Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 24 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 23 24
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

You are dumb as a brick. You accidentally miss seeing a stop sign and kill someone, you have committed negligent homicide

There are certain things the law presumes, as a matter of public policy, that folks are always obliged to take note of, stops signs, red lights, etc. (unless obstructed by overgrown bushes, etc..). You accept that as a condition of your drivers license. That's not relevant to a mistake of fact defense scenario like we're discussing here.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Originally Posted by deflave
Should this cop be jailed for what seems pretty obviously an accident? On average, over 100 people die per day in car crashes int he USA. Someone's screw up cost someone else their life. Unless the driver is impaired or obliterating a speed limit, most drivers who kill someone don't face any criminal charges.

Oh boy, here come Paul with some more brain teasers.

Only to be met with yet another banal comment.

Hey if I record myself accidentally killing somebody with a gun, do you think I could/might be charged criminally?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Should this cop be jailed for what seems pretty obviously an accident? On average, over 100 people die per day in car crashes in the USA. Someone's screw up cost someone else their life. Unless the driver is impaired or obliterating a speed limit, most drivers who kill someone don't face any criminal charges.

Exactly.

People are sent to prison for accidents all the time. Have you two ever heard of negligent homicide or manslaughter?

Another "exactly". Only this one is correct.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You are dumb as a brick. You accidentally miss seeing a stop sign and kill someone, you have committed negligent homicide

There are certain things the law presumes, as a matter of public policy, that folks are always obliged to take note of. Stops signs, red lights, etc. (unless obstructed by overgrown bushes, etc..). You accept that as a condition of your drivers license. That's not comparable to a mistake of fact defense scenario.

Your honor, when my client clobbered his wife over the head with a Louisville Slugger, he thought it was a Nerf product.

MISTAKE OF FACT!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

There are certain things the law presumes, as a matter of public policy, that folks are always obliged to take note of, stops signs, red lights, etc. (unless obstructed by overgrown bushes, etc..). You accept that as a condition of your drivers license. That's not relevant to a mistake of fact defense scenario like we're discussing here.
You would do well to quit while your behind.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Should this cop be jailed for what seems pretty obviously an accident? On average, over 100 people die per day in car crashes int he USA. Someone's screw up cost someone else their life. Unless the driver is impaired or obliterating a speed limit, most drivers who kill someone don't face any criminal charges.

Oh boy, here come Paul with some more brain teasers.

Only to be met with yet another banal comment.

Hey if I record myself accidentally killing somebody with a gun, do you think I could/might be charged criminally?

could/might be charged criminally? Possibly. Should you be charged? Totality of the circumstances.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For ever action there is a reaction,

LE training and militarization play a part in things we see happening in society today that we didn't a few decades ago..

There is more to it that, but it contributes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are certain things the law presumes, as a matter of public policy, that folks are always obliged to take note of. Stops signs, red lights, etc. (unless obstructed by overgrown bushes, etc..). You accept that as a condition of your drivers license. That's not comparable to a mistake of fact defense scenario.

Your honor, when my client clobbered his wife over the head with a Louisville Slugger, he thought it was a Nerf product.

MISTAKE OF FACT!

What is a red herring Alex?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

MISTAKE OF FACT!

The only "MISTAKE OF FACT" is that she was mistaken for a police officer, she has proven to not be competent after 26 years of attempting to reach competence

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Undoubtedly charged, but convicted would depend entirely on who you shot and whether I was on the jury or not.

And since I am not in America you should probably refrain from such.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

MISTAKE OF FACT!

It actually could be, but it would need to be backed by credible evidence, such as the defendant was at the time in the midst of a 106 degree fevered delirium. That would go a long way to satisfying the preponderance of the evidence test regarding the claim that he believed he was holding a Nerf bat. It would be up to the jury to make that credibility determination.

Short of lots of strong evidence that this was actually his belief, however, no, that would not be an acceptable defense, since it would lack credibility.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RickyD

You would do well to quit while your behind.

You're behind. Not your behind. Your is possessive.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Should this cop be jailed for what seems pretty obviously an accident? On average, over 100 people die per day in car crashes in the USA. Someone's screw up cost someone else their life. Unless the driver is impaired or obliterating a speed limit, most drivers who kill someone don't face any criminal charges.

