Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
Looks to me about like shooting range cattle and just as easy to hit. A lot more expensive though. Better hope the meat is good, there will be lots of it. I love seeing them but would never go to that much trouble for what is just grass fed beef.

If one looks at the millions of bison killed pre 1900, 99& of them were killed in a similar manner. There was no stalking, hunting as we know it today.They went out ,found where the herd was, and started killing. Many times 100's at a time.I guess we ought to say something about all hunters that kill deer and hogs over a corn feeder,or plant fields to entice deer to come in so they can be killed from a blind. SHEESH!!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Full3r
I have one booked this fall with “The bison ranch” out of North Dakota. Ranch in pingree if I remember right. 3 nights lodging, a 2to -2 1/2 year old bull or heifer. They butcher and quick freeze it on sight. Keep head, hide and any other parts I want. Taking wife’s grandpa as it on his bucket list. Everything said and done $4200. Little higher than some of the others I looked at but they do all processing and will transport hide and skull to taxidermist. After bison hunt I can hunt the ranch for predators or pheasant at no extra cost so all in all it not terrible. Allows 1 guest at no extra cost.

Just some numbers for you guys who might be thinking about it.

That actually sound pretty damn reasonable....

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 117LBS
I have one booked this fall with “The bison ranch” out of North Dakota. Ranch in pingree if I remember right. 3 nights lodging, a 2to -2 1/2 year old bull or heifer. They butcher and quick freeze it on sight. Keep head, hide and any other parts I want. Taking wife’s grandpa as it on his bucket list. Everything said and done $4200. Little higher than some of the others I looked at but they do all processing and will transport hide and skull to taxidermist. After bison hunt I can hunt the ranch for predators or pheasant at no extra cost so all in all it not terrible. Allows 1 guest at no extra cost.

That is a good price for sure

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by 117LBS

That is a good price for sure

Did a "hunt" with the bison ranch about fifteen years back. It was a harvest I knew that going into it. Of course price was way less. I paid 800 bucks for the whole package. Processing was extra. At the time there was a outfit in town doing the processing. At the time Oren Krapp was running things. His son has taken over. Oren was still casually involved last I heard. If his son runs the place even half as good as his old man did it will be the best experience you ever have related to hunting. It is beyond a first class operation. They have made a ton of improvements to lodging since then. Beautiful area to wonder around. You won't be disappointed. Been kicking around the idea of doing this again. Time and money just never seem to line up.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
Contact 30 hart on here, he does hunts on the crow reservation. It's a bit more interesting than a pasture hunt. A bit more expensive too. But a beautiful place.

Ive hunted there. Those hunts are free ranging bison and run over $10K .

Trophy bulls yes, cow was half that. Like I said more expensive than a ranch hunt but a great experience for a once and done bison hunt. If I do it again,ranch all the way. Unless I win the lottery.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Looks to me about like shooting range cattle and just as easy to hit. A lot more expensive though. Better hope the meat is good, there will be lots of it. I love seeing them but would never go to that much trouble for what is just grass fed beef.

I’ve never hunted Bison but I’ve read about a few & they certainly sounded like hunting by any definition of the word. I’m sure there are some “canned hunts” but would not presume to judge all Bison hunting by such. That would be ignorant.

I remember thinking that way about Zebra before I went to Africa. Thought they’d be like shooting a horse in a pasture. Certainly learned different when I joined my friend on his Zebra hunt. Wily creatures & probably the most work we put into any one animal. I wound up hunting one after that experience.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
About 15 years ago I did a farm type hunt was more of a shoot! I took a 2 year old cow, used a 1886 win. 45-70, the meat was great, got 429lbs went with a skull mount got about 3ft. Of hide and tail tanned, was going to make a back quivver out of it, I wish I'd just had the hole hide tanned. I'd do it again if I could afford to.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Every hunt I’ve ever gone on, worrying about it being a “fish in a barrel” too easy hunt, has turned out to be physically taxing. Several wilderness hunts have turned out easy.

Ya just never know...

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I’ll post bc an update after the hunt in its own thread. I’m not planning on a super hard hunt, mostly going to go be with wife’s grandpa. He did a lot for us while I was in the service and it started out more of a hunt for him to be happy. But the closer it gets the more excited I’m getting. I’d love to do a free range trophy hunt but the prices are more than I can convince the wife to let me spend. Maybe someday. Good luck to the O.P. on finding what he looking for.
David

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tag

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You have no clue. Some are free range and they are not just standing around waiting to get shot.
Free range, wild bison are not grass fed beef by any means.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looking for a package hunt in Oklahoma, Texas Panhandle, Kansas or eastern Colorado. Might consider Nebraska. Want one that allows blackpowder cartridge rifles.

Last edited by Caplock; 04/26/21.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks to all. When I posted this,I did not expect as many replies and experiences. I now have 5-6 good leads in various states. Even a coupe within 60 miles of homeI can check out this year. Probably do the hunt in the fall after ML season.
Thanks again.

Vince

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As pointed out even the wild buffalo will sometimes just mill around, they are like Musk Ox and other large herd animals that are used to standing their ground if attacked by wolves or other predators. Sometimes they will form a defensive circle with calves in the center. I would not worry about anything as long as they were free range or in a really large pasture of several hundred acres or more. The meat is excellent and at <$10 a lb. it is a bargain. It will be worth the health benefits alone.

Has anyone run across places that will tan and make jackets from the hide?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What will you use for a rifle? I think a single shot in say 35 Whelan, 375 H&H, 405 Winchester or 450/400 would be fun. Of course a Sharps would be the best.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have little desire to shoot one but alot of desire for a huge one on the fireplace in my cabin. Not $6500 worth though. Yikes.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSPfan
What will you use for a rifle? I think a single shot in say 35 Whelan, 375 H&H, 405 Winchester or 450/400 would be fun. Of course a Sharps would be the best.

I think it's a hunt that calls for a 45-70

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A .480 Ruger handgun does the job nicely......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mark

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GSPfan

I’ve decided for mine it s perfect spot to use my model 71 in 348 with 250 gr Barnes originals over h4350 @ 2200fps. As close to a proper Buffalo rifle I have now that I sold off my 1886. 2nd choice is a Mauser 98 in 9.3x62 with 286gr partitions@ 2500.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1lesfox, 58 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.