Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
This has been bugging me for a while. mad

A Central Edmonton gun shop just north of Stony Plain Road has implemented security rules since Covid19 that I just can't comply with, so I no longer shop there. I have bought a lot of gun related products, ammunition, reloading supplies and tools, and a significant number of guns from them, but I just can no longer give them my business.

The requirement, which was introduced some months ago, is in response to Alberta and Edmonton mandatory mask requirements while in businesses, and many other publicly accessible indoor places.

This Gun Shop's requirement, which is entirely of their own creation, is that customers who enter the store must stand 3 feet away while facing a wall-mounted, eye-level security camera. They must then lower their mask and allow their face to be photographed.

For a while they suggested that they were doing this because the City of Edmonton, Alberta Government, Edmonton Police Service, and the RCMP required it. But that simply was not true, and those claims no longer appear on their Home Page. However, the facial photographing demand is still in force, and IS still described on their Home Page.

The problem is that only they are demanding this, as far as I am aware of, and that there is no legal requirement that mandates it. Edmonton Cabelas has no such requirement, and I shopped at their store wearing a wide-brimmed hat and mask recently. Nobody said anything, even when I paid cash for a couple of gun cases and some gun cleaning supplies and declined to give my postal code to them.

The other problem is that NO PAL and NO identification is required to buy gun cases, reloading supplies and tools, gun cleaning supplies, rifle scopes and a bunch of other things, so why do they need to record a mug shot of every person entering their store?

I have no problem lowering my mask to allow a gun shop to compare it to the photograph on my PAL if I buy guns, ammunition, primers and other PAL items.

However, I won't submit to having a close-up mug shot photograph taken, just to walk into a store.
Or, just in order to purchase items that anyone can buy without even possessing a PAL.

HELL NO!

What do you think?

Last edited by saddlegun; 04/29/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The only reason I can see is that they are scared about not being able to identify someone who robs the place or shoplifts. Hell, if I can walk into a jewelry store or the bank with a mask, I don't see the point of them having customers stand in front of a camera.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’ve seen a lot of goofy stuff on the streets in that neighborhood over the years.
It’s a pity that it’s come to this.
Do you have something that needs to be hidden ? Do they compare your mugshot to your PAL picture ?
I agree that it could be seen as an intrusion, but perhaps it helps mgmt screen out “problem” individuals.
Unlicensed, or infected, someone with a grudge. That area of Edmonton has all those in abundance.
In my view, it’s Not worth getting wrapped around the axle about.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I agree it's partly about shoplifting and even robbery concerns.

Still, you can't demand that all of your customers submit to having a close-up mug shot taken just for the privilege of walking into your store, and then expect that everyone is just going to meekly accept it.

Something else to consider is that by saving close-up mug shots of people who have done nothing wrong, you create a handy-dandy little database for police to use.

Cross-matched with Drivers Licenses and Provincial I.D. card photographs using the same biometric software, they can identify every person who enters that store from these close-up photographs.

And since I am not a criminal, I object to being "carded" by any means just because I walked into a gun shop to buy a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 338Rules
I’ve seen a lot of goofy stuff on the streets in that neighborhood over the years.
It’s a pity that it’s come to this.
Do you have something that needs to be hidden ? Do they compare your mugshot to your PAL picture ?
I agree that it could be seen as an intrusion, but perhaps it helps mgmt screen out “problem” individuals.
Unlicensed, or infected, someone with a grudge. That area of Edmonton has all those in abundance.
In my view, it’s Not worth getting wrapped around the axle about.

I certainly have nothing to hide. Funny you should ask such a question.
Your casual attitude makes you sound like a police officer when you do.

And being forced to submit to having your mug shot taken does not SEEM like an intrusion. It most certainly IS an intrusion.

Police Logic: "if you have nothing to hide then why do you object if we search you, or your house, garage, or car without a warrant?"

Actually, they did me a favor. Thanks to them I joined the 21st Century.

Instead of patronizing this Central Edmonton gun shop, I started mail ordering my supplies and ammo by on-line shopping. The shipping is often no more than the gas that I burned to drive there and back.

And, I don't have to fight my way in and out of Edmonton traffic, and add wear and tear to my vehicle. I just buy what I need from the comfort of my own home in a few minutes from any one of many gun shops in Canada.

As for firearms, I just expanded my shopping radius to Red Deer, Lloydminster, Calgary, and many others. Some I can drive to and others I just do mail order.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not a cop, thanks, but several friends over the years have been serving members.

That shop has had a lot of issues with street people, so I’m not adverse to them being screened out at the door.
If That is the price of my freedom, I’ll pay it. Annoying yes, but ultimately helps to keep costs down.

Don’t forget Bashaw Sports for a smaller Center shopping experience.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think PR in Lloyd has a similar door cam entry setup.

Similar street security issues, different city.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Not a cop, thanks, but several friends over the years have been serving members.

That shop has had a lot of issues with street people, so I’m not adverse to them being screened out at the door.
If That is the price of my freedom, I’ll pay it. Annoying yes, but ultimately helps to keep costs down.

