Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One of the many places I'd like to get to, someday.

So how does the UP rate as to hunting, and fishing?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You couldn't pay me to go to that state.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Haven't been there recently, but I used to love going there. But not in winter.

Be not weary in well doing.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I’d LOVE to move to your state.

Wabi- the experience in the UP is absolutely fantastic; my 13 yo daughter & I go up there at least a handful of times a year and never get enough. We took our family vacation there last year and are going there again this year.

The fishing is fantastic for trout as well as smallmouth bass. Out in the lakes the trout salmon walleye and perch fishing are amazing.

Deer hunting is tough, but upland bird and waterfowl is great.

There’s tons of huge tracts of public and commercial forest areas open to exploration.

College buddy I haven’t seen in years and I are doing a week long backpacking trip on the NCT in May and I’m super excited.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the UP. One of the spots we're considering retiring to. Just south east of Sault Saint Marie is an area we like

Last edited by KFWA; 04/13/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Fishing is good. As is the general scenery etc in summer and fall. Deer hunting not so much.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A man that moved fro the UP, told me, You can't eat scenery.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Spent two years there for school in Houghton. A beautiful place with wonderful fishing. The summers are awesome and the winters are brutal. I have never been to the lower peninsula so I cannot comment on the whole state but the UP is special - this coming from a native Coloradan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The UP is well worth seeing. Between state and federal land and private paper mill land open to the public there’s all kinds of land to enjoy. Tremendous snowmobiling and ATV riding or two tracking. Lots of very remote areas maybe more than anywhere else in the Eastern half of the US. Overall deer number are low between wolves and being on the northern fringes of deer habitat and southern fringes of moose habitat. Ruffed grouse hunting is some of the best in the country.

Fishing is excellent. There are small streams and rivers everywhere and most hold trout. Lots of lakes and bays with good to very good walleye, smallmouth bass and pike fishing including but not limited to Lake Michigan and Lake Huron to the South and Lake Superior to the North. Fall steelhead and salmon runs on numerous rivers and big lake fishing for them in the summer.

The UP has a unique Finnish heritage and feels a little bit like going back in time a few decades. I love going up there. Beautiful coastline surrounding the peninsula, Highway 2 along the northern Lake Michigan coast is nice. Mackinac Island is worth checking out and even Drummond Island if you had time. Tahquamenon Falls on the East side of the UP. The Pictured Rocks either hiking or by boat in the middle and the Porcupine Mountains to the West is especially scenic in the fall. With fishing and trail riding opportunities land to get out and stomp around on, and wildlife pretty much everywhere.

If I were going to pick a time I’d go in late September to take advantage of changing trees and mostly comfortable weather.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Love to visit the UP... wouldn’t live there. Winters are tough. Good fishing.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love the UP. Once of the spots we're considering retiring to. Just south east of Sault Saint Marie is an area we like

Yeah buddy!

That's what I'm working towards!,....to move up north and live my golden years among rude ass yankees while freezing my ass off.

Just knock me in the head.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by efw

Wabi- the experience in the UP is absolutely fantastic; my 13 yo daughter & I go up there at least a handful of times a year and never get enough. We took our family vacation there last year and are going there again this year.

The fishing is fantastic for trout as well as smallmouth bass. Out in the lakes the trout salmon walleye and perch fishing are amazing.

There’s tons of huge tracts of public and commercial forest areas open to exploration.

College buddy I haven’t seen in years and I are doing a week long backpacking trip on the NCT in May and I’m super excited.

Hows the grouse hunting?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by efw

Hows the grouse hunting?

Some of the best in the country. I try to go up for a week each fall for bird camp.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Used to own 40 acres in Alger County. At that time the stream on my place had Trout and regular Black Bear sign. Deer were far and few between. Walking the place you would usually flush Grouse. My job offered an opportunity I couldn't refuse so I relocated to Kentucky and sold my UP paradise, much to my regret.

A good friend brings us delicious Pasties when they visit the UP.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hows the grouse hunting?

Horrible.

Much better in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The UP has alot to offer including the biggest baddest most hungriest blood sucking critters anywhere..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Speaking as a second generation in law of the UP, it is either a near paradise on earth, or hell during a cold spell. I have been there during rifle deer season {last half of November} and experienced minus twenty to sixty-five. No snow, to snow so deep my hunting partner, who is a lot tougher than I, turned around at the entrance to our drive and drove right back home to Illinois. It is beautiful, and really great all year around if you are not too far back in the brush. I would have tried to convince my wife to move up there when I retired, but help can be a long way away if you have a medical emergency. I think she was influenced by her mother's stories about walking across Little Bay de Noc on the ice to sell butter and eggs in Escanaba.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
The UP is well worth seeing. Between state and federal land and paper mill land open to the public there’s all kind of land to enjoy. Tremendous snowmobiling and ATV riding or two tracking. Lots of very remote areas maybe more than anywhere else in the Eastern half of the US. Overall deer number are low between wolves and being on the northern fringes of deer habitat and southern fringes of moose habitat. Ruffed grouse hunting is some of the best in the country.

Fishing is excellent. There are small streams and rivers everywhere and most hold trout. Lots of lakes and bays with good to very good walleye, smallmouth bass and pike fishing including but not limited to Lake Michigan and Lake Huron to the South and Lake Superior to the North. Fall steelhead and salmon runs up numerous rivers and big lake fishing for them in the summer.

The UP had a unique Finnish heritage and feels a little bit like going back in time a few decades. I love going up there. Beautiful coastline surrounding the peninsula, Highway 2 along the northern Lake Michigan coast is nice. Mackinac Island is worth checking out and even Drummond Island if you had time. Tahquamenon Falls on the East side of the UP. The Pictured Rocks either hiking or by boat in the middle and the Porcupine Mountains to the West is especially scenic in the fall. With fishing and trail riding opportunities land to get out and stomp around on, and wildlife pretty much everywhere.

If I were going to pick a time I’d go in late September to take advantage of changing trees and mostly comfortable weather.

I agree, it's a beautiful place and very different from the lower peninsula . And the Yoopers refer to folks south of the mighty mac bridge as trolls

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How bad is the deer hunting? I hunt the central Adirondacks, 2-4 deer per square mile. That bad? I hear the wolves take a toll on the deer herd. It’s a place I have always wanted to hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love the UP. Once of the spots we're considering retiring to. Just south east of Sault Saint Marie is an area we like

Yeah buddy!

That's what I'm working towards!,....to move up north and live my golden years among rude ass yankees while freezing my ass off.

Just knock me in the head.

This is what makes the UP great, it separates the wheat from the chaff.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,110
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.