-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a little disingenuous: as you well know, Shilen, Bartlein, Rock Creek, Criterion, Douglas, Lilja & Wilson (not Wilson Combat) at least, are all prime barrel manufacturers in that they drill, ream & rifle barrels

Craddock, CLE & WOA machine blanks from some of those people..

I have an interesting anecdote related to this statement. Years ago, there was an M14 assembler that wanted to crack the AR15 Highpower market. Rather than put out good products that spoke for themselves, he chose to make statements like a Krieger barrel is not a "real Krieger" unless it was contoured and chambered by Krieger. At that time, Krieger was chambering their Service Rifle barrels with a 223 Match reamer which was short in the throat and known for showing pressures way before you got to speed with the long bullets . Turns out this guy didn't have the capability of contouring and chambering his own barrels from blanks, so he chose to try to turn his deficit into a selling point. He also had a statement on his webpage that he would not warranty an upper that was fired with handloads. Problem is that at that time, we were using bullets (77's, 80's and 90's) that were not being loaded by any factory. The heaviest of the day was 69's from Federal which got you to the 200 and maybe the 300 yard line, but would leave you crying at 600 and beyond.

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/22/21.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I think there are some real half-assed shops doing machining, but if anyone has a clue, fortunately there are enough really good shops around to deal with to have no reason to deal with the idiots & schmucks.

Fortunately, again, most of those half-assed shops don't normally deal with the high dollar, high end blanks.

The best blank in the world can be easily ruined by whoever is doing the final machining.

MM

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Does anyone know anything about Mike Milli, of Dedicated Technology? He apparently uses Shilen barrels.

http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-custom-barrels.html

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cousin had him build a couple of barrels, one was a 6.8 necked down to 22 and the other was a 17 Remington. Both were tack drivers but both were kinda heavy. They were gassed right and he had no issues with them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ChrisF
I have some thoughts on AR barrel accuracy. As has been said, you start with a good blank, then the barrel smith has to do their job. I like Holliger because I know how picky he is and how capable he is with machinery. He's always thinking about how he can do things better.
Random learnings from conversations;
John told me the path to a bug hole shooting AR is to put a high quality slow twist barrel on it and shoot benchrest bullets...back then he was chambering Krieger, Pac-Nor and Shilen. These days he also does Bartlein. He threw out some numbers from his last sessions that made me think about it for a brief moment...but at that point in time, I was obsessesed with throwing long javelins at long distances out of the AR.

Bill Wylde shot one of his AR's in a registered benchrest match and nearly won one of the Ag's...or did he actually win? ...I'll have to ask grandpa Yoda next time I speak with him. The Organization banned semi auto's after that. Knowing his proclivities, I would guess it was a Obermeyer or Krieger pipe.

John Feamster wrote one of the first books on AR accuracy. IIRC, Jeff rated a mention in that book. He shot some tiny groups with his AR's. I'll have to give it another read to see who made the barrels. Jeff you're thinking of BlackStar who put out Lothar Walther blanks that they electropolished. You also forgot to mention your experience with Gary Schneider.

That's a little disingenuous: as you well know, Shilen, Bartlein, Rock Creek, Criterion, Douglas, Lilja & Wilson (not Wilson Combat) at least, are all prime barrel manufacturers in that they drill, ream & rifle barrels

Craddock, CLE & WOA machine blanks from some of those people..

What I like about WOA is that they'll tell you who made the barrel you're buying (and he charges a fair price). BTW, I'm pretty sure Craddock is Paul Craddock who used to work for Holliger. I guess he decided he had his own ideas about AR smithing. Looks like one of them is a different pricing model. I also like CLE. Frank White is straight shooting literally and figuratively. I've had a few of his barrels. I even have a Douglas one that shoots OK.

Chris, the two best AR upper builders are John Holliger (WhiteOak) and Nez Rongero. As you know Blackstar did a lot of advertising about their polished LW barrels. They were a real POS and they soon disappeared from the gun business. I have a close friend that did Blackstar's initial chambering. They had him do a few for a now deceased and chunky gunwriter (giving him more credit than he is due, He said the bores varied as much as .0015. Real junk.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad you guys speak so highly of Holliger. I just wished he offered better die sets for his 6WOA, and chidt canned the 1 in10 twist and used a 1 in 8 or better instead. The one I had shot very well with the bullets it liked, but was the most finicky bastid ive ever seen. Not a good example of a premium/good barrel. Before you ask, it was a shilen.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Read this..................if you have questions about the barrel or the build, call WOA & talk to them about it.

Here's a post about one guy's experience in doing so.

MM

WOA Review from SH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chris, the two best AR upper builders are John Holliger (WhiteOak) and Nez Rongero. As you know Blackstar did a lot of advertising about their polished LW barrels. They were a real POS and they soon disappeared from the gun business. I have a close friend that did Blackstar's initial chambering. They had him do a few for a now deceased and chunky gunwriter (giving him more credit than he is due, He said the bores varied as much as .0015. Real junk.

