Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thursday into Friday had cold, high winds and several inches of snow come down, followed by sleet and freezing rain. Not unheard of to get snow in these parts in early spring, but definitely uncommon halfway into April. What does one often do on a cold, wet, snowy day in our household? Put together some fish for a nice hot meal, of course. And since we happened to still have plenty of smelt left, well, that's what he did.

In early March I loaded the girls (Mrs. KG and Pepper and Onions, our two female labs) into the truck and headed north. Our destination would be the James Eddy smelt camp on the Eastern river in Dresden, Maine. The Eastern flows into, and is one of many tributaries of the mighty Kennebec river, which itself flows into the Atlantic a bit north of Portland. Every year, many species of anadromous fish run up from the ocean and up these tidal rivers to spawn. Our target species for the day would be the rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax). This species has been introduced to and thrives in many other locations around the country, many landlocked, but for me, fishing for the sea run little beauties in their native environment makes me happy. A little more on the target species and ranges can be found here:

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=796

There is a tradition steeped in rich culture involving the fishing for smelt in Maine going back more than a hundred years. Said tradition often involves a bunch of guys getting together and spending some quality time away from their screeching, toothless wives and squealing, dirty-faced, mouth-breathing offspring with naught but years of misery and suffering to look forward to from their drafty, pathetic hovels. But enough about them; this is a fisherman's tale. Sort of.

As a general rule, the idea is to get set up in a shack with no floor that was dragged out onto the ice. Once in place, large slits are cut into either side of the edge of the shack's 'floor'. There is a heat source (wood or kerosene, usually) inside, and some of today's 'fancy' ones have electricity. And that is the basic stage set. Those who brave the frozen river and enter these shacks then tell lies, eat man food and get fall-down drunk (not necessarily in that order), all the while pretending to be trying to catch 'sumptin' fer th' family'. Hoping not to bust through the ice, get swept under by the current and not found until spring thaw is also part of it. Tradition is what it is and must be respected. We'd be doing things a little differently, but definitely with as much gusto and determination as any of those who intrepid smelters who preceded us out onto the frozen river in decades past.

Rather than use the provided 'tackle', which is comical and largely ineffective, a contraption often made from bed springs, a series of repurposed 2x2 wood rails, a few nails, twine and oversized hooks, I brought a couple of cheap, light jigging setups for the ice. I also had some half ounce weights and several flashy Sabiki rigs. Same exact rigs we catch baits for tuna with, actually... Anyway, that stuff, a bucket and some sea worms is really all that is needed to catch these little beauties. Slow jigged with a tiny piece of worm flesh on each of 4-6 hooks, if the smelt are running, you'll catch some. Sometimes, you can catch a LOT of them. Being tidal, one has to make a choice as to whether to fish an incoming vs. outgoing tide, and choose day or night tide. I've always had my best luck on a falling tide that starts moving out just as daylight is being lost. As luck would have it, I was able to make a reservation for us that was just what I wanted.

We did really well and we had a lot of fun and caught a bunch of beauties Or, I should say I was a real bait-rigging and unhooking madman. Mrs. KG was doing most of the catching. Our girls also enjoyed it. Our next shack neighbors took a liking to our dogs and especially my encouraging words to the old lady overheard: "For the last time get that fugking fish out from over the water before losing another you damned dingbat! How many more of these things are you going to set free? I didn't drive 2 hours to sit here with a busted heater and watch you lose all our fish!"

They came over to say hello and when they saw Mrs. KG not sporting a fat lip or Irish sunglasses they offered us up some moose steak, whitetail deer sausage and a few snorts of what I assume was some clear spirit made in a bathtub. It was all marvelous and we all enjoyed the hell out of it and our new freinds. Onions later showed her thanks to the neighbors by licking clean a giant iron skillet filled with grease for them. Funny thing: the last name of the matron in the group is the same as my first name.