Don’t forget Bashaw Sports for a smaller Center shopping experience.

I never saw any street people in that shop, or around that shop, ever, any time I visited, and I had been in that shop many times in the last few years.

That block is adjacent to old apartment buildings on the North end.
But the avenue in front of it is constantly being obstructed with new condo apartment building construction. To the east and west it is surrounded by larger businesses for several blocks.

Not exactly an area that street people would bother with. I would suggest that your claim that street people are a problem there is not true. They are found in the Boyle Street area, which is over a mile to the west.

Why not try trolling elsewhere?

Been to Bashaw Sports many times and bought several guns there, thanks.

No street people there either. laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
NDPdon

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I think PR in Lloyd has a similar door cam entry setup.

Similar street security issues, different city.

Total B.S. An absolute lie. They have no street security issues whatsoever.

Like I said, why not try trolling elsewhere?

Lloydminster is too small and too decentralized of a rural city to have any street people problem anyway.

I have been to Prophet River Guns in Lloydminster several times and bought a few guns from them as well. They have no such camera set-up and no requirement for customers to submit to mug shots when they enter.

That seems to be strictly the requirement of the aforementioned gun shop in Edmonton.

P.R. is located on the main street which is the dividing line between Alberta and Sakatchewan. Many large businesses on both sides of the street.

A very nice little city that I would not mind moving too.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Edmonton is full of Liberals

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by saskfox
Edmonton is full of Liberals

Sorry troll-boy. Try harder. laugh

Canadian Gun Nutz loves trolls like you. Why not stick to that forum? laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never been on any thing to do with my nuts. But I will stick yours in your throat.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Whoop whoo, bad assed bohunk.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
You know, speaking about the Prophet River Gun Shop, I had another look at their inventory.

I think that I will buy that Taylors & Company 1866 Sporting Rifle after all.

It's expensive but I can afford it.

And the 150 mile drive down would be glorious on a warm Spring day.

It's a great gun shop with a great selection of guns that you can't find anywhere else in Alberta, or Canada for that matter.

Best of all, no mandatory mug shots before you can enter.

P&D can cater to the sheeples who like having mug shots taken.

But, I won't be shopping there again.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was disappointed to find that 2 more gun shops in Lloyd had Closed up when I last passed through this winter.

No Internet presence didn’t help with either one.

I’m thinking low res security cameras aren’t going to be sufficient for a retailer handling restricted goods,
Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I was disappointed to find that 2 more gun shops in Lloyd had Closed up when I last passed through this winter.

I’m thinking low res security cameras aren’t going to be sufficient for a retailer handling restricted goods,
Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

Last edited by saddlegun; 04/30/21.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

The fact that there were other gun shops (apart from Canadian Tire) in Lloydminster surprised me. They had not turned up in any Internet searches at all.

But, I did a different search and found 2 still hanging on, and one that went out of business in 2018. (Magnum Guns)

Wildside Outdoors and Shep's Sport Center are the other two. Both are very small.
I will have to check them out.

Considering that Lloydminster is an isolated rural municipality with a population of only 30,000 people, it is more of a town than a city.

How more than one or two gun shops could stay in business in a town that size is beyond me. But, it probably has to do with the popularity of hunting in that area.

However, with Covid19 and people losing their jobs because of it, it could only hurt tiny shops like this and make it even harder for them to survive.

Camrose, with a population less than 19,000 people had only one gun shop a few years ago and it didn't last long, even before Covid19. Whenever I visited it, I was the only one there.
-----
As for security cameras in a gun shop, I have no problems with that. Security cameras are everywhere in businesses today.

However, I have yet to find a single business anywhere that demands that you remove your medical mask and submit to mug shots at 3 feet away as a condition of shopping there.

Considering that no other gun shop anywhere asks customers to do this, it obviously is not a legal requirement for selling restricted firearms.

It is only when you BUY firearms, ammunition, primers or powder that a gun shop needs to look at your PAL, and to then see your full face to match it to the picture.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by saddlegun

Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

The fact that there were other gun shops (apart from Canadian Tire) in Lloydminster surprised me. They had not turned up in any Internet searches at all.

But, I did a different search and found 2 still hanging on, and one that went out of business in 2018. (Magnum Guns)

Wildside Outdoors and Shep's Sport Center are the other two. Both are very small.
I will have to check them out.

Considering that Lloydminster is an isolated rural municipality with a population of only 30,000 people, it is more of a town than a city.

How more than one or two gun shops could stay in business in a town that size is beyond me. But, it probably has to do with the popularity of hunting in that area.

However, with Covid19 and people losing their jobs because of it, it could only hurt tiny shops like this and make it even harder for them to survive.

Camrose, with a population less than 19,000 people had only one gun shop a few years ago and it didn't last long, even before Covid19. Whenever I visited it, I was the only one there.
-----
As for security cameras in a gun shop, I have no problems with that. Security cameras are everywhere in businesses today.

