Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
got 13 tags for the fall coming. all but one will be filled with a 75gr eld-m from a 20" 8 twist tikka.

have to step up to the mighty 6br to dump the ironside elk.

What’s your muzzle velocity?

Pharm he has 39 pages of this B.S. over on that other forum linked in this thread, RokSliders or whatever it is. 39 pages of B.S. so deep you need a life boat.

Ha Ha yeah I saw that.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have used the 223 on deer to know it works and that there are shot angles I would take with my 7-08 loaded with partitions that I would not even consider taking with one of my 223 rifles. My 7-08 is lighter than my lightest 223. In modern times where we all have a variety of rifles why can't we use the best tools available?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
In modern times where we all have a variety of rifles why can't we use the best tools available?

Maybe we are. Maybe we just don't agree on what is best or even what best means.

Maybe we aren't. Maybe we're bored to tears with "best" and want to try something else.

Or maybe we're bored with people who think what they feel is best is somehow best for everyone else, no creativity or curiosity allowed. Maybe we're tired of such people because they act like democrat thought police.

Maybe.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
👍

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by TheKid

Well for one the fellow I was responding to stated that he was going deer hunting, does specifically, and that he would hate to wound one.

Now that said, you state that not every shot lands where it’s supposed to and that being your reasoning for choosing the 45/70. Whether the shot goes where intended or not boils down to shot placement. If you can’t place the bullet where it belongs don’t take the shot.

Once the sear breaks the shooter has no control. Animal movement and wind are just two factors that can change an otherwise good shot into something else. There are no guarantees.

Even assuming stuff happens, which I agree it does to everyone eventually. How much margin for error does the 45/70 give us over a 22cf? All the frontal area math you posted goes out the window when we use expanding bullets, assuming they actually expand. Reference the pictures in the link to the Rokslide thread, my experience mirrors theirs.

The one 45-70 bullet I've recovered expanded to .80" average and .98" maximum. Are you suggesting a .bullet fired from a .223 will do that? My frontal area math is fine.

A deer my wife shot last fall using a 223/77TMK had an approximately 2” hole through the organs that were in the bullet’s path. What about “eating right up to the hole” with the 45/70? Everything I’ve shot with a 45/70 has had a narrow wound path, nothing like a high velocity rifle cartridge, even a 22 caliber one.
I’m thinking that the only thing a 45/70 has going for it in this case is breaking heavy bones. But deer don’t have any heavy bones really.

The ability to break heavy bones and the ability to penetrate both depend on the same factors - the amount of energy and momentum transferred to the target and the time and manner in which that transfer occurs. A bullet cannot transfer energy or momentum it doesn't possess.

A good shot is a good shot and a bad shot a bad one once we take crappy bullets out of the equation.

Use any bullets you like, I'll still take my .45-70 over a .223 for the mulies we have around here, and especially for elk and larger. (The OP's question was about "big game", not just deer.) For smaller deer and antelope it wouldn't be as much of a concern. As I've stated before, most of the elk I've taken probably would have fallen to my .22-250. It is the "probably" that makes me feel more comfortable with heavier, fatter bullets.

YMMV

You are an expert on wounding chit so you would know.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know, I'd bet I could drop an elk for subsistence with a 223, if that was all I had.... but I wouldn't do it voluntarily to see if it would work.
and even tho I am a bolt guy, I'd want an AR for a couple of fast follow up shots.

If I had to use a 22 cal, I'd want it to be the Swift or 22.250....

that being said, a 243 looks like a major step up....

I know you don't need a big caliber to drop an elk or deer, but why do people like to see how "low can they go"?

Guess any are fine, If you shooting your elk out the bedroom window in the yard...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
223's bounce off.

the campfire says so

whatever

pharm.. i went back to trueing my velocity rather then chronograph but assuming .45bc it's 2875 basically on the nut.

rl-15 seems to hold a bit tighter groups but most critters (antelope, whitetail, mule deer) i shoot inside of 300, and most well inside of that. rough guess 10% are shot in that rough 500ish yard mark..

Last edited by Ndbowhunter; 06/10/21.
A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Rl15 is almost all I use anymore. 5.56 and 7.62. Known accuracy windows for the win.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They will kill deer. I have hunted with people that used them. I have also had to spend half a day several times helping them find their dead deer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
223 isn’t legal where I hunt for deer & pretty sure it isn’t legal for elk anywhere. Like some on here I believe that I shoot well enough to make head shots but I wouldn’t want to be limited to that to harvest an animal reliably. The generation that thinks a 308 recoils heavily seems to love 223 &6.5 for everything.

I like elk burger & venison loin so much I want to be prepared for any reasonable distance & angle. For me that is 7 mag with 150 grain TTSX for deer & 300 Weatherby 180grain TTSX for elk. I practice at ranges beyond where little cartridges would be effective hoping to be able to get close but ready if I can’t.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
7 Has good advice and bows are even worse!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by specneeds
223 isn’t legal where I hunt for deer & pretty sure it isn’t legal for elk anywhere.

It is legal for elk in Alaska, Idaho and Montana. Maybe more states.

That is not an endorsement, just a statement.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Wait...you're not gonna do like they did in that other thread and " Promote" it.... laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
They will kill deer. I have hunted with people that used them. I have also had to spend half a day several times helping them find their dead deer.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by specneeds
223 isn’t legal where I hunt for deer & pretty sure it isn’t legal for elk anywhere.

It is legal for elk in Alaska, Idaho and Montana. Maybe more states.

Pretty bad when a guy has to start putting disclaimers at the end of a post.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mikey will be along shortly to join the fray…..

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I stand corrected. It shouldn’t be legal anywhere should have been my statement. I get that anything can be killed with a 22. My Dads family in South Dakota used a 222 Remington for their new kid or woman’s deer rifle. With good or even mediocre bullets it killed lots of mule deer. No recoil helps the more timid newcomers who might flinch otherwise.

But the idea that you would pursue a 400+ lb animal renowned for toughness with a 22 caliber under 100 grain bullet makes no sense at all to anyone who plans to eat what they shoot & recover every animal shot.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Back in the 80’s I used a 223 mostly with Blackhills 55 grain remanufactured ammunition. Dropped a few deer with spine shots. Ranges were close and almost always a running shot.

I couldn’t wait to get into a 30-06 or 300.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
As a general rule, no it should not be used

A
alibi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Ran out of 77 TMK. Ended up using regular 77 sierras. 6 point down, roughly a 75 yard run.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by alibi
A thermal pig hunt is on my bucket list.

If I ever draw I’d love to chase an elk with one

Nice buck!!!

This right here is what worries me. A .223 has no business taking down a 600#+ elk. Ive seen them eat lead from large 30's (properly placed), like I eat Skittles.
I agree. Yeah, you hear about elk being taken with them. But, you never hear how many they wound. Somehow that never comes up in the bragging. Have some respect for the animals and use enough gun to do it right the 1st time.

AGREED!

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.