I think we ended up with maybe six dozen in about 3 hours, which is enough for three meals for two, or six appetizers for two. Enough words.

The shacks.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/img]

Is anyone still using Photobucket that can offer advice on embedding? I've been fooling around with this GD site for an hour and can't get images to properly embed...

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/17/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read that while humming helter skelter in my head.

Sounds awesome!

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife grew up in NH and told me about doing the smelt fishing thing with her father when she was a little girl. She said it was fun and that the smelt were really good fried crisp. May have to do that some day.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MAC
My wife grew up in NH and told me about doing the smelt fishing thing with her father when she was a little girl. She said it was fun and that the smelt were really good fried crisp. May have to do that some day.

They really are terrific eating, and your wife is right. It really is a lot of fun, and when you get into a thick school running on a tide it can be non-stop action. Our neighbors, with 4 people fishing, caught over 200 of the little beauties in 3 hours. If people are expecting fancy, comfortable and spotless place they best look elsewhere but if fun for all ages and a great winter pastime is sought and don't mind being rough around the edges, it's hard to beat. Especially in the doldrums of winter when most any other fishing and hunting is closed/done.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Many years ago the annual spring smelt runs in Lake Michigan were a big deal. Evenings the piers along Chicago's shores would be lined with people of all ages and sexes setting up for a night of gill netting smelt. They used a "trolley" system to raise and lower gill nets. Galvanized washtubs filled to the brim with smelt were common. The glow from Coleman lanterns and camp stoves lit up the piers end to end with a few burning barrels scattered along the way to help knock the chill off. Last I heard smelt runs no longer happen through there anymore but many folks still set up anyway just for the camaraderie.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great pictures. Thx for sharing!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Thursday into Friday had cold, high winds and several inches of snow come down, followed by sleet and freezing rain. Not unheard of to get snow in these parts in early spring, but definitely uncommon halfway into April. What does one often do on a cold, wet, snowy day in our household? Put together some fish for a nice hot meal, of course. And since we happened to still have plenty of smelt left, well, that's what he did.

In early March I loaded the girls (Mrs. KG and Pepper and Onions, our two female labs) into the truck and headed north. Our destination would be the James Eddy smelt camp on the Eastern river in Dresden, Maine. The Eastern flows into, and is one of many tributaries of the mighty Kennebec river, which itself flows into the Atlantic a bit north of Portland. Every year, many species of anadromous fish run up from the ocean and up these tidal rivers to spawn. Our target species for the day would be the rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax). This species has been introduced to and thrives in many other locations around the country, many landlocked, but for me, fishing for the sea run little beauties in their native environment makes me happy. A little more on the target species and ranges can be found here:

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=796

There is a tradition steeped in rich culture involving the fishing for smelt in Maine going back more than a hundred years. Said tradition often involves a bunch of guys getting together and spending some quality time away from their screeching, toothless wives and squealing, dirty-faced, mouth-breathing offspring with naught but years of misery and suffering to look forward to from their drafty, pathetic hovels. But enough about them; this is a fisherman's tale. Sort of.

As a general rule, the idea is to get set up in a shack with no floor that was dragged out onto the ice. Once in place, large slits are cut into either side of the edge of the shack's 'floor'. There is a heat source (wood or kerosene, usually) inside, and some of today's 'fancy' ones have electricity. And that is the basic stage set. Those who brave the frozen river and enter these shacks then tell lies, eat man food and get fall-down drunk (not necessarily in that order), all the while pretending to be trying to catch 'sumptin' fer th' family'. Hoping not to bust through the ice, get swept under by the current and not found until spring thaw is also part of it. Tradition is what it is and must be respected. We'd be doing things a little differently, but definitely with as much gusto and determination as any of those who intrepid smelters who proceeded us out onto the frozen river in decades past.