However, I have yet to find a single business anywhere that demands that you remove your medical mask and submit to mug shots at 3 feet away as a condition of shopping there.

Considering that no other gun shop anywhere asks customers to do this, it obviously is not a legal requirement for selling restricted firearms.

It is only when you BUY firearms, ammunition, primers or powder that a gun shop needs to look at your PAL, and to then see your full face to match it to the picture.

A photo ID is required at Costco to permit entrance to shop. Do you shop at Costco?

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont have a problem with removing my mask for a photo.
If I did I wouldn't shop there, so why do you?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

A Central Edmonton gun shop just north of Stony Plain Road has implemented security rules since Covid19 that I just can't comply with, so I no longer shop there. I have bought a lot of gun related products, ammunition, reloading supplies and tools, and a significant number of guns from them, but I just can no longer give them my business.

The requirement, which was introduced some months ago, is in response to Alberta and Edmonton mandatory mask requirements while in businesses, and many other publicly accessible indoor places.

This Gun Shop's requirement, which is entirely of their own creation, is that customers who enter the store must stand 3 feet away while facing a wall-mounted, eye-level security camera. They must then lower their mask and allow their face to be photographed.

For a while they suggested that they were doing this because the City of Edmonton, Alberta Government, Edmonton Police Service, and the RCMP required it. But that simply was not true, and those claims no longer appear on their Home Page. However, the facial photographing demand is still in force, and IS still described on their Home Page.

The problem is that only they are demanding this, as far as I am aware of, and that there is no legal requirement that mandates it. Edmonton Cabelas has no such requirement, and I shopped at their store wearing a wide-brimmed hat and mask recently. Nobody said anything, even when I paid cash for a couple of gun cases and some gun cleaning supplies and declined to give my postal code to them.

The other problem is that NO PAL and NO identification is required to buy gun cases, reloading supplies and tools, gun cleaning supplies, rifle scopes and a bunch of other things, so why do they need to record a mug shot of every person entering their store?

I have no problem lowering my mask to allow a gun shop to compare it to the photograph on my PAL if I buy guns, ammunition, primers and other PAL items.

However, I won't submit to having a close-up mug shot photograph taken, just to walk into a store.
Or, just in order to purchase items that anyone can buy without even possessing a PAL.

HELL NO!

What do you think?

Im with you, I would take my business elsewhere. When a Canadian comes across the land border now on their return from the US they have to stand in front of a camera and read a statement saying they will follow all the rules.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 673

Since you live in British Columbia, which is a considerable distance away, I would question how often that you would actually be able to visit P&D?

But it is your choice. If you wish to be a sheeple and meekly submit to a mug shot as a condition of just entering their store, that's up to you. However, I wonder how many of our freedom-loving American friends here on the 24 Hour Campfire would do it, and how many others would boycott the store instead?

I am not a criminal. I will not register my mug shot with P&D every time that I visit their store just to buy targets, a zipper gun case, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

Since you will, I don't know whether we should be disgusted by you, or simply pity you.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Saddlegun, we’re you once known as Gulo? Why did you change handles? We all know who the real troll is, don’t we.

You should try to be more pleasant, we are all entitled to our opinions. At least be respectful when you troll. I did see you bait the other forums with the Ben &Jerry ice cream dialogue.

Glad you can afford the gun at Prophet River, now go get it and post some pictures of it.

Have a nice day,
Nick

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

Since you live in British Columbia, which is a considerable distance away, I would question how often that you would actually be able to visit P&D?

But it is your choice. If you wish to be a sheeple and meekly submit to a mug shot as a condition of just entering their store, that's up to you. However, I wonder how many of our freedom-loving American friends here on the 24 Hour Campfire would do it, and how many others would boycott the store instead?

I am not a criminal. I will not register my mug shot with P&D every time that I visit their store just to buy targets, a zipper gun case, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

Since you will, I don't know whether we should be disgusted by you, or simply pity you.

Maybe they dont want their customer's wearing a disguise.
Speaking of trolls...you call saskfox a troll, but really your a pos.
The Canadian hunting/shooting forums have been ruined because of trolls like you.....probably are Gulo...pos.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I deal with Prophet River now more than any other store. The main reason is they are really good to deal with, and I find some really unusual hard to find rifles there. My last purchase was a Left hand Montana stainless XAR in 308. Clay is a very knowledgable guy, and the importing side of their business is nice.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

HELL NO!

What do you think?

Their store, Their rules

Along with their in house registration log when purchasing a firearm.

My Money, I chose where to spend it.

I haven't been in their place of business since 2013.

Prophet River and Bashaw are my go to places

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Nick1899
Saddlegun, we’re you once known as Gulo? Why did you change handles? We all know who the real troll is, don’t we.

You should try to be more pleasant, we are all entitled to our opinions. At least be respectful when you troll. I did see you bait the other forums with the Ben &Jerry ice cream dialogue.

Glad you can afford the gun at Prophet River, now go get it and post some pictures of it.

Have a nice day,
Nick

(sigh....)