I have some theories about Blackstar. Blackstar was a division of Delstar, a metal finishing company. I think a shooting enthusiast thought...hmmm, I think we can buy inexpensive blanks and apply our Delstar electropolishing to it and charge premium prices. Classic solution looking for a problem situation. Unfortunately the theory didn't work out, or the execution was poor...and a lot of unhappy customers got burned. Mark Stouse was the CEO back then, and his LinkedIn page says he's a Marketing exec which leads me to believe he was the man with the bright idea at BlackStar.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
How are Compass Lake's Criterion barrels? They're doing some sort of heavy profile ("Varmint" profile) Criterion, in 6mm arc right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad you guys speak so highly of Holliger. I just wished he offered better die sets for his 6WOA, and chidt canned the 1 in10 twist and used a 1 in 8 or better instead. The one I had shot very well with the bullets it liked, but was the most finicky bastid ive ever seen. Not a good example of a premium/good barrel. Before you ask, it was a shilen.

Sorry...I can't speak for your experience...but mine ended up okay. Dies are from Forster. First set didn't size the neck (think body die). John said..."hmmm sumthing's wrong. Send 'em back" They must have crossed in the air because my new dies arrived within days...and they work great. These glitches normally give me heartburn, but knowing Holliger would make it right spared me the Tums.
There was a community of 6WOA shooters with a webpage that one of them set up and all seemed happy. The first use was highpower competitors where a fast twist barrel was a must. Carl Bernosky won a bunch of stuff with his Holliger built 6mm HAGAR, but his backup upper was a 6WOA and he told me it was as accurate if not more than his HAGAR. The WOA was just 100 or so fps slower than it's bigger brother. I think there's a lot of competitors that ate a bunch of Tums because of Carl's WOA uppers.
At some point, the predator hunters got hold of the 6WOA and there was a following there. I can only guess that the slower twists were intended for that market. I have to ask, if you wanted an 8 twist, why did you get a 10?

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/23/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
How are Compass Lake's Criterion barrels? They're doing some sort of heavy profile ("Varmint" profile) Criterion, in 6mm arc right now.

Criterion barrels shoot!
I had one of their chrome-lined barrel that would put 3 shots into less than 1/3 MOA.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My theory about the Blackstar's is that they were too smooth. There's a sweet spot for barrel surface finish. It's not a "smoother is better" situation.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
My theory about the Blackstar's is that they were too smooth. There's a sweet spot for barrel surface finish. It's not a "smoother is better" situation.

Interesting theory. Maybe that is why savage rifles always shoot lights out? grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone

That's true; also having dealt with electropolishing, it's simply impossible to maintain the machined tolerances on a barrel during electropolishing; whatever those tolerances were & whatever the variation was, it will increase with electropolishing. Just the nature of the beast.

Same with chrome plating, especially if not lapped after plating, & even it it is, the variability & tolerances will be great than as machined, assuming the machining was done to a high level in the 1st place.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just like Tryone and others are saying...sounded good in theory...not so good in practice. ...or if some is good, than more is better right?
There were some “name” barrel makers that said they would not stand behind their barrels if the black star process was applied to them. I remember one was quoted as saying there was an ideal surface finish that was applied during the lapping process and messing with that got you the opposite of what you were after.

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/24/21.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Electromachining has it's place, for the low end home gamer but not the best option for high end production barrels.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Just like Tryone and others are saying...sounded good in theory...not so good in practice. ...or if some is good, than more is better right?
There were some “name” barrel makers that said they would not stand behind their barrels if the black star process was applied to them. I remember one was quoted as saying there was an ideal surface finish that was applied during the lapping process and messing with that got you the opposite of what you were after.

That's every top barrel maker with experience lapping barrels.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Pretty interesting stuff...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Electromachining has it's place, for the low end home gamer but not the best option for high end production barrels.

Electropolishing, if that is, in fact, what they were using, is not electromachining, per se'.

Electropolishing is intended for burr removal & rounding of sharp edges. It is done in a concentrated sulfuric acid + concentrated phosphoric acid bath using the part to be "polished" as an anode with inert or lead cathodes.

It produces a very highly polished, very low surface finish depending on the exact SS alloy.

It is very difficult to ensure perfect current density distribution (i.e., stock removal) over the entire surface being affected, especially at the ends as the effective current density applied to an electrode is always higher at its ends that in the middle; the amp meter can only measure & adjust the average total current, not the uniformity of its distribution.

If that makes any sense to you......................

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Electropolishing, if that is, in fact, what they were using, is not electromachining, per se'.

Electropolishing is intended for burr removal & rounding of sharp edges. It is done in a concentrated sulfuric acid + concentrated phosphoric acid bath using the part to be "polished" as an anode with inert or lead cathodes.

It produces a very highly polished, very low surface finish depending on the exact SS alloy.

It is very difficult to ensure perfect current density distribution (i.e., stock removal) over the entire surface being affected, especially at the ends as the effective current density applied to an electrode is always higher at its ends that in the middle; the amp meter can only measure & adjust the average total current, not the uniformity of its distribution.

If that makes any sense to you......................

MM

Makes good sense. I haven't played with it yet, just been reading about guys who are.

Thanks for the added color.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.