Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm told by G&F that there are 12 animals to be culled, meat will be processed on site and the cullers will get some but the majority goes to the tribes as does the hides and skulls.

Kent

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
This is a cull not a hunt because of all the legal ramifications in the difference. That's the reason for the distribution of parts.

Kent

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Get out the file and sharpen up the front sight on ol' Betsy.

Originally Posted by ol_mike
I'd never be able to pass the Marksmanship test if I thot I could I'd apply .

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by rainshot
So they carp about pioneers murdering off the huge Bison herds in the 19th century and now they're going to revisit it again in order to keep the park tidy for visitors and hikers? Why not just allow hunting for all species?

Did you read anything on that notice?

It has little or nothing whatsoever to do with visitors or hikers. It's in an area of the North Rim that gets very little visitation. Sure, they mentioned "visitor experience", but if you have knowledge of the area, you know there are very few folks going to that part of the park. They don't run tour buses of folks from Las Vegas to that part of the Park. There are no amenities there, it's basically "wilderness:" such as it exists in the US nowadays. Folks that get picked are going to have to carry that bison meat out on foot.

The herd there has moved from an area where hunting is allowed, and they stayed because conditions are likely better there than where they were introduced. This hunt has more to do with protecting habitat for other critters in the park and protecting other resources.

Hunting of other species in that Park? Ha, not going to happen any time soon, no matter how much sense it might make to us hunters.

I commend the Park for trying to come up with a method the PETA folks can't stop easily. It's not "hunting" for recreational purposes, it's not Gooberment hunters going in to slaughter animals, it's associated with some Tribal entities, and if it works it's helping the other critters in the Park and the general habitat.

If I was 45 and not of "Medicare" age with a bad back, two repaired shoulders, a replaced knee, and arthritis in a few other places, I've got a nice rifle that fits their criteria and I'd be putting in for this chance. Just in case I got lucky.

I just mention Peta because they have protested cull hunts at other national parks where herds were so large that the over population and lack of natural predators lead to an overall sickly herd.
The peta idiots didn't even spend enough time at the park to see or assess the condition of the animals...

They could care less about the conditions of the rest of the animals or the habitat is my thinking.

If it involves killing critters they're likely going to protest anyway.

I was just saying their types won't have much of a leg to stand on in court, especially going against the Tribes, the Park Service, and the AZGFD. Seems to me this has been and issue for awhile now. Finally getting addressed. When those critters first started moving off Forest Service lands, where there's been a hunt for years and years, the agencies knew there was trouble brewing. Now they seem to have come up with a somewhat workable solution.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
I'm told by G&F that there are 12 animals to be culled, meat will be processed on site and the cullers will get some but the majority goes to the tribes as does the hides and skulls.

Kent

Seems to be what their websites say. Except they don't seem to specify the skulls/hides going to the tribes. Probably a way to get their cooperation?

Originally Posted by krp
This is a cull not a hunt because of all the legal ramifications in the difference. That's the reason for the distribution of parts.

Kent

Definitely not a hunt. Not only PETA, but that would draw the ire of HSUS, and every other anti hunting group, probably worldwide even.

Much harder to argue against a biological need.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hides and skulls go to the tribes or it's a hunt... from G&F contact.

Kent

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting.

Likely some would consider them "trophies" otherwise.

I'd just like a hide for the truck to sleep under on those cold Dec late hunts! wink

Last edited by Valsdad; 04/28/21.

In it is contentment

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Not that every time I'm told something from one G&F person has ended up 100% correct, but I believe this.

Kent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

That shouldn't be hard from some sort of rest but not near as easy offhand. Found it on their site.

Can I use a bipod or other rifle rest during the qualification?
You may shoot in the field position that you are most comfortable and can use any type of rest or stabilizing equipment that you will pack into the field. Examples include bipods, shooting sticks, foam pads, backpacks, lightweight shooting bags, etc. This qualification is designed to mimic real-world conditions as much as possible so bring what you plan to actually use in the field.

Last edited by coat4gun; 04/28/21. Reason: found info on site

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like the minimum rifle would be somewhere around a 308 in power. Minimum 2500 ft/lbs muzzle energy and 165 grain bullet. I have several rifles that meet that bill... and dang I love Bison meat... not that this is a hunt.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

All of this to cull 12 Buffalo?

You’d think the Park Service would already have staff somewhere capable of getting that done. Must be factors involved we’re not aware of.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I pass if I can't keep the meat, which is well down my preference list. But then, I've only had it in restaurants, and you know how that goes. Probably better straight from the field. But I bet it isn't as good as musk-ox.....

Prohibitively expensive for a "I wanna kill a bison" feel good. At least for me.