1) Nope, never been a member before.
2) Don't know who the hell your friend Gulo is.
3) And yes, we all know that the real troll is you.

The issue here is this.

Do you want to stand 3 feet from a camera and pose for a mug shot as a condition of entering a gun shop just to buy targets, zipper gun cases, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9?

I don't. I am not a criminal and I am not a sheeple.

If you are a sheeple, then please free to meekly submit.

I won't, and I can and will boycott P&D and shop elsewhere.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Local Cdn tire now has security gate at either end of gun aisle.
Signage Which mentions PAL requirements etc.

Authorized sales pers are more than happy to let you look closer once your PAL has been validated, and after your purchase it will be authenticated.

Blame it on Blair !

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

Maybe they dont want their customer's wearing a disguise.
Speaking of trolls...you call saskfox a troll, but really your a pos.
The Canadian hunting/shooting forums have been ruined because of trolls like you.....probably are Gulo...pos.

You are entitled to your opinions, even though they are absolutely false.

However, despite your attempts at distraction and deflection, the subject here is still the mug shot policy that P&D forces it's customers to submit to.

I will not meekly submit to standing 3 feet away from a camera to have my mug shot taken as a condition of entering a gun shop in order to buy targets, a zipper gun case, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

I suppose that the difference between us as Canadians, and our freedom-loving American friends is that they would protest loud and long about it and boycott this store.

Meanwhile, it appears that many Canadians would rather meekly submit to anything, rather than say anything, or do anything.

Perhaps that is why we have so many draconian anti-gun laws and a Liberal government bent on stripping us of the right to own firearms at all.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't let the local grumps get you down, saddlegun. smile The ignore button is a great feature. Put them on ignore.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Saddle guy - I feel your pain.

Surrendering your image to a high res camera database of customer images is a slippery slope.
They should be required to give you the option of retaining or deleting your image on departure.
It’s Your image !
As you have stated earlier, a HiRes image could be cross-referenced with several govt image databases for all sorts of purposes.

On the other hand, normal security footage from a network of lower res security cameras isn’t much of a deterrent.

I think it’s probably more about the tactical elitism , and Police mindset of Prohibition that pervades that establishment.
I find as time goes on that I shop there less and less for that and other reasons.

Enjoy your 1866, Post pics !

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Local Cdn tire now has security gate at either end of gun aisle.
Signage Which mentions PAL requirements etc.

Authorized sales pers are more than happy to let you look closer once your PAL has been validated, and after your purchase it will be authenticated.

Blame it on Blair !

I went to the Camrose Canadian Tire to look at guns, once.

The process was so slow and cumbersome just to find a staff member with keys, and to actually even to get to look at their guns that I gave up on them. I still shop at Canadian Tire stores, like everyone else, but I never bother with any of their gun sales departments.

Fortunately, I don't have to. There are plenty of other fine gun shops that I can buy from that don't make looking at a gun a major headache.

Some shops ask to look at your PAL before allowing you to handle a gun, but that's not unreasonable.

But, I haven't encountered even one besides P&D who demand that you stand and pose for a mug shot, just to enter the shop.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Reminds me of screening when entering the restricted access office areas at the RCMP.
Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about. Intimidating though.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but I believe that Shep’s Sports in Lloyd,Sk has closed.
He was pushing 80, time to do other things. Good Guy

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Let me get this straight Steve, saddlegun asks for opinions of a situation he feels is unacceptable and when people respond differently to his way of thinking he is vile and insults them. Then when I call him out for this you come in and support his vile behaviour. And I am the grump? You have a very twisted thought process Steve. Please, put me on ignore, I’m not going to be offended by the likes of you and of the company you keep for doing this.

My post calling out Saddlegun for his trolling was not threatening or in any way in bad taste. I didn’t insult him. If you ask for opinions, thank the people responding and move on, even if you disagree with it. But what do I know Steve, I’m a grump by your definition.

Again, place me on ignore Steve, I certainly don’t need your approval in calling out those that have no manners.

Cheers,
Nick

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by yukon254
I deal with Prophet River now more than any other store. The main reason is they are really good to deal with, and I find some really unusual hard to find rifles there. My last purchase was a Left hand Montana stainless XAR in 308. Clay is a very knowledgable guy, and the importing side of their business is nice.

Have never dealt there myself but know of several people that have. They have all been very pleased.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Don't let the local grumps get you down, saddlegun. smile The ignore button is a great feature. Put them on ignore.

Thanks for your support.

But hey, all that their silly troll attempts to bicker, deflect, and distract from the P&D mug shot issue accomplishes is to create more interest in the subject.
------
As Flyer01 said:

Their store, Their rules.
My money, I choose where to spend it.
-----
I say:

I choose to not submit meekly.
I choose to say so in no uncertain terms.
and
I choose to spend my money elsewhere.
-----

No other gun shop has this policy in Alberta that I am aware of.

Not Cabelas.
Not Bashaw Sports.
Not Prophet River in Lloydminster.
Not Wolverine G&T in Red Deer.
Not any gun shop that I know of.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I thought he was trying to label me as grumpy !

