Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by viking
Why didn’t the US just adopt the MG 34/42?

Because it was German Nazi.

That is the answer. Our weapons had to of US or Allied design.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by goalie

Lol!!.
What were you guys doing to get messed with like that doing crew drills .
Who fugged up in the sqd???
BTDT .

There may have been alcohol involved.

Allegedly.

The best part was, while I was "qualified" on the 60, at the time I was a pogue, getting ready to deploy on a cruise with 1/8 as a pay clerk.

As a pogue, being prior infantry with a CAR was, at times, awesome.
Other times, not so much.......

LOL!!!
Monday????

While out drinking with the STA guys, we decided to turn the 1/8 pogues into super-opfor during some fugg-fugg pre-deoloyment games with miles gear.

STA guys gave is the route and we used that info to smoke the "real" grunts. Some idiot was all "Haagy set it up to start the ambush with the belt fed" and the 1st Sgt was all "since you pogues like the machine guns so much, follow me."

Much hilarity (and pain) ensued.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
92 to 00 under Billy Boy was a all around goat f u c k with him as Commander in Chief.
Literally standing in Bn and Bde formations during his Lewinsky and impeachment exploits.
Being read DOD/Secretary of Defense directives/riot act schitt to cease and desist ridiculing the dipschit in office, and punishable under UCMJ if heard and proved.

We still did it of course.
NGAF about what his tools Perry and Cohen had to say.
Was a check the Block thing the chain of commands had to do.

Last edited by renegade50; 04/23/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Anybody here ever lug one around?

2 weeks at Summer camp. Spent a couple of days shooting up ammo at different times. I also got to shoot one out of a Huey. That was a fun time. Only in training and never at another person.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The -60 was the primary weapon for Aeroscout gunners in the OH 6 and we wore more than a few of them out. Carried a spare barrel, used it now and then. Standard ammo load was 1,500 rounds. Standing orders for the gunner were to save the last couple hundred rounds in case we had to walk home. Average fella would be surprised by how much an experienced gunner could accomplish with a very few rounds.

^^^ This ^^^

I fell one target short of qualifying Expert with the M-60 with just a half-belt of ammo. When I picked up my belt off the flat bed trailer the links broke apart mid-ways but was rushed on by cadre with "Move on trainee". Kept shots to minimum rounds possible per target. Last popup target was the farthest, belt was gone, checked and I had just one round left in the chamber. I aimed as I would a rifle but apparently took too long as I shot the timed popup was just starting going down so it wasn't counted as a confirmed hit. Still left me with the max score for Sharpshooter and just 1 shy of minimum score for Expert.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by JTrapper73
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
A lot of fun to fire when it worked. I would rather carry one than be an AG. They really got loaded down. I also thought it was easier to carry than a SAW. .

Two questions:
1) what is an AG?
2) I thought the M-60 was the SAW back in the day, no?

The AG stood for Assistant Gunner. He got loaded down with the tripod, spare barrel and several hundred rounds on top of the already burdensome weight a grunt carried.

The M-60 was a GPMG(General Purpose Machine Gun) in 7.62 that came into service in the very early 60’s to replace the 1919A6 and A4 Brownings in service at that time. There were also some BARS still in service as my uncle carried a BAR in Ranger school in 1961.
There was a automatic version of the M-14 that was supposed to function as a squad automatic weapon in that timeframe but it wasn’t very successful as it was hard to control.
The M249 SAW came into service in the early to mid 80’s and was chambered in 5.56. The 82nd Airborne was one of the first units to get the M249.
Until the M249 was introduced, the M-60 filled the gap wherever it was needed for close to twenty-five years. So yes, I guess you could say it was the SAW back in the day.

Mid-late '60s we were all issued a M-14 AND a M-16 rifle in Infantry AIT at Tigerland and both had full auto selector switches. M-14 only issued in Basic Training at Ft. Knox and were all sem-auto capable only.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
was my weapon of choice, I did PT with it.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh yes, I carried one for about 6 months.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MPat70

Yes I have had the pleasure of hauling one around. The Hog is one heavy ass gun after a 17 mile road march!

Lol!!!!

Homie bought himself a new of tanker boots in germany
The ones with the wrap around leather strap.
BC authorizerd em for wear.
We was mech D co 1/ 16th

Anyways homie did a 12 miler with his newly assigned pig.
Would not give it up when people tried to spell him.

My feet were hamburger...

Thank god it was on a friday.

Young , dumb , trying to prove I was tough.
Dont show wealness.
New e4 just came in unit from carson .
Asked to be a 60 gunner after having been a AG at Carson.
Did my time on the 60.
Got lateral promoted to Corporal and made a fire team ldr.
Got a new A2.
Kept moving up .
Rest is history.