Exactly.

People are sent to prison for accidents all the time. Have you two ever heard of negligent homicide or manslaughter?

Not for accidents. At least our laws aren't supposed to place such cases within the criminal court system. If someone goes to jail for a car wreck where someone is injured or killed, there's usually drugs or alcohol involved, or other reckless or malicious conduct.

Uh yep!

A local case here a few years ago.

A young father was driving the station wagon to town one day with six or seven of his kids, nieces, and nephews and his wife along for the ride. The driver was a devout Morman. He did not even drink coffee, and he was not speeding.

The kids got to screwing around in the back of the station wagon and the driver took his eyes off the road and looked into the rear view mirror as he scolded them.

Just at that moment he crested a hill with a car sitting square in the road in front of him. He rear ended the car at about fifty miles an hour.

Within the car was a young couple engaged to soon be married. They were sitting in the road waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so they could make a left turn. They had the steering wheel cranked to the stop to the left in preparation for the turn.

At impact, they were pushed into the left lane, directly into the path of an oncoming van. Both of the young lovers were killed.

The driver of the station wagon was jailed for his "mistake". His family went on welfare.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where's Ltppowell saying some cop's never shoulda quit their shoe salesman job??

I miss that...

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

MISTAKE OF FACT!

It actually could be, but it would need to be backed by credible evidence, such as the defendant was at the time in the midst of a 106 degree fevered delirium. That would go a long way to satisfying the preponderance of the evidence test regarding the claim that he believed he was holding a Nerf bat. It would be up to the jury to make that credibility determination.

Short of lots of strong evidence that this was actually his belief, however, no, that would not be an acceptable defense, since it would lack credibility.

Therefore, the "mistake of fact" defense will be of no relevance when a 26 year police office doesn't know the difference between a taser and a pistol , this is a clear case of negligent homicide hence the charge of 2nd degree manslaughter

Last edited by jwp475; 04/16/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Exactly.

Not for accidents. At least our laws aren't supposed to place such cases within the criminal court system. If someone goes to jail for a car wreck where someone is injured or killed, there's usually drugs or alcohol involved, or other reckless or malicious conduct.

Uh yep!

A young father was driving the station wagon to town one day with six or seven of his kids, nieces, and nephews and his wife along for the ride. The driver was a devout Morman. He did not even drink coffee, and he was not speeding.

The kids got to screwing around in the back of the station wagon and the driver took his eyes off the road and looked into the rear view mirror as he scolded them.

Just at that moment he crested a hill with a car sitting square in the road in front of him. He rear ended the car at about fifty miles an hour.

Within the car was a young couple engaged to soon be married. They were sitting in the road waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so they could make a left turn. They had the steering wheel cranked to the stop to the left in preparation for the turn.

At impact, they were pushed into the left lane, directly into the path of an oncoming van. Both of the young lovers were killed.

The driver of the station wagon was jailed for his "mistake". His family went on welfare.

Perfect example of negligent homicide. Definitely an accident and unintentional

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Exactly.

Uh yep!

I'd like to read more about that. Being jailed for being at fault in a car crash is rare, absent impairment or excessive speed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do you feel like jail is the right place for that driver?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Therefore, the "mistake of favt" defense will be of no relevance when a 26 year police office doesn't know the difference between a taser and a pistol , this is a clear case of negligent homicide hence the charge of 2nd degree manslaughter

Okay, so you're asserting that she actually knew it was a Glock, not a Taser, and that she secretly intended to murder the arrestee, and just added the comments about him being about to be Tasered in order to plant exculpatory evidence into the record. That's a sound theory, but you'd need some evidence for it.

Your theory that she did in fact know the difference, at the time of the shooting, between her Glock and her Taser, of course, totally negates your negligent homicide theory. You realize that, right? If she actually knew the difference at that moment, then yours is just a plain old first degree murder theory, not a negligent homicide theory.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Surely a mistake of fact. The driver believed the road ahead of him to be clear of cars. The fact was otherwise.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 18 of 24 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.