I’d like to know where all these great gun shops in Alberta, and Sk are located.
With 2 adolescent boys, I have a few requirements that need filling 😎

Without breaking the bank Of course, Ha

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Let me get this straight Steve, saddlegun asks for opinions of a situation he feels is unacceptable and when people respond differently to his way of thinking he is vile and insults them. Then when I call him out for this you come in and support his vile behaviour. And I am the grump? You have a very twisted thought process Steve. Please, put me on ignore, I’m not going to be offended by the likes of you and of the company you keep for doing this.

My post calling out Saddlegun for his trolling was not threatening or in any way in bad taste. I didn’t insult him. If you ask for opinions, thank the people responding and move on, even if you disagree with it. But what do I know Steve, I’m a grump by your definition.

Again, place me on ignore Steve, I certainly don’t need your approval in calling out those that have no manners.

Cheers,
Nick

Yup, definitely grumpy.

Everyone who disagrees with him must be a vile and insulting troll.
Even Steve, who is one of the most respectful and respected members here, as we all know.

However, despite these attempts to defame, deflect, distract, discredit, and derail the thread, the issue is still P&D and their mug shot policy.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Between you and me, this happens a lot around here. I don't know if it's COVID, the time of year or being tired, old men. laugh

Some come back "reincarnated", but carry on the same way as before they were "reborn". smile

Be Well.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Darn, Steve still hasn’t put me on ignore. On a lighter note for great videos go to The European you tube. Now he is a clever and hilarious man. Enjoy.

Cheers,
Nick

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

I’d like to know where all these great gun shops in Alberta, and Sk are located.

In Alberta, they are, to name a few:

Prophet River, in Lloydminster, which you know about
Wolverine Guns & Tackle - in Red Deer.
Bashaw Sports - In Bashaw.
Red Deer Shooting Center - in Red Deer.

I have bought guns from all of them, and I highly recommend them.

On-line, I have dealt with:

Budget Shooter Supply - in Surrey B.C., for reloading supplies & ammunition.
Rusty Wood Trading Company - in B.C., for reloading supplies, gun parts, and Starline brass.
Western Metals - in Calgary, for reloading supplies and tools, LEE Precision.
Marstar - In Ontario, for black powder guns, and miscellaneous stuff.

I have been quite satisfied with all of them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Try Prairie Gun Traders too. They do lots of mail orders.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I haven’t shopped much at P&D in the last 20 years, before that I think it was called Klondike ?
There were other shops on that street that faded away ...

Seems to me, iirc Phil was seriously injured in a restricted/ prohibited robbery gone bad.
Not that there haven’t been other incidents of that nature which led to enhanced security measures.
WholeSale Spurts comes to mind at their various locations were tested by robberies.

I’m starting to see why the Liberal C21 divide and conquer strategy is working.
We are our own worst enemies.

Cheers

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
338. Always has been called Prairie Gun Traders. Original owner.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the recommendations, the landscape is changing. Customers are aging.
Lots of the good old boys are retiring from the retail game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was equipping my teenage sons, I phoned around looking for used 30-06s. You would think easy enough, except one was left handed. I found only one in the Vancouver area. If I had to go through enhanced security, it would have been a " Large So What ! "

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I haven’t shopped much at P&D in the last 20 years, before that I think it was called Klondike ?
There were other shops on that street that faded away ...

Seems to me, iirc Phil was seriously injured in a restricted/ prohibited robbery gone bad.
Not that there haven’t been other incidents of that nature which led to enhanced security measures.
WholeSale Spurts comes to mind at their various locations were tested by robberies.

I’m starting to see why the Liberal C21 divide and conquer strategy is working.
We are our own worst enemies.

Cheers

The P&D location was indeed occupied by Klondike Arms, which had itself changed ownership.
The Custom Gun Shop was located next door to it, which created a not too friendly rivalry.
Klondike had been there since the mid-80s. Previously, the original owner was located in downtown Edmonton since around 1970 and was called Klondike Arms & Antiques, because it also sold antiques as well as a lot of new and military surplus guns.
I bought guns from all of them since age 18. Almost 50 years now.

There was also a gun shop/gunsmith business just a short distance north operated by two brothers who also made custom rifles. And, on the opposite side, on the same block, was another gun shop which had two different businesses, one after the other. Gun Row, as it was called, dwindled to just Klondike and then P&D. I bought many guns from all of them over the last 50 years.

The truth be told, practically every gun shop in Edmonton suffered break-ins over the years, regardless of the location. Security measures didn't seem to be much of a deterrent.
They always found a weak spot to exploit. Smash and grab, get in and get out fast, was always the M.O.

The enhanced security procedures, mandated by insurance companies, evolved from burglar alarms, to motion detectors, and then to high-def cameras.

Frankly, P&D is a great gun shop, but I still say that their mug shot policy sucks.
I mean, really, what next? Fingerprinting?

