Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
in hard ground, long, heavy, pegs are set a a 60 degree angle to ground, pointing TOWARD tent (That one always seemed weird to me.)
I remember that from years ago. I remember seeing some directions on setting up a wall tent with wooden pegs angled toward the tent. I was trying to find it earlier but failed. IIRC, the idea was to have the stakes pull loose in a wind rather than tearing the tent apart.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Interesting test...although those really small stakes are worthless in general.

I’ve used those titanium nail stakes to anchor an 8 man tipi, that has held up to measured 65 MPH winds.
I’ve also used 30” Kifaru SST stakes that would barely hold a 4 man tipi in tundra type ground.
All depends on the ground type.

Yep. Especially when you have to find a spot in rocky soil to slip them in, the thinner the better. Not to mention, carrying them on your back.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
90 degrees to the rope

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
All depends on soil conditions and common sense for simple tent.

I know drilling in 3 ft stakes for a Division Jump Talk set up really sucks....

Stack up 8 of ya on the stake line.
While others set up frame under the tent and camo netting once the main beam is up on a 45..
Your good for 2 holes on the drill.

Pass drill on, while moving to end, wait your next turn
Leap frog around the whole circumference.

Lawddy dawddy everybody hands on involved from PV1 to LTC in all tasks

3 hr limit to get it all up and running.

With every fugging thing from generators to 5 tn expando,s under camo net.

Big fast task organized event.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
in hard ground, long, heavy, pegs are set a a 60 degree angle to ground, pointing TOWARD tent (That one always seemed weird to me.)
I remember that from years ago. I remember seeing some directions on setting up a wall tent with wooden pegs angled toward the tent. I was trying to find it earlier but failed. IIRC, the idea was to have the stakes pull loose in a wind rather than tearing the tent apart.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yup, had an uncle that insisted that was the way to stake a wall tent. Dad and I said, fine stake yours angled to the tent and we’ll stake ours angled away from the tent.
Big wind came up during the night, blew his tent down when the pegs popped.
He finally managed to weigh it down with logs to keep from blowing away and spent the rest of the night in our tent.
All Dad said was “How’d those stakes work out for you?”

Ed T

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.