Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve had a simple cartridge filter for 25 years with a culligan water softener. Looking to upgrade bigly. Looking at the Aquasana Rhino with salt free softener and a UV filter at the tail end.
www.aquasana.com/whole-house-water-filters/rhino-well-water-with-uv-filter-100237393.

Anyone have experience with this or another system you’d recommend?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you have bacteria, you don't need UV& that's really about all it's good for on drinking water.

Depending on your water quality & type of contaminants, a simple sediment filter to remove larger particulate, followed by an iron filter & then your softener works fine.

On the kitchen sink (separate from main faucet & for drinking only) & ice maker you may want small RO units for a final polish & complete taste enhancement.

Depending on your daily water usage, be sure to get a softener larger enough such that it will only regenerate at about 3 day intervals.

Also if you have tannins present, have them add some tannin specific resin to the softener as well.

Good luck.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The easiest, cheapest, most effective way is to go with one of this company's models. I used to be a dealer and need to get a new business license and renewal so I can help you guys out. I'm not lds like the guy who is a customer doing the video, but there's missionaries all over the third world countries who use these. A village, church, home or community can produce potable water with these.
I just watched this test the other day

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We’ve had a Kinetico Mach 4040 for 17 yrs it is a twin system with a carbon filter. We built a house in an area with rural water. In two years the chlorine started to eat flapper valves and faucet seals. The chlorine smell was extremely strong out of the shower. Smelled like a swimming pool. We don’t use salt, we use potassium. It is a mechanical system. No electric required.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
The easiest, cheapest, most effective way is to go with one of this company's models. I used to be a dealer and need to get a new business license and renewal so I can help you guys out. I'm not lds like the guy who is a customer doing the video, but there's missionaries all over the third world countries who use these. A village, church, home or community can produce potable water with these.

Yes, carbon works wonders for a while. Let it sit and stew in the housing and see what you get. The Happy_Camper is not very well educated. His response to problems is predictable.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It also depends on your source of water. Rain water is naturally softened. Well water and surface water will vary greatly depending on local ground conditions.

I'd start with a test of your source and make a plan from there. Regardless of the source, the cleaner your input, the less strain on your filters. We're currently in the planning stages for a rainwater catchment system for non-potable uses (toilets/showers/garden) with jugs of water for drinking and cooking.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MM879

Yes, carbon works wonders for a while. Let it sit and stew in the housing and see what you get. The Happy_Camper is not very well educated. His response to problems is predictable.

LOL😄

Back at ya M&M, you goober .
Do you have any idea what the purification elements in the Berkey systems are even made of?
Did you so much as do a cursory search before opening your mouth to insert your size 6 boot?

They aren't some grocery store Britta plain carbon filters. Maybe you think that because they both start with today's letter of the alphabet, "B".

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Assuming that you have the same issues with water as we do down the chain here[limestone].
We started with a simple cartridge 22 years ago.
About 10 years back we added a salt based softener and have had very good results.
Pre softener we were going through elements in WH and dishwasher regularly.
We replaced the WH when we added the softener and haven't had to replace any elements since.
Crust on faucets/shower heads is also a thing of the past.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

LOL😄

Back at ya M&M, you goober .
Do you have any idea what the purification elements in the Berkey systems are even made of?
Did you so much as do a cursory search before opening your mouth to insert your size 6 boot?

They aren't some grocery store Britta plain carbon filters. Maybe you think that because they both start with today's letter of the alphabet, "B".

Like I said "predictable"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Get a water test to see what you are working with. Not all filters are equal and they target different problems.

We have a well (never dealt with a well before), had the test and two different companies made essentially the same suggestions. We ended up installing a softener, a filter, and an RO filter. So well water comes in, goes through a simple filter, into the softener, then out to the house. Two exceptions: outdoor hose spigot to water the garden and lawn bypasses the softener, and we added an RO filter that comes after the softener and goes to the kitchen sink with an extra faucet for drinking and to the freezer for the ice maker.

first thing we noticed, aside from taste, was ice cubes are crystal clear where before they were cloudy.

Filter we change monthly, it's usually crapped up with dirt/sand. RO is maintained once/year. Salt I have to put in about every other month.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have had MULTI PURE under the kitchen sink for 23 years.

[Linked Image from multipure.com]

....which means I have had to change the Carbon filter 23 times.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A friend installed the Aquasana with the UV filter for city water. His biggest issue was high calcium. The system has basically resolved that issue.

He installed a second one at his daughter's home. City water also, different water works. Her biggest issue was discoloration in the water. Their problem is basically resolved.

Both systems have been in place around two months, time will tell how it does long term.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’ve had a simple cartridge filter for 25 years with a culligan water softener. Looking to upgrade bigly. Looking at the Aquasana Rhino with salt free softener and a UV filter at the tail end.
www.aquasana.com/whole-house-water-filters/rhino-well-water-with-uv-filter-100237393.

Hi Jack,

Since you got some good answers on the softener and already happy for 25 years with the Culligan, I'm just addressing the more important potable water portion of the answer. Since Glyphosate / Round Up is all over the environment these days, here's the results from an excellent independent lab on a lot of filters and a purifier. Since you aren't looking for anything for the field, you can skip past the small sports bottle tests.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain

For a well water system I would reccomend a KDF-85 filter/softener. Have the water tested and if your iron level is low enough the KDF-85 systems work great. Go larger that you need because of higher pressure drop in the softener, fine mesh media, KDF media and gravel.

KDF-85 Well Water Softener

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Curious myself. Bought the retirement home and we will have well water. Actually two wells on the property and two homes. One is manufactured. Planning on moving that one out. One well house has a filter and a softener (manufactured house) the main house just has the pump and pressure tank.. Thinking I might transfer the stuff from one to the other and perhaps upgrade. Waiting on the water test, but when we viewed the property no deposits on the faucets, and the water was clear and did not taste or smell bad. Wells are are about a 1/4 mile apart, I would think the same aquifer, but perhaps not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to be a dealer and need to get a new business license and renewal so I can help you guys out.

Ain't nuffin' that slappy ain't done.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd like to filter, treat rain water safe enough to drink.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Might also look into reverse osmosis systems. Not sure how many microns they filter out, but might be a consideration.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go larger that you need because of higher pressure drop in the softener,

While I agree that bigger is almost never a bad idea, if there's more than a 2 PSI drop across the resin bed, then it's probably fouled.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, arky65, afisher, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.