The mug shots on entry aren't necessary just to buy basic gun-accessory items not requiring a PAL. I mean, do you really need to do this just to buy a bottle of Hoppe's #9?

No other gun shop is doing it and it certainly is NOT required by law.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think their mind set is more directed at the Restricted / Prohibited class of purchaser.

Don’t they have curb-side pickup & phone ahead ordering for those consumables ? 😏

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I think their mind set is more directed at the Restricted / Prohibited class of purchaser.

Don’t they have curb-side pickup & phone ahead ordering for those consumables ? 😏

To review:

1) The mug shot requirement applies to ALL PERSONS when they enter the store.
2) You must stand facing a wall-mounted camera at eye-level which is 3 feet away.
3) You must lower your medical mask and allow your full face to be clearly recorded.
4) You may then fully raise your medical mask, which is mandated by Edmonton and Provincial requirements, under penalty of law for non-compliance.
5) Only then will you be allowed to proceed into the store and shop for ANYTHING.

After entering the store, Restricted and Prohibited class firearms purchasers are treated the same at P&D as in any gun shop. However, as I said, the "mug shot at entry" applies to every person who enters the store, not just them.

And, since I am sure that you have already looked at the P&D home page, you are perfectly aware that they do offer, mail order and phone-ahead curbside pickup.

But so does every other gun shop.

The problem is that while P&D does list firearms and ammunition on-line, it does not illustrate the rest of their inventory on-line, and does not have a shopping cart on-line system for ordering. That means that visiting the store in person is the only way to shop and compare and decide if what they have is what you actually want.

And, P&D is a bricks and mortar local store. That has always been it's greatest strength.
So, a policy that frustrates and offends customers entering their store seems a bad business move.

And since gun shops like Prophet River DO comprehensively illustrate just about everything on-line, and tell you the exact amount that they have in stock, and do offer on-line shopping, they are much easier to order from and get exactly what you need.

And I am not aware of any other gun shop that has the mug shot policy.

Last edited by saddlegun; 05/01/21.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The mug shot policy is really a strange move for a gun store, especially when its not mandated. You are correct in your thinking that a policy like that would doom a business south of the border. I know I wouldnt shop there. I bought a LH ruger scout from P&D a few years ago, other than that I've never dealt with them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is interesting and I am not sure what to think. I have no problem with security cameras in the stores anytime including before mandatory masks came into play.

The idea on a having to take a mug shot by dropping a mask before entering the store is a step beyond security cameras. I think a shop doing that may be off the list for the new shotgun I am looking for. Bashaw or Prophet River will get the sale.

Hugh
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder, has anyone asked P&D why they did this? I am not defending them, but it would be nice to hear their side of the story. Maybe there is something that we are not aware of.

Just a thought.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Corlanes in Dawson Creek has online sales, very knowledgeable gunsmiths and staff.
Shopping around these days is easy..

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I wonder, has anyone asked P&D why they did this? I am not defending them, but it would be nice to hear their side of the story. Maybe there is something that we are not aware of. Just a thought.

I have contacted them as I have bought product there in the past. They are doing it for security reasons to identify anyone that comes into the store in case something happens. Internal management decision to take extra steps based on a past robbery (someone drove a truck into the store after hours) and quite a number of years ago one of the owners was shot during a robbery.

Knowing this change in operation, it is up to the individual whether you want to shop there or not.

Hugh
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HughW
I have contacted them as I have bought product there in the past. They are doing it for security reasons to identify anyone that comes into the store in case something happens. Internal management decision to take extra steps based on a past robbery (someone drove a truck into the store after hours) and quite a number of years ago one of the owners was shot during a robbery.

Knowing this change in operation, it is up to the individual whether you want to shop there or not.

Fair enough. I can understand their worry about being robbed, especially with their previous problems. I know that the bank here put extra cameras around the entrance and inside.

It makes me chuckle when I walk into the bank with a mask. It would make a great cartoon. A real bank robber walks in to the bank and sees a line up of people with masks on. The caption would read, "Rats, I should have got here earlier..."

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Off course it had to do with security and employee safety. Criminals often case a place right before robbing it, this way they know exactly what is available and exactly where it is. Reviewing photos just before the crime eliminating regular customers can help in an investigation.

These are the commercial establishments that we should be frequenting and doing business with. They have suffered greatly from poor government legislation, criminal activity and now this pandemic. I only wished that I lived closer to this business, I wouldn’t be put out by their extra security measures. When in the public, wether it be on the street or in commercial establishments there is no expectation of privacy, take my picture. But when in my home or on my property I expect privacy.

Am I right Steve? It’s everyone’s choice, I frequented a gun shop where one had to make an appointment to see the firearms. They were mostly an internet sales firm but allowed a few visitors per day. This was for security reasons as they also carried restricted firearms. I was not put off by this and after a few sales I became a regular and enjoyed a great relationship with the owner and their staff. I look forward to the day post Covid to visit them again. I have tax refund dollars to spend.

