Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Gel batteries are pretty much obsolete and I dont know if they are even made anymore. MK was the last I knew of. AGM has replaced them.

They were designed for FAA and shipping purposes, not because they last longer or are "better" than flooded wet batteries.

The price of the battery doesnt mean squat; you can ruin a $400 one the same ways you can ruin a cheaper one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lithium...They're getting very popular but they have a real problem if you charge them below 32F. Charging them when cold can do permanent damage to them. There's new tech that allows some to be charged when cold but I don't know how widespread it is now or whether most automotive batteries have it now.

Who knows about using them in a boat?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just bought a marine starting battery from Academy. Interstate 1000 marine cranking amps with 135 reserve capacity minutes. It was $94.00. Group 24

I usually get about 5 years or so. Marine warranty is usually only 12 months, unless it's for an optima or such.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
As long as you don't run really long hard days or all weekend without charging you will be fine with one group 24 or better yet a group 27 marine cranking battery of whatever your budget allows.
If you are going to run harder, longer, or add more electronics you may consider adding another battery, a deep cycle would be ideal.
Unless you have a boatload of cash, I would avoid all the AGM and gel cell hype and just get a flooded lead acid type for around $100 bucks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run a group 24 starting battery for the motor, hooked up with an isolator is a group 27 dual purpose. 24 is isolated to start the motor only. 27 is to run electronics live well etc. That way if I spend a lot of time without running the motor it will still start.

Two yellow top group 31 optimas for trolling motor use only. Spendy but 16 + years old and going strong. Only run a charger when needed, never leave it hooked up otherwise, can overcharge cause problems.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lake, River or Great Lake/Ocean???

Last edited by Reba; 04/26/21.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't over think this. I use a 29 starting battery on my motor and electronics, and have two 27' deep cycles for the trolling motor. 27's are all that fit in the battery compartment. The whole works is tied into a three bank automatic charger and when the boat goes in the shed, the cord is plugged in. All day, all week, all winter. Let the charger do its job.

When the batteries die, they die and you get new ones.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be wise to have a matched pair of dual-purpose batteries linked by a (make-before-break) battery switch so you can reserve a fresh start battery that will not be drawn down by accessories, while being easy to combine them for charging off the main engine. There is no need to spend $400/battery. Flooded batteries provide the best bang for the buck.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer Naval batteries. They are much more even tempered.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And Air Force batteries don't work at all.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No battery expert. But I’ve tried to stay away from lead- acid batteries in boats. Most battery failure is caused from cells shorting together. Caused by segment in bottom of battery. Vibration and pounding of a boat increases this.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I prefer Naval batteries. They are much more even tempered.

But the Naval E7 to E9 models are often pretty heavy. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Four mainly starting a 115HP 4 stroke, what is the difference between a $100 battery and a $400 battery?

$300. grin

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by johnw
Crow hunter,

I like your set-up, and I'm personally geared towards redundancy on any critical system.

Question...
Could that battery selector switch, or something similar be used to connect to a trolling motor battery for an emergency start. Would doing so complicate the charging system?
Also, would the 1&2 switch position work with different style batteries? (deep cycle and starting)

I don't think it would work well for connecting the trolling motor battery in the situation you mention because the positive cables attach to the switch. To have the trolling motor battery backup you'd have to figure out a way to ground the trolling motor battery to the engine also. Mine are isolated from the boat's electrical system and I prefer that. I carry a tool kit on my boat, my plan if both starting batteries fail is to simply unhook the trolling motor batteries and swap one into starting battery's place. I've never had to do it but a minute with a 1/2" wrench will have the batteries swapped. I figure if I can't get it started with four batteries then I've got something else that's the problem.

The switch should work fine with different style batteries, it's just a basic isolation switch, nothing fancy. Those switches are the norm on smaller saltwater boats with two battery setups. Something used offshore needs a bit more redundancy than your average bass boat.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Four mainly starting a 115HP 4 stroke, what is the difference between a $100 battery and a $400 battery?

$300. grin

I am really surprised to see this response on Page 3. I would have guessed within the first few responses. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Four mainly starting a 115HP 4 stroke, what is the difference between a $100 battery and a $400 battery? This is a recreational boat, with a battery charger installed on boat. Boat also has a 9.8 kicker that has its own fuel line to main tank. It’s a pull start. One Garmin fish finder, and stereo.

The cheaper batteries have conventional, wet-cell construction. The more expensive batteries are typically AGM batteries, which are sealed and immobilize the acid in a fiberglass "sponge" to prevent spilling and leaking. AGM batteries are ideal for motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles, where there is lots of vibration and the increased possibility of unusual positions (like rolling upside down). They are great in the marine application, as well, but I (personally) haven't found them worth the extra cost.

Originally Posted by RAS
Side bonus question:

Wouldn’t doubling up on two $100 batteries with a switch be better than one of the $400 batteries?

In my opinion, yes.

Originally Posted by RAS
And the double or nothing side bonus question:

What battery do you recommend for the above application?

I like the group 27 deep cycle batteries from Costco or Sam's Club. More info listed below:

My first boat had a single Yamaha F115, and I had a two-battery setup - one starting battery and one house battery for everything else. Instead of a 1-2-ALL battery switch, which I avoid, I had a 65A Blue Sea Add-a-Battery setup. The automatic charging relay is no-hassle way to go - just turn the battery switch on at the beginning of the trip, and turn it off at the end of the trip. Easy!

The charging relay makes sure both batteries charge, when the engine is running, and both batteries are isolated when the engine is off. You can run the house battery completely dead, and still have a fresh starting battery to get you home.

If your 115 outboard puts out more than 65A for charging, Blue Sea makes a 120A version, as well.

My current boat has twin outboards, and I run a 3-battery setup - one starting battery for each outboard and a single house battery. I use group 27 deep cycle batteries from Costco or Sam's Club. They have a high enough MCA rating to use as a starting battery, and they have enough storage capacity to function as a house battery. For $82 they are a bargain! I just replaced my two starting batteries for this season; had the old ones since 2016. They still worked fine, just replaced them as a preventative maintenance item. I replace my trailer bearings before they need it, as well. I figure I'd rather change them in my driveway than along the side of the road somewhere, with minimal tools and traffic whizzing by.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be boat season...
I thought you were talking about these:

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The man needs one(1) decent battery, didn't see where there was any mention of a trolling motor............Read people.........

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My Mercury 2010 115 hp four stroke came with one group 24 battery when my boat was new. Near the end of the season if I didn’t keep the battery charged cold starts became iffy.

I changed to a dual battery system with group 27 batteries and cold starting issues later in the season went away. Keep the terminals clean and connections tight and minimal problems.

Last edited by Mike_S; 04/27/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
3rd boat thread I've stayed away from in the past couple of weeks, even though I've made my living in the marine industry for the last 31 years. I learn so much here. 😁😁

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,046
Posts18,482,225
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.