Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by EdM
$500 Mauser M12 308 Win.

This

Mauser M12 Impact

I have three more shipping on Monday. Really a nice piece for twice the price.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I like the Tikka T3x but not chambered in a short action cartridge, a .308 Win in a long action sort of defeats the purpose of the short handy .308 Win bolt action rifles I love...My first choice would be a Kimber Montana or Adirondack model with My second choice a Model 70 EW but they are a little heavier than my ideal as i am a "weight Nazi" when it comes to rifles....If I was to chose a push feed rifle I would look hard at a Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0, these use Remington 700 base with 8-40 screws which is a nice touch that gives you many mounting options....Good luck....Hb

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a Browning BLR, and any 150-165 grain bullet that shoots well.

mine shoots 165 SGKs into less than an inch

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't forget about TC,'s. The Venture comes with a Houge stock, nice trigger, safety next to the 60 degree throw bolt and shoots inside 3/4". Threaded barrel is standard, with the weather shield metal around $5 hun.
The cheaper one is the Compass but also had just a plain hollow plastic stock, but both these rifles really shoot well.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Not sure there’s a bad choice for this, but each of those uses requires a different kind of rifle so I’d look at which of those you’ll do the most.

For still-hunting, I’d avoid flyweights as they tend to be hard to shoot well offhand. I’d get something that balances well and isn’t too heavy like a Remington 700 ADL Package rifle. Upgrade the optics to a fixed 4x or a good compact low-powered variable.

The box-blind rifle should be shorter than the still-hunting rifle and could be heavier. Any compact rifle would be fine, as would rifles sold as youth models. I’d suppress this one, so I’d look for a 18-20” carbine with a threaded barrel. A low-powered scope would handle most of your shots, but this rifle will be used a lot at dawn and dusk--if not at night under moonlight--and those scopes have small objectives which means a smaller exit pupil, so I’d get a 3-9 with an objective lens bigger than 40mm and keep it on 3x.

The steel-banging rifle depends on how far you want to go. Any decent sporter should get you to 500 yards. To go farther, add weight, length, and money. See the long-range forum for how much of each. The little bit of steel shooting that I’ve done has been addictive so don’t be surprised if you end up focused on this. Sky’s the limit on glass, but get ready to spend some serious cash for the precision and repeatability you’ll need to play this game well. Also get ready to invest heavily in loading components and time spent at the loading bench.

Any good cup-and-core from 150 to 180 grains would be fine for deer and hogs, but I’d favor the 165 Partition. Use whatever your rifle shoots best for the steel rifle.

For one rifle to do all three chores, any economy-grade rifle would probably be fine: Mauser 18, TC Compass, Winchester XPR, Remington 770, Ruger American, etc. Twice the money gets you a different mix of esthetics, features, materials, and technology, not necessarily more precision. In that price range, I’d consider Tikkas, Model 70s, Model 700s, a Barret Fieldcraft if you can find one, Kimber Montanas, and the Bergaras.

If you just want one scope, then I'd get a 3-9 with repeatable tracking and a mil-dot reticle.

If money is no object, then go full custom and get one rifle/optic for each use. The 308 will do all three chores with ease so how well you do that is up to you.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 01/28/21.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I’m happy with my Marlin X7 in .308. If was to buy a new .308 today, I’d lean towards a Tikka T3x or maybe a Mauser M12 or M18. My issue with the Mauser, I’d like to get my hands on one and try it out before I bought one. I have no desire to have another .308 at this time and my Marlin barely gets used the past two years. Maybe I’ll take it out caribou hunting in August, but I doubt it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Ky221
I’m on the search for a new hunting rifle and the CRF 308 thread got me thinking that a 308 would do everything I need a deer and pig rifle to do. I’m just having a hard time making my mind up as to which rifle.

If you were wanting a .308 for still hunting whitetail, box blind pigs and banging steel at the range and not being limited to CRF; what would you choose? How would you scope it, and what bullet would you choose for the 3 tasks? I’m leaning towards a Tikka and 165NBTS

If I am stand hunting with short distances to walk in, I would buy a Kimber Open Country, Ruger Scout, Browning X-Bolt, or Tikka in that order. Three mag-fed options to match magazines already in the safe and one blind. I think all of these rifles have a good weight and balance, are proven precision platforms, and require no fussing out of the box, but enough do-dads and aftermarket triggers exist to satisfy a garage gunsmith's desires.