Dont wear new tanker boots on a 12 miler is the morale of the story....
🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴😂😂😂

I was 11B infantry so learned early on to never wear new boots on any sort of road march. As a Pvt1 I learned to love moleskin 😁
Our worst nightmare was in Wildflecken Germany when we had to hop a 2½ton (deuce & ½) to get where they wanted us quickly. So damn cold and the metal floor of the 2½ ton sucked the warmth out of your feet. Then when it stopped and you had to jump down off it, hitting the ground with completely frozen feet was like jumping on 10,000 needles. Oh I can still remember that pain 32 years later.
The worst marches ever were in Hohenfels Germany. The damn mud would stick to your boots like glue. Every 3rd or 4th step you would kick your foot out to try and dislodge 20lds of mud only to gain it back again in a couple steps. I have never walked in mud like that anywhere else in the world...... Ah the sweet memories of life as an infantry soldier. Like every Vet here on the Fire I could talk for days about my time in the Army.

Last edited by MPat70; 04/23/21.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

I have
M240 to...... will definitely make a good work out

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I could get about 1500 rds outta a maintained 60 firing sustained 100 a min for 10 mins with a barrel change before one would start chugging.

Kinda can guess what chugging is.
What causes it, and what's fixing to go wrong?

Gas system isuue mostly.
Carbon, bullet jacket shavings , heat, loose gas plugs
Slow down rate of fire.
Wpn fixing to puke on ya unless you can pull the piston.
Clean it up
Punch out gas tube with the brush.
And get that piston moving freely to hear it click back and forth in the tube tilting it back and forth with the bolt assembly locked back.

Worst thing to do is oil a 60 gas system heavy.
Very very light finger print of oil at the most.
They gave us graphite during desert storm.
Mostly for the bolt and feed tray and feed pawl system
Worthless.....

Light clp up top .
Dryish in the gas...

You could not impress this more back when. Some of you may recall being taught to lube the [bleep] out of things. Way bad idea! We broke down our gas system every cleaning , to the dismay of the armorer and PLT SGT wishing to get home to mama! We did a ton of experimenting with lubes back then. Very light oiling keeps the guns functioning and I always carried spare bolt parts with me, extractors and ejectors w/new springs, etc. We modified some old army kit bags and had them sewn up with thick parachute webbing as slings. Hung them off my left side w/300 rounds s-rolled in it. Kept the ammo clean and out of the way. I kept another 500 in my ruck ,scenario dependency varied amount. It was brutal on the shoulders!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Yes I have had the pleasure of hauling one around. The Hog is one heavy ass gun after a 17 mile road march!

Lol!!!!

Homie bought himself a new of tanker boots in germany
The ones with the wrap around leather strap.
BC authorizerd em for wear.
We was mech D co 1/ 16th

Anyways homie did a 12 miler with his newly assigned pig.
Would not give it up when people tried to spell him.

My feet were hamburger...

Thank god it was on a friday.

Young , dumb , trying to prove I was tough.
Dont show wealness.
New e4 just came in unit from carson .
Asked to be a 60 gunner after having been a AG at Carson.
Did my time on the 60.
Got lateral promoted to Corporal and made a fire team ldr.
Got a new A2.
Kept moving up .
Rest is history.

Dont wear new tanker boots on a 12 miler is the morale of the story....
🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴😂😂😂

I was 11B infantry so learned early on to never wear new boots on any sort of road march. As a Pvt1 I learned to love moleskin 😁
Our worst nightmare was in Wildflecken Germany when we had to hop a 2½ton (deuce & ½) to get where they wanted us quickly. So damn cold and the metal floor of the 2½ ton sucked the warmth out of your feet. Then when it stopped and you had to jump down off it, hitting the ground with completely frozen feet was like jumping on 10,000 needles. Oh I can still remember that pain 32 years later.
The worst marches ever were in Hohenfels Germany. The damn mud would stick to your boots like glue. Every 3rd or 4th step you would kick your foot out to try and dislodge 20lds of mud only to gain it back again in a couple steps. I have never walked in mud like that anywhere else in the world...... Ah the sweet memories of life as an infantry soldier. Like every Vet here on the Fire I could talk for days about my time in the Army.

I was stationed about 35 k SW of Stuttgart in Boeblingen .
Panzer Kaserne.
1/16 th
1st ID 3rd Bde Fwd
Main Part of Bde was in Gerpoingen (sp) about 60k west
May 86 - May 88.

Hohenfels sucked the root also just like Graf.
Reforgers were always kinda fun for 30 to 40 days.
My Psg made us all pivot steer in a winter wheat feild at the end of a dead end trail on a reforger.
5 113,s grind and turn.
Herman the German got paid big time for that one.
Watched a M88 try to squeeze thru a 600 yr old rd arch in Tubigen for some dumb reason.
Some Maintenance unit types.
Toppled over like a set of kids building blocks...
Great.....
Survives schit loads of wars.
And some dumb recovery crew of grease monkeys topples it over.
Not good......
Herman the German was not pleased with that one.

Bde task during reforger was too secure the 3 Bridges over the Rhine from Kharlesrule down to across from Strasbourg.
28, 500, and 10 sections of autobhan and connector rds going to the bridges also.
We really didnt have ta play all the reindeer maneuver games the whole time.

Good times anyways.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
atvalaska, you ran PT carrying an M60? Good grief, Im assuming you stand 6'4" if not more?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 33 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,336
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.