Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by ingwe
Im trying to figure out how that stupid little ad raised your internet bill by $50...

Data usage.

Yep, my ISP charges by the Gig. Called pay for what you use .Problem is that even if you pause the videos at the get go they still load 50% of the video data, The ISP sees the data usage even if I dont play the thing. Some of those are 45-50 minutes long, a video that long is 2.5-3.5 Gig in data so each one loads anywhere from 500 meg to 1.5 Gig in data every page you open.

Originally Posted by TrueAt1stLight
Exactly! Ad Blocker Pro can block a specific element of a page.

LMAO does'nt work on mobile devices such as iPad and iPhone. Only works on PC where you have a source code editor built in to the OS. Sorry, thats how the block element works, examines the source code of the web page and blocks the code from executing.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Bingo

LMAO some more you aimed for the 10 ring and didnt even hit paper.

FLMAO as it works on my iPhone. No videos here.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmdriver
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by ingwe
Im trying to figure out how that stupid little ad raised your internet bill by $50...

Data usage.

Yep, my ISP charges by the Gig. Called pay for what you use .Problem is that even if you pause the videos at the get go they still load 50% of the video data, The ISP sees the data usage even if I dont play the thing. Some of those are 45-50 minutes long, a video that long is 2.5-3.5 Gig in data so each one loads anywhere from 500 meg to 1.5 Gig in data every page you open.

LMAO does'nt work on mobile devices such as iPad and iPhone. Only works on PC where you have a source code editor built in to the OS. Sorry, thats how the block element works, examines the source code of the web page and blocks the code from executing.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Bingo

LMAO some more you aimed for the 10 ring and didnt even hit paper.

FLMAO as it works on my iPhone. No videos here.

Better think again before laughing to hard, i dont see them on my Iphone either, but the are there. took less than a second to load. and all this sh*t got loaded on my phone. video,trackers and google.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Swifty52; 05/01/21.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are lots of settings on IoS to stop video play but I found them all fruitless on that particularly irritating ad here if I'm on the phone or iPad. The only solution I have found for now is I downloaded the Brave browser app from the app store. I turned off the"brave rewards" setting in the preferences and now that video is simply a black block with "this video cannot be played because of a technical error"

Who's to say if the error will be fixed sometime but I can t least browse the web without it autoplaying.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Paul Barnyard thinks he is superior to everyone and I'm sick of it

LMAO

Hahahaha you dumbass! lol

I can just see you giggling like a school girl when you post this chidt!

lmao

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This has to be as much about one’s ISP as the platform/software? Some have problems while others have no clue, nor see/experience the issue.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to imagine that little video ad uses $50 in data. Maybe you have a trojan on your computer. Otherwise, use the picker tool in ad blocker.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Hard to imagine that little video ad uses $50 in data. Maybe you have a trojan on your computer. Otherwise, use the picker tool in ad blocker.

IN his case, there is no picker tool on any ad-block on an Apple product since they do not have a built in code editor in the OS. In Safari on a desktop/laptop Mac you can select "never auto-play" on Safari settings and it goes away , but on an iPhone or iPad going to Brave as a browser is the only way I have found to kill it.

I'm running multiple ad blockers on all my platforms and they kill pretty much everything except that video.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can always try this on iOS

https://adguard.com/en/blog/encrypted-dns-ios-14.html

Or in android simply typing in dns.adguard.com in private dns if you have that setting.

If you have a Samsung, use Samsung browser, ad adguard adblocker addon also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
using an android phone as a wi-fi hotspot is my only option for internet access. I use the wi-fi to connect with a Lenovo Ideapad laptop, and I can block the video from playing, but the data usage is still there.

In late March i noticed my data usage increasing hugely. Formerly I purchased 15 GB of data monthly and had a surplus at the end of every month. I could spend hours on youtube and walk away from the laptop still signed into the 'fire without running out of data. In the last week of March my data well ran dry. Began with a new 15 GB of data on April 1, and ran dry on April 11.

Everyone points out that I could get unlimited data for a little more each month, and that is true, but unlimited data plans put a severe throttle on wi-fi hotspot usage. I mostly use my wife's unlimited plan now, and Youtube, or any video streaming is a low-res experience interspersed with multiple loading pauses. Photo image loading also cause big delays. Friday Night Music threads are a thing of the past, for me...

I've been here for 19 years or so, and started with a dial-up connection. I'm not going anywhere, but I am back to almost dial-up usage. I pay bills too, and I get it...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I run an iPhone/iPad with unlimited. I don't run any adblockers and don't see the ad/vids these days. I have in the past though, it's annoying as hell.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pugs

IN his case, there is no picker tool on any ad-block on an Apple product since they do not have a built in code editor in the OS. In Safari on a desktop/laptop Mac you can select "never auto-play" on Safari settings and it goes away , but on an iPhone or iPad going to Brave as a browser is the only way I have found to kill it.

I'm running multiple ad blockers on all my platforms and they kill pretty much everything except that video.

iPhone/Safari w Adblock plus.

Have never seen the video. Very seldomly see any of the offending ads and pop ups.
🤷‍♀️

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I get my first 15 GB of data for $50 monthly. If I require more data it's $20 for every 3 GB that I add. That little ad will go through 3GB in a day or less. And it does this even though I don't ever see the ad.

Last edited by johnw; 05/01/21.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can yall’s Commodore64 take a picture of a check and deposit it into your bank account? 😃

Yep, sure can. smile

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And yeah...

It's pretty much the 'fire that uses big data for me. Using my own 15 GB of data I can still spend a couple of hours a day on Youtube, streaming at 480p, without any big or abnormal data usage.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My answer was to buy a boat. This may be Rick's plan to get some of us off the couch...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see it if I turn my phone horizontally, so I don’t. Lol

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It was not incorrect. What I found objectionable was your tone and your implication. The implication being "if you don't view the ads, you are cheating Rick of income." And the tone being one of castigation from a superior person.

Swifty and I are not best buddies, but you are no better than he is.

Interesting that you picked up on that tone. You must be tone deaf. The implication is that this is Rick's house. It costs him money. He has to pay for it somehow. He pays for it with ads. I don't like them, but I suffer them. It's inescapably part and parcel of social media.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,808
Posts18,496,405
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.