For bullet selection, I have been very satisfied with Hornady's GMX bullets. Last year's hunting season resulted in a dead Sitka blacktail, whitetail, a medium black bear, and a few coyotes. All shots were inside of 250m and nothing moved from where it was shot. (Bullet impacts: Sitka=lungs/liver; whitetail=high shoulder/neck; black bear=top of neck/base of skull; coyotes=from tip to tail) I have also used the GMX bullets in a 7mm-08 and had similar results on rocky mountain elk spikes, cow elk, mule deer, and of course, coyotes. I have not recovered a bullet yet, but I have two freezers in the garage.

I have to say, though, I really dig the Mausers with the compartment in the stock. I'd like to see if I could stuff some Black Ovis game bags in there with a Havalon Piranta and a hunting license.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber 84 (what I have), but wouldn’t be opposed to a 70 Featherweight or Ruger Hawkeye.

Nothing wrong with the other offerings out there, those are just the 3 I’ve gravitated to and enjoy.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
M 70 Featherweight with a 3x9 scope.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Another nod for a Tikka.

Mine wear a 3-10 Nightforce SHV.
Load is Varget and 150 Accubonds at 2915.
I have a safe full of rifles and this one has become the first one I reach for.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My Bergara B14 Hunter is sure a nice piece! Conservative styling and shoots as well as the shooter can hold it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Well, I did....I decided I needed a .308 for a general use hunting rifle. A trip to Walmart yielded me a 700 ADL, a phone call to AG Composites got me a stock, Redhawk sent me some Grayboe Bottom metal, and a buddy had a brand new 10 twist Remington tube. A set of Talley LWs, and a placeholder scope until the LRTSi gets here Friday....

Its about perfect for what I want. All in, with a suppressor, I am right at 10lb. Light enough to carry all day, heavy enough to shoot. Just about exactly what I was after!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I really like that one - I'd say it's about perfect. I'd been contemplating a 308 for quite a while and yours is about what I was envisioning. Then a 'fire' member posted this for sale (his pic, not mine) - I couldn't resist and am pretty happy with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My favorite is my Kimber longmaster followed by the Montana . Gotta throw in the Springfield M1A Scout for shyts and grins.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
308 Winchester’s:
I have a Winchester FWT M70, three or four Remington 700’s, two TC Encores & my current heart-throb, a Sako 85 Finnlight II. All of them are more accurate than me & are a lot of fun to shoot.

A 308 will do all the Whitetail & hog duty you can throw at it. Chose a 308 for my first rifle as a kid & been hunting with it ever since. Never felt like I needed more. I have more but don’t need it, just wanted it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I like the Tikka T3x but not chambered in a short action cartridge, a .308 Win in a long action sort of defeats the purpose of the short handy .308 Win bolt action rifles I love...My first choice would be a Kimber Montana or Adirondack model with My second choice a Model 70 EW but they are a little heavier than my ideal as i am a "weight Nazi" when it comes to rifles....If I was to chose a push feed rifle I would look hard at a Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0, these use Remington 700 base with 8-40 screws which is a nice touch that gives you many mounting options....Good luck....Hb

It’s a half inch. *shrug*

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by spence1875
Sauer 100, Mauser 18 or a Tikka.

Good advice.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My all around .308 Win rifle for hunting, steel and fun is a Kimber 84M in an AG Composites stock, 22" and 24" Proof barrels (shown with 24"), EGW 30 moa rail, CDI Precision bottom metal with MAGPUL 5 and 10-round magazines, TriggerTech Field trigger, Titanium bolt handle, adjustable cheek riser, and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP in Nightforce Ti rings. I have a PT&G t-latch arriving tomorrow. The 84M is the top one in this photo and as shown with the SilencerCo Harvester suppressor it's under 9lb.

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
wood win 70 supergrade plastic montana

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,166
Posts18,484,458
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.