Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yeah, that happened to my young niece. Didn't make it down to the stomach, but got lodged in the esophagus. ER doc went in and got it. No more wire brushes.

I would think with stomach acid having a pH of around 1 or so that the bristle would be broken down fairly quickly. Unless, of course, you're on PPIs or H2s.

I guess if you're reading this Sunday morning that you didn't bleed out overnight, but next time, go to the ER just to be safe.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Taking all at face value, I remembered this case for its possible apparent similarity:

A young women came to the surgeon via her family doc complaining of vague abdominal pain for some time (I don’t remember the length of time). X-rays were read as negative. I can’t recall if an MRI was done but all physical exams and a barium enema, etc were also read as negative.

Finally, at a loss as to the problem the surgeon decided to do a diagnostic laparoscopy — putting small instruments into her abdomen via a couple small wounds after the abdomen is inflated to give room to work, one a camera and another to manipulate soft tissues allowing visualization. Yes, this is a surgical procedure.

After “running” the small bowel, a small area of inflammation was noted on the distal bowel. A close-up view showed a very small bone had penetrated the bowel incompletely, sticking out about a centimeter and a half. It was removed. Had nothing been done what would have happened? Hard to say, from getting worse and abscess to the small bone being walled off by an inflammatory process. Neither are a comforting resolution.

Post-op, the patient remembered eating fresh fish with rib bones in the meat a week or so earlier.

Steel bristles I know are stiff, non-bending and sharp and will doubtfully make all the small bowel turns easily. If you believe you did swallow steel bristles, you are a step ahead of this lady. I would make preparations to get in to a doc to explain the situation and get direction. Steel bristles should show up on x-rays or other tests and confirm their position to be followed up and at least be watched. It could prevent an emergent situation. If nothing shows, you may not have swallowed anything and be relieved.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Doesn't anyone chew their food?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And yes, I believe strongly in a sovereign God and the power of prayer, but also including using our intelligence and reason to work through our decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
This happened on an episode of Mystery Diagnosis. The kid dang near died before they figured out what was wrong.

I would get to a doc ASAP.

I read somewhere (might have been on Cook's Country) where you should use a brush that has twisted bristles, not the straight ones that are inserted into a handle.

The one that skeward my thumb had a fine twisted bristle. If I swallowed any without knowing, I don't know how it would matter.
How to get shards of glass and metal out without high risk surgery that has far more trauma and scar tissue is what I would like educated opinions on. Very curious having left the super pokey glass go and the law suit.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akasparky
Where is Slumlord when ya need him, gawd knows he'd have a elixir
just for this ailment!

Slumlord has excellent insurance and would be at the Endo’s office/ER in 45 mins.

Had a couple of endo scopes down the esophagus before. No big deal and you get to have fentanyl. I love that stuff.

👍

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The gut is a pretty fragile organ.

Remember a few years ago when those 5 mm rare earth ball magnet toys were popular? Until a few kids swallowed two balls and got gastroenteritis and or peritonitis. The balls would move down the gut separately until they came along side each other and became attracted through the two walls of the gut. There they would sit, locked together until they perforated one or both sections of the gut.

And those were 5 mm spheres. Not a sharp piece of hardened steel wire.

Urgent care facilities often have X-ray machines and do not charge like an ER. I would be getting abdominal x-rays daily and tracking that thing until it was gone. Even if I had to sleep in the back of my pickup in the clinic's parking lot for a few nights to make it happen.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old people:

Ice cream and naps.

Priorities

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Doesn't anyone chew their food?
You seen the size a that sucker ? Ain't got time for chewin.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I thought you self-proclaimed Shaman types had all the answers. Between this and the 'what do I do about my well' thread, I believe a handle change is in order...

Don’t forget the “why did my lawn mower tire blow up after I filled it with too much air.”

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shaman
Well, I'm done with dinner, and headed to bed. All is well. So far so good.

Leave yourself a note to buy a decent brush just in case you don’t die tonight.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by deflave
I thought you self-proclaimed Shaman types had all the answers. Between this and the 'what do I do about my well' thread, I believe a handle change is in order...

Don’t forget the “why did my lawn mower tire blow up after I filled it with too much air.”

The mystery remains.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by deflave

The mystery remains.....

That was a great story.

Lol

_
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
_
Drink a coca cola. My mother swallowed a thumb tak and lived...... its gonna be ok.......seriously.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you remember correctly, I told folks about the lawnmower tire in the context of "Life Comes at you Fast." I had no worries as to why it happened. Y'all are swinging wild.

Yes, thank you. I'm awake. I'm apparently healthy. No ill effects so far.

I'm off within the hour to hunt turkeys. Moose and Remnar are both bringing their skirts. Angus and I are going solo. We all have cellphones and walkie-talkies. So far we each have a tag filled.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Give 'em hell, shaman.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Back in.

@0900, I had a gob come out of Hootin' Holler and started closing on me. He got within 30 yards and I got my gun up. I was waiting for him to clear some bushes. A few minutes later, he appeared 90 deg off to my right. He circled around below me, and popped up just above the grass. He caught me moving my barrel around and left.

It turns out everyone else had seen him as well. He's started the morning about a 1/4 mile away on the east side of the property. He came around Angus' blind and then took off towards Moose's blind 500 yards away. Moose saw him come up out of the hollow and then veer off towards me.

No aches or pains. I'm feeling blessed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to hear you are unperforated and unscored Shaman.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Did you die>? I'll contribute to your funeral/

I hope you made it though

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Can you put seafoam down there???

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,827
Posts18,516,845
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.