Rather than use the provided 'tackle', which is comical and largely ineffective, a contraption often made from bed springs, a series of repurposed 2x2 wood rails, a few nails, twine and oversized hooks, I brought a couple of cheap, light jigging setups for the ice. I also had some half ounce weights and several flashy Sabiki rigs. Same exact rigs we catch baits for tuna with, actually... Anyway, that stuff, a bucket and some sea worms is really all that is needed to catch these little beauties. Slow jigged with a tiny piece of worm flesh on each of 4-6 hooks, if the smelt are running, you'll catch some. Sometimes, you can catch a LOT of them. Being tidal, one has to make a choice as to whether to fish an incoming vs. outgoing tide, and choose day or night tide. I've always had my best luck on a falling tide that starts moving out just as daylight is being lost. As luck would have it, I was able to make a reservation for us that was just what I wanted.

We did really well and we had a lot of fun and caught a bunch of beauties Or, I should say I was a real bait-rigging and unhooking madman. Mrs. KG was doing most of the catching. Our girls also enjoyed it. Our next shack neighbors took a liking to our dogs and especially my encouraging words to the old lady overheard: "For the last time get that fugking fish out from over the water before losing another you damned dingbat! How many more of these things are you going to set free? I didn't drive 2 hours to sit here with a busted heater and watch you lose all our fish!"

They came over to say hello and when they saw Mrs. KG not sporting a fat lip or Irish sunglasses they offered us up some moose steak, whitetail deer sausage and a few snorts of what I assume was some clear spirit made in a bathtub. It was all marvelous and we all enjoyed the hell out of it and our new freinds. Onions later showed her thanks to the neighbors by licking clean a giant iron skillet filled with grease for them. Funny thing: the last name of the matron in the group is the same as my first name.

I think we ended up with maybe six dozen in about 3 hours, which is enough for three meals for two, or six appetizers for two. Enough words.

The shacks.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/img]

Is anyone still using Photobucket that can offer advice on embedding? I've been fooling around with this GD site for an hour and can't get images to properly embed...

You need to bump up your subscription level. $$

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The PB image link needs to end at "JPG", take the ?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds off the end and you should be good. Thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn those look good.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by EdM

You need to bump up your subscription level. $$

Nope. I have an unlimited account subscription.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't figure the new PB sharing. Oh, well. You can click if you like. F'in PB...

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Back in the early 80s, I dipped them out of the Sandy river just east of Portland, Or. I often filled a five gallon bucket in 30 minutes.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by joken2

Many years ago the annual spring smelt runs in Lake Michigan were a big deal. Evenings the piers along Chicago's shores would be lined with people of all ages and sexes setting up for a night of gill netting smelt. They used a "trolley" system to raise and lower gill nets. Galvanized washtubs filled to the brim with smelt were common. The glow from Coleman lanterns and camp stoves lit up the piers end to end with a few burning barrels scattered along the way to help knock the chill off. Last I heard smelt runs no longer happen through there anymore but many folks still set up anyway just for the camaraderie.

Neat. Years ago folks used to fish for smelt off piers and docks right in Boston harbor as well as in estuaries. Most used Coleman lanterns and other bright lights not as much for the people but it was widely--and still is--believed that the lights attract the fish.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Squidge
The PB image link needs to end at "JPG", take the ?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds off the end and you should be good. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your help, Squidge. I tried that with the first half dozen shots and it still didn't embed properly. I've been using PB for years and never had a problem. They updated their platform/site recently and now I can't get the damned thing to work properly...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smelt and Menudo.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Smelt and Menudo.

I almost always at my smelt with sea salt and lemon/lime. Very occasionally with tartar sauce. Now that you mention menudo, the next batch I make I'm going to make up a nice spicy dipping sauce. I bet it'd be a winner.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Smelt and Menudo.

I almost always at my smelt with sea salt and lemon/lime. Very occasionally with tartar sauce. Now that you mention menudo, the next batch I make I'm going to make up a nice spicy dipping sauce. I bet it'd be a winner.

got some for you today, and tamales.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,494
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.