Cheers,
Nick

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Simple solution, take your business where the rules or lack there of suit you. Easy peasy, no whining on the internet required.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Off course it had to do with security and employee safety. Criminals often case a place right before robbing it, this way they know exactly what is available and exactly where it is. Reviewing photos just before the crime eliminating regular customers can help in an investigation.

These are the commercial establishments that we should be frequenting and doing business with. They have suffered greatly from poor government legislation, criminal activity and now this pandemic. I only wished that I lived closer to this business, I wouldn’t be put out by their extra security measures. When in the public, wether it be on the street or in commercial establishments there is no expectation of privacy, take my picture. But when in my home or on my property I expect privacy.

Am I right Steve? It’s everyone’s choice, I frequented a gun shop where one had to make an appointment to see the firearms. They were mostly an internet sales firm but allowed a few visitors per day. This was for security reasons as they also carried restricted firearms. I was not put off by this and after a few sales I became a regular and enjoyed a great relationship with the owner and their staff. I look forward to the day post Covid to visit them again. I have tax refund dollars to spend.

Cheers,
Nick

Good summation

Hugh
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Cheers,
Nick

Wow! The Trudeau liberal left-wing anti-gun Federal government would love your attitude.

They would love to bring in legislation requiring everyone who enters a gun shop to submit to mug shots every time they enter.

The fact that you endorse having to submit to mug shots just to enter a gun shop makes me think that you are actually an anti-gun liberal troll.

Considering that you only have 22 posts, it seems likely.

Or, maybe you work for some police service in Canada, and you get paid to spread your anti-gun propaganda.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by HughW

Cheers,
Nick

Good summation

Sounds like another anti-gun liberal who wants to impose more draconian regulations on law-abiding gun owners.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I guess with 22 posts I’m a very lazy troll. I assure you that I am not an anti gun Liberal. I seldom post unless a complete moron irks me as you have Saladrifle..

If you believe that the RCMP, CSIS, CBSA, JTF2 or any other Canadian government department has the resources or technology to verify every customer entering a gun shop then you have much larger issues that cannot be dealt with in this forum. I suggest you seek professional help. Live in your paranoid delusional world and stop vilifying hard working small business people trying to keep their employees safe in trying times.

By the way have you purchased that Taylor and Company rifle yet, I’d love to see pictures of it. That would be a wonderful addition to a collection for those as well off as you.

Wonderful chatting again with you,
Nick

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

The distinction between being photographed casually and randomly by security cameras in any private business, and being forced to have to submit a close-up mug shot should be obvious to all Canadians.

I know of no gun shop other than P&D that requires it.

After all, they ask that you to:

1) Stand in front of an eye-level wall-mounted camera that is only 3 feet away.
2) Remove your medical mask that is required by law in Edmonton while in businesses.
3) Pose for the camera while it records your face in high-definition.
4) Allow that photograph to be loaded into a data-base that tracks when you visit their store and how often that you visited.

Otherwise, you can't shop there and buy a damn thing, whether that thing requires a PAL or not.

Certainly Cabelas and Bass Pro does not require it.
Certainly the larger and smaller gun shops in Alberta do not require it.

Only P&D requires it.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Simple solution, take your business where the rules or lack there of suit you. Easy peasy, no whining on the internet required.

I have taken my business elsewhere.

And, I have every right to discuss my concerns on an open forum. It's a free country.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Even liberals who want to impose even more draconian regulations on law-abiding gun owners.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I guess with 22 posts I’m a very lazy troll. I assure you that I am not an anti gun Liberal. I seldom post unless a complete moron irks me as you have Saladrifle..

If you believe that the RCMP, CSIS, CBSA, JTF2 or any other Canadian government department has the resources or technology to verify every customer entering a gun shop then you have much larger issues that cannot be dealt with in this forum. I suggest you seek professional help. Live in your paranoid delusional world and stop vilifying hard working small business people trying to keep their employees safe in trying times.

By the way have you purchased that Taylor and Company rifle yet, I’d love to see pictures of it. That would be a wonderful addition to a collection for those as well off as you.

Wonderful chatting again with you,
Nick

It is interesting that you respond with a childish and desperate tirade of insults and unfounded accusations when someone has the audacity to disagree with you.

This IS, after all, what trolls do.

You call me a moron, question my sanity, call me delusional and paranoid, and accuse me of villifying small businesses, when you know that this is absolutely untrue.

After all, I was a customer with P&D for many years, beginning the first month that they opened. I still believe that they have a fine gun shop, and I have been satisfied with every purchase that I made there. And, I have been satisfied always with their customer service.

However, I do very strongly take exception to their mug shot requirements, and I can not in good conscience shop there any longer.

Furthermore, you know as well as I do that police can easily use the same biometric data that they use when creating driver's licenses and provincial I.D. cards to easily identify anyone from a close-up high definition photo.

I certainly am not saying that they WILL attempt to identify every customer that enters P&D.
But the in-house data-base would permit them to identify a visitor there if they wished to, and when they visited, and how many times they visited.

Congratulations on your 23rd post. Even if you may be a troll.

