Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
You commenting on anything about killing is comical. Wasn’t long ago, you were talking sh it about anyone using a short action cartridge.

Until someone has a question regarding best staple guns, target backers, targets or sharpies, stay in the corner while the adults are talking.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by specneeds
Wow that is interesting advice - “quit that corvette little lady it’s too much car for you, Get a Corolla it suits a woman better”

I trained a 120 lb woman for one of those TV hunting shows - she handled my lightweight 375H&H like it was a quail gun. Women can handle recoil if they choose to quite nicely. For deer the difference is minimal but for elk I’ll take the 300 magnum over a 308 every time. Why pass on and elk because you don’t have the horsepower or bullet to do the job? Elk hunting is challenging enough without unnecessary limitations.

+1

You guys are fu cking idiots. There are plenty here that know a 308win will kill an elk with little effort. It all boils down to shot placement and bullet you use. Its funny because you paint a picture like the 308win worked wonderfully for your daughter, then you switch her to something bigger. How much does your daughter want to practice with that 300wm? Enough to be proficient with it? You agreeing with numb nuts makes you look pretty stupid/ignorant..

Haha 😂😂😂 god damn that’s funny

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The staple gun comment made me LOL.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sharpies!! 🤣🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SLM
You commenting on anything about killing is comical. Wasn’t long ago, you were talking sh it about anyone using a short action cartridge.

Until someone has a question regarding best staple guns, target backers, targets or sharpies, stay in the corner while the adults are talking.

Wow that is interesting advice - “quit that corvette little lady it’s too much car for you, Get a Corolla it suits a woman better”

I trained a 120 lb woman for one of those TV hunting shows - she handled my lightweight 375H&H like it was a quail gun. Women can handle recoil if they choose to quite nicely. For deer the difference is minimal but for elk I’ll take the 300 magnum over a 308 every time. Why pass on and elk because you don’t have the horsepower or bullet to do the job? Elk hunting is challenging enough without unnecessary limitations.

+1

You guys are fu cking idiots. There are plenty here that know a 308win will kill an elk with little effort. It all boils down to shot placement and bullet you use. Its funny because you paint a picture like the 308win worked wonderfully for your daughter, then you switch her to something bigger. How much does your daughter want to practice with that 300wm? Enough to be proficient with it? You agreeing with numb nuts makes you look pretty stupid/ignorant..

Lmao!!!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I love the comments on a .308 or what ever.. Some guys comment on here so much I wonder if they ever have time to shoot anything...

Molon Labe
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Sorry fellas, I have to take a minute and clean off my desk. I blew my diet coke through my nose, when I read the "staple gun and sharpie comment"

CJ

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I found a few boxes of the Norma Oryx stuff.
Pretty sure its 180gr.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
$&#@ double post

Last edited by hookeye; 04/15/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All I can say is 2 clients for moose this fall. 308 Win and 168 TTSX. DEAD. And much more confident bullet performance than the other client. His was dead too but the 338 win mag bullets never made the rib bones on the other side. 250 partitions.

Most of it these days IMHO boils down to picking a good and right bullet. Then you put it where it needs to go.

I'd hunt moose or elk any day with a 243. I'd have to be a bit picky about shots... but other than that.

BTW both clients bulls were appx 125 yards off. And almost identical hits. Though the 308 bull died quicker as the last shot. broke its neck. but both outcomes were almost identical. Other than ttsx having pass through

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Both will work just fine. Pick the most accurate of the two and practice, practice, practice. It's placement that trumps everything.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

+1

actually they are correct that most women are easier to train on the big guns. No knowledge of fear that the gun will kick etc... realizes its gonna kick hit or miss. Generally do better than most guys with mags.

Ad to the fact that less body mass to absorb recoil makes it seem less to them. I've always noticed the bigger folks are the more they complain about perceived recoil generally.

My wife is around 115 these days. Gained a bit.

She has shot everything handed to her without an issue. up to 460 wtby and 50 bmg.

She even decided the 378 wtby a friend sent back, was ok though it did kick. She shot a squirrel with it. Friend and I both to this day say it was the worst kicking gun we have ever shot.

The point here is take what you want but only if you can handle it. if its 300 mag, cool. If its 243 cool. Pick a good bullet. Put it in the right spot.

And IMHO if its between partition and TTSX its TTSX every last time. The partitions perform better than standard bullets but the TTSX work much better than partitions IMHO. But I prefer 2 holes every time I shoot if possible.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I kill elk with 140 Partitions out of a 7mm-08, 150s out of a .308 is fine.

P

+1

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HaYen
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I kill elk with 140 Partitions out of a 7mm-08, 150s out of a .308 is fine.

P

+1

+1

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting to hear "pick the one which shoots best."

This implies two things:

First, that the hunter actually shoots enough groups to tell the difference. In my experience this is rare, especially with 3-shot groups.

Second, elk are big animals. Unless you plan to shoot beyond much beyond 400 yards, any load that puts three into 1-1/2" at 100 yards is more than accurate enough.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My old hunting partner here in Utah has used the same Browning BLR .308 since HS (1970) ! He uses nothing but 150 corlokts, usually factory loads. Kills everything, even a wild Henry Mnts cow Bison with the thing! ha His only "vice"; he loves his big Burris 4x12x50mm scope! Go figure. smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/15/21.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.