3 of 5 in 4" at 100 from a "field position?? I'd only need one, and it WLL go into that 4" target area. Groups of one are like that. smile

But I guess the cert is good for minute of buffalo, eh? And they should specify cows only, if population control is the goal.

I would use my .338WM, probably with a premium bullet, tho my current stock of 250 gr. Hornady RN handholds at MOA would suffice, most likely. I do have 3 rounds of .5 MOA Sierra GK 250's left - they print 5 inches higher at 100 than the RN. Or if I got desperate for accuracy, I'd use the M98 in '06, all 11 lbs of it, definitely with a premium bullet. It shoots 3 of all factory buolets tried into an inch at 300 yards - haven't tried 5 shot group at 100 yet. Nor reloads. I'm sure it would be up to the task.

As below, when do the horse and burro hunts come up, destructive beasts that they are?

Last edited by las; 04/28/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

All of this to cull 12 Buffalo?

You’d think the Park Service would already have staff somewhere capable of getting that done. Must be factors involved we’re not aware of.

Odds are there would be major lawsuits, NEPA paperwork, etc etc etc if they went that route. Probably still had some work going this route, but with all the cooperators, it will be hard to say it's a bad thing.

Why they don't just reduce the herd by 1/3-1/2 I'll never know. Too much at one time?

Then again, I'd shoot horses (the "wild" ones) if allowed.

In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coat4gun

That shouldn't be hard from some sort of rest but not near as easy offhand. Found it on their site.

Can I use a bipod or other rifle rest during the qualification?
You may shoot in the field position that you are most comfortable and can use any type of rest or stabilizing equipment that you will pack into the field. Examples include bipods, shooting sticks, foam pads, backpacks, lightweight shooting bags, etc. This qualification is designed to mimic real-world conditions as much as possible so bring what you plan to actually use in the field.

From a sitting position with a sling getting 3 out of 5 shots in a 4" circle at 100 yards is the easiest part of the qualifications.

Hauling out bison carcasses over rough terrain on foot is the challenging part.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by coat4gun

You may shoot in the field position that you are most comfortable and can use any type of rest or stabilizing equipment that you will pack into the field.

An F-150 with the window rolled down?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
They already 'moved' over 80 back east, probably some older ones not worth moving to be culled. It said there could be other culls in the future.

Just use a Bog death grip tripod for a rest.

Kent

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I need to know how many miles am I gonna be packin' meat out to the nearest road?

The huntin' part and the accuracy part are definitely doable. The packin' out part is iffy.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by las
I pass if I can't keep the meat, which is well down my preference list. But then, I've only had it in restaurants, and you know how that goes. Probably better straight from the field. But I bet it isn't as good as musk-ox.....

Prohibitively expensive for a "I wanna kill a bison" feel good. At least for me.

3 of 5 in 4" at 100 from a "field position?? I'd only need one, and it WLL go into that 4" target area. Groups of one are like that. smile

But I guess the cert is good for minute of buffalo, eh? And they should specify cows only, if population control is the goal.

I would use my .338WM, probably with a premium bullet, tho my current stock of 250 gr. Hornady RN handholds at MOA would suffice, most likely. I do have 3 rounds of .5 MOA Sierra GK 250's left - they print 5 inches higher at 100 than the RN. Or if I got desperate for accuracy, I'd use the M98 in '06, all 11 lbs of it, definitely with a premium bullet. It shoots 3 of all factory buolets tried into an inch at 300 yards - haven't tried 5 shot group at 100 yet. Nor reloads. I'm sure it would be up to the task.

As below, when do the horse and burro hunts come up, destructive beasts that they are?

Yes, the accuracy requirements seem laughable for a young marksman. I would have to go prone to make the shots today. But thirty years ago when I was shooting the Garand in DCM practice shoots, 12 out of 20 inside four MOA offhand at 100 yds would have gotten one laughed off the firing line.

And can a guy not use his saddle pony to retrieve the carcass?

If I intended to kill a bison, I would use the same rifle which has proven effective on bull elk at 400 yds. A Ruger #1 in 7mm STW with the 162 gr Hornady spbt at 3200 fps mv. It won't bounce off.

As to the practicality of the matter? Across the street, 100 yds from my house, is a pasture fence. Contained therein are 140 head of bison on 350 acres. For the price of the meat my old school mate who owns the herd has said I could shoot the critter of my choice, excepting his four herd bulls. If you timed it right, as he was replacing an old bull with a new one from different bloodlines, you could shoot the old bull.

Probably cheaper than the morass organized by GCNP. No lottery, 100% chance of success. You keep all the meat, and the skull, and the hide. Plus, no packing. They would lift the carcass right into the back of your pickup with a tractor and front end loader. Then give you directions to a USDA facility experienced in cutting and wrapping bison.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
All this talk. I'm gonna apply. I don't care what chance I stand. Have coolers and a backpack and will travel.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.