As for the rifle, yes it is nice to be able to afford the finer things in life.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good to hear that you've taken your business elsewhere, it's the owner's shop what makes you think you get to make the rules ?

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Good to hear that you've taken your business elsewhere, it's the owner's shop what makes you think you get to make the rules ?

Their store. Their rules. They can do as they please

My money. My rules. I can boycott them and say why.

It is a free country and if I find those rules repugnant then I have every right to say so.

If a United States gun shop attempted to do such a thing, they would be universally condemned and boycotted, and doomed to rapid bankruptcy. You know that.

Our freedom loving American friends would absolutely not submit to being forced to submit to mug shots in order to just buy a few targets or a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

Any gun shop that tried this would be condemned as "left wing liberals" and communists".

But some Canadians are different I guess.

Some Canadians will accept anything and do anything without question, and meekly submit to any draconian demands. I believe that these sheeple are the reason that we as Canadians have the very unfair and restrictive gun laws that we do.

You have made it clear that you support submitting to posing for mug shots taken from 3 feet away with an eye-level wall-mounted high definition camera, and having these photos stored in the store's data-base.

Therefore, I can only suggest that you are a sheeple, a left wing liberal, or perhaps even a communist.

Why else would you endorse this?

Last edited by saddlegun; 05/02/21.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Seems like they are playing on the uniqueness of jumping through this hoop to reinforce customer loyalty.

doesn’t make me a left wing liberal sheeple.

Fits right in with the Tactical / Security mindset.
They do have a significant inventory of restricted & prohibited.

I don’t have a prohibited license, so it does seem excessive. And intrusive.
Offensive even to the casual customer.

Has their door cam mugshot database been hacked ?

Last edited by 338Rules; 05/02/21. Reason: Clarity & Ease of Reading

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty much any hunting&shooting forum in Canada will have several posters such as this one. usually its more than one poster using the same username.
My guess is paid troll, "united front" type.

Tell tale sign of a internet Communist/antifa type.......they think and say its a free Country...its a free World.....no it isn't free and only a dumbphuck would think it is so.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
673 - Exactly my thoughts, too much labelling of anyone with a differing viewpoint. Trollism

We should be talking about Bill Blair’s Prohibition !
That riles me up !

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 673
Pretty much any hunting&shooting forum in Canada will have several posters such as this one. usually its more than one poster using the same username.
My guess is paid troll, "united front" type.

Tell tale sign of a internet Communist/antifa type.......they think and say its a free Country...its a free World.....no it isn't free and only a dumbphuck would think it is so.

Wow! You are delusional.

You make up unfounded conspiracy theories to defame the OP, discredit the OP, and deflect from the issue. What your true agenda is, who can say?

Perhaps you are simply ticked off that your buddies at P&D are under the microscope for their mandatory mug shot requirement.

What I do know is that Trudeau would love what P&D is doing.

Requiring customers to submit mug shots before they can enter a gun shop and buy anything?

"What a great idea!" he would say.
"We could create a new bill and call it:
"The Pre-Identification For Safer Gun Sales Act".

Why on earth would any gun owner support such a thing?

And, since you are opposed to a free country and freedom of speech, what does that say about you?

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
673 - Exactly my thoughts, too much labelling of anyone with a differing viewpoint. Trollism

We should be talking about Bill Blair’s Prohibition !
That riles me up !

That differing viewpoint is that:

We should all, before entering a gun shop:

1) Pose three feet away from a high definition camera mounted at eye-level.
2) Allow your full face to be recorded and entered into the gun shop's mug shot database.
3) Record another mug shot every time that you enter this gun shop.
4) Do this even if you simply wish to buy targets, gun cases, plastic ammo boxes, cleaning supplies, and anything else in the shop that does not require a PAL.

Would our American friends submit to this willingly and without complaint?

HELL NO!

They would loudly complain and boycott this gun shop and it would go out of business.

And we all know this.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Frankly I am amazed that some Canadians support the P&D mug shot policy.
No other gun shop is doing this. They alone are doing this.

I have been a gun owner and a shooter for 50 years, and I have seen so much draconian
legislation passed into law to limit the rights and freedoms of law-abiding gun owners in Canada that it makes me ill.

So when a gun shop now wants to jump on that liberal party band wagon and demands that their customers submit to an in-store mug shot data base, I find it repugnant.

These are the customers who have supported them loyally through the years.
They are their bread and butter. Their livelihood.
They do not deserve to be treated like criminals.

I bought guns on "Gun Row" as it was called since the 1980s, when there were several gun shops on that street.

Klondike Arms, The Custom Gun Shop, Lock & Load, Kearns & McMurchy, and finally the last one, P&D.

Over a forty year period I bought a lot from those shops, including P&D.

I was always liked P&D. They have an excellent inventory and I have always been happy with their customer service.

However, I can not and will not, in good conscience, submit meekly to providing a mug shot for their data-base each and every time that I enter their store to spend my money.

I will never buy anything from them again as long as this data-base remains in operation.

If you don't like that, T.S.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.