. The WAY he writes is so simple. Very little use of any extraneous words - every word has meaning. Truly a Master of the written word. - - - -

This observation reminds me of an excellent writer/teacher I new up in NM - one of his instructive pieces is named "Make Every Word Tell".
EH was more than a master of language, he was a master of effect. He chose each word with intent, and aimed each sentence with utter discipline. In any of his works, using less words or lesser words is impossible. I don't think The Old Man And The Sea will ever be equalled.
That comment about the discipline of his writing is very insightful, and many would agree with your opinion about The Old Man And The Sea. The guy pursued a quest to experience such a range of potential aspects in human life - much more broad and also detailed than most folks attempt - and those experiences seemed to be the root stimulus of his wordsmithing. Some creative people strive to live as if they are far beyond "normal" boundaries. His careless, hurtful and destructive excesses are well known - beyond what most would deem worthy or wise - and the life thread played out as many would expect. That may be why some of us are discussing him now.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I will never hear Bach again, without also thinking of EH. And my favorite fugue. 😊
Bob, your post prompts curiosity, among other things. So, upon hearing which Bach works (one would assume J.S.) and, more so, which fugue?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My Pa was my English and literature teacher, and my principal through 9th grade. He loved literature and even as a devout Christian he praised the writing style of Hemingway and I read most of his books as a young man. I gained a love for reading at a young age and am thankful for that. I have always been saddened by the lifestyles and the untimely demise of so many . I appreciated the amount of research that Burns did in some of his early stuff years ago , but these past many years his incessant need to pander to the left has me scratching my head . His work would be timeless if he would just leave out the leftist politics!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Burns is talented - also an ideologue and an opportunist. He is given opportunities to emphasize his ideology - those who buy/consume his work do this.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I will never hear Bach again, without also thinking of EH. And my favorite fugue. 😊
Bob, your post prompts curiosity, among other things. So, upon hearing which Bach works (one would assume J.S.) and, more so, which fugue?

Yes JS. But a fan of CPE too! My fav fugue in the little fugue in G minor.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I was 10 years old I read THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.
When I was 40 years old I read the book to my kids.

It seemed like two different books.
As a kid it was a fishing trip.
As an adult is seems to be about the old man screwing up because he focuses on the wrong things.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Clarkm
When I was 10 years old I read THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.
When I was 40 years old I read the book to my kids.

It seemed like two different books.
As a kid it was a fishing trip.
As an adult is seems to be about the old man screwing up because he focuses on the wrong things.

He just went out too far. 😉

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EH was of course a very powerful personality and extremely talented and creative storyteller who was able to live a very, very interesting life he wanted. However, as influential as he was, I can't stand his creations. As noted by Okangan, his narcissism leaks through his words. I stated in a thread in the "Africa" forum, to compare Ruark and Hemingway,,,,Hemingway would spend 3 chapters describing a hardship on the way to the hunting grounds, and to Ruark the same incident would be a footnote. EH uses the situation to define the man, but Ruark uses the character of the man to define the situation.

Best writer of the 20th? nah. Choose among Steinbeck, Welles, Orwell, Fitzgerald, Eliot, Faulkner. The biggest reason EH is so regarded in this community is because he wrote about topics we like, hunting. But Hemingway was as much a 'brand' as the books he wrote.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've only seen the first two. Don't like Ken Burns but so far seems overall pretty well done with good photography.

Interesting story about Hemingway by Billy Herman the Brooklyn Dodger third baseman during the 40s in "Baseball When The Grass Was Real", Donald Honig.

In 1942 the Dodgers had spring training in Havana, Cuba. Hemingway invited four of the players to his gun club where they had some drinks and later to his house for more drinks. He said Hemingway was a great host until late in the evening when they had all had a lot to drink. Hemingway brought out some boxing gloves and challenged Hugh Casey a Dodger pitcher "a very quiet man" to a boxing match. Hemingway put on the gloves, handed Casey a set of gloves and sucker punched Casey as he started to put the gloves on knocking him down. Casey didn't say anything, got up, finished putting the gloves on and pretty much kicked Hemingway's ass knocking him down over and over until Hemingway kicked him in the balls and they stopped the fight. As they were preparing to leave Hemingway told Casey to stay over and challenged him to a duel with guns, knives or whatever. Casey refused and they left.

The next day Hemingway's wife brought him to the Dodgers training facility and he apologized for what had happened.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sucker punched while he was putting his gloves on? If this is true then Ernest was a real punk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
We've only seen the first two. Don't like Ken Burns but so far seems overall pretty well done with good photography.

Interesting story about Hemingway by Billy Herman the Brooklyn Dodger third baseman during the 40s in "Baseball When The Grass Was Real", Donald Honig.

In 1942 the Dodgers had spring training in Havana, Cuba. Hemingway invited four of the players to his gun club where they had some drinks and later to his house for more drinks. He said Hemingway was a great host until late in the evening when they had all had a lot to drink. Hemingway brought out some boxing gloves and challenged Hugh Casey a Dodger pitcher "a very quiet man" to a boxing match. Hemingway put on the gloves, handed Casey a set of gloves and sucker punched Casey as he started to put the gloves on knocking him down. Casey didn't say anything, got up, finished putting the gloves on and pretty much kicked Hemingway's ass knocking him down over and over until Hemingway kicked him in the balls and they stopped the fight. As they were preparing to leave Hemingway told Casey to stay over and challenged him to a duel with guns, knives or whatever. Casey refused and they left.

The next day Hemingway's wife brought him to the Dodgers training facility and he apologized for what had happened.

Not the only story of drink bringing out the worst in a man.

Wish I had noticed this thread a few days back so I could check our TV for when it was showing. Oh well, it's PBS, it'll be on again. Probably to raise money.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 2500HD, 70 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,835
Posts18,496,745
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.