Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The old Single Six had a dovetail rear.
The Super Single Six had a windage/ elevation adjustable sight.
Looks like they have made a new version of Single Six to be like the Wrangler

Last edited by hookeye; 05/02/21.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
my single six says Colt on it.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mcclure
Went to the local gun store, no single-sixes, as expected. They did have a wrangler in black cerakote. The availability combined with the vastly cheaper price is awfully tempting. I think I will stay strong and hold out for the right single six when it comes along. It wouldn't take too much convincing to make me go for the wrangler, though...

Rugers have always been solid guns, if a bit heavy. I would be a bit apprehensive though on the Wrangler due to the price although I have to admit they got the Ruger American correct. I'd still have to wonder where Ruger cut corners with the Wrangler, or however they got the price down so far. Hammer cams are often the first failure on cheaper manufactured hammer assemblies, so I'd be especially suspect there.

Good luck if you do go the Wrangler route. I'd be interested to see how well they hold up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The difference in the first Ruger SS bore diameter and since the convertible was introduced is .002, the base of a 22 bullets is cupped and expands when fired.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Single-Six is never a mistake.

I had the 4.62" 22lr/22wmr long ago, regret letting it go.

Now I have a 6.5" 22lr/22wmr. I don't have any complaints about the accuracy, but my 22/45 Target does beat it a bit.

25 yards, standing, modified Weaver,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The problem with convertibles is there's a difference in bullet diameter between the two cartridges so the barrel has to have a 'compromise' bore diameter to shoot both. Generally, it turns out that the .22lr won't shoot as well as the magnum in these guns. If smaller groups give you the warm fuzzies get one or the other. If you need a utilitarian revolver that covers a lot of tasks, get the convertible.

Correct, though I am not sure the bore size of convertibles are a compromise. I believe it is sized for the larger .22 Mag, so .22 LRs generally aren't optimal in the convertibles. I bought a convertible as a trap gun a few months back and honestly, I am not even comfortable shooting cats in a trap at 5-10 feet with the only brand of .22 LR I have tried (Aguila) thus far. Maybe CCIs, American Eagle or whatever else would be better. Time will tell I guess.

A few different brands of .22 Mag are plenty accurate through it though.

I see you have the standard cylinder in there MontanaMarine. What brand of .22 LR did you shoot that group with?

I believe that was some Rem 'golden bullet' hollow points. Just the cheap bulk stuff.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's some Aguila 60gr subsonic. 10 rounds at 25 yards.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thinking about grabbing a single six 22 as my first handgun. I’ve heard that they have decent accuracy although reports vary. I’m curious if newer ones are likely to be more accurate, as with Ruger’s rifles. I’m not looking for a precision instrument, however - just something fun and accurate enough that I can learn to be a decent shot with it.

Also, I’m leaning towards the 4 inch barrel. Seems more handy for a gun I’d like to carry on the trail someday. Am I giving up much with a shorter barrel?

I've owned at least 2 dozen Single Sixes / Single Sevens in .22 LR / .22 mag, .32 H&R mag, and .327 Federal. Yep, accuracy is variable. I think it is worth the risk. I've had some lemons but I've also had some real gems. My current Single Six hunter shoots very well. My first, back in the mid 80s, was a 4-5/8" barreled blued gun and it shot very well .. wish I had it back. Another just like it is high on my list. I think you'll be happy with your choice if that's what you get. One thing, though, is the triggers are often pretty rough. I have the tools to fix them up so it is not a big deal to me, but you might want to plan on having a gunsmith go through your new gun immediately taking out some of the grit, excessive sear engagement, and lighten the springs slightly. It is tough to master a new skill when you're fighting your equipment.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My single six 6.5 inch only shoots good with the cheap federal american eagle 22 LR even compared to the tighter fit 22 mag.

I tried shells that were reworked with a paco kelly tool and didnt see much improvement.

If you want accurate... go right to the the S&W 617. It blows away the single six, two mark 2's, one mark 4 in my collection.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Went to the local gun store, no single-sixes, as expected. They did have a wrangler in black cerakote. The availability combined with the vastly cheaper price is awfully tempting. I think I will stay strong and hold out for the right single six when it comes along. It wouldn't take too much convincing to make me go for the wrangler, though...

ruger wrangler is fine too, i have both. since the single six is built like a brick outhouse, and ruger offers superb warranty service, used ones are decent buys too.

if i were starting out i would get a wrangler and be perfectly happy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have always wanted one that shot. I have owned 3 in the past and all of them shot like crap. I have had good luck with the 10 shot GP 100 in 22 and the Mark 2.. Also I really like my Smiths, I have a 17 and an 18. Maybe I have just had bad luck but I don't see myself paying for another Single Six.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thinking about grabbing a single six 22 as my first handgun. I’ve heard that they have decent accuracy although reports vary. I’m curious if newer ones are likely to be more accurate, as with Ruger’s rifles. I’m not looking for a precision instrument, however - just something fun and accurate enough that I can learn to be a decent shot with it.

Also, I’m leaning towards the 4 inch barrel. Seems more handy for a gun I’d like to carry on the trail someday. Am I giving up much with a shorter barrel?

Ive got one with the 4 and 5/8 inch barrel...it shoots better than Im capable of shooting it. Wish Id held out for the 5.5 inch barrel simply because it feels better to me.

The Single Six if a sure bet if you want quality, accuracy and durability.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anyone know if the Single Ten has a bore specific to .22 LR? My gut tells me they probably use one size for all the .22s.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Anyone know if the Single Ten has a bore specific to .22 LR? My gut tells me they probably use one size for all the .22s.

I think you're right, no doubt for economy reasons, I'd bet they are using the same bore size.I wouldn't want a Single Ten, though, too much poking and pushing during reloads. My Smith 617 has spoiled me for that. I hardly use my Single Six much. I did shoot it a but this morning, just fooling around with it. I shoot the Smith better...............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I'm looking at used Single Sixes now - any ideas on what would be a good price for a used 22lr/22mag new model single six blued in good condition? I'm not sure what I should be expecting to spend.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by roundoak
My 1957-58 three-screw Single Six has a adjustable rear sight and just assumed that the Single Six always had adjustable sights. Wrong. A New Model Single-Six is available with a integral rear sight.

https://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixConvertible/specSheets/0629.html

I’ve read those old Single Six’s had a .222” bore vs the post convertible series with .224” to accommodate the WMR round. Some claim the older, tighter bore shoots the .22LR round tighter than the .224” bore.

I have a flat gate, early gun with tighter bore, that’s really accurate. Have not had a chance to compare the two bore diameters. Would welcome opinions, results comparing the old and the new.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm looking at used Single Sixes now - any ideas on what would be a good price for a used 22lr/22mag new model single six blued in good condition? I'm not sure what I should be expecting to spend.

I paid $450 for a stainless 6.5" Single Six a couple of summers ago. It was/is in cherry condition, with both cylinders. Values are dependent a LOT on where you are, though, some areas will have higher values vs. others. I wouldn't pay more than $400, though, even in this convoluted market full of sky-high prices right now.

Frankly, I thought I was paying too much back then, a new one was about $200 more than that, but now I'm not so sure. .

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just get one with adjustable sights if dialing in your point of impact is important to you.

Otherwise the fixed sight version offers a windage adjustable rear sight that you can carefully tap over for windage. And the front blade ought to be accurate enough for elevation as is, for minute-of-soup can accuracy out to 30 yards or so.

If needs must, you can carefully file and re-blue the front blade sight to raise the point of impact for your favorite brand of .22 shells.

The Single Six is practically indestructable with it's all coil spring action, steel receiver, and aluminum grip frame.

And you can get it in all stainless steel.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dang it! Now you guys have me looking at one...
I don't know how I've lived this long without one.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K

I'd say easy 450 right now.

I did luck up on an old 80s one in the yellow/black box a few years back, all paperwork, even the red cylinder bag, 300 otd. I doubt I/you could find that now.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I paid $500 for a NIB 50th anniversary recently and felt like I got a decent deal on it. Also, I am not the best pistol shooter and it was putting .22lr into a ragged hole at 25 yds. Best I have ever shot a handgun honestly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,166
Posts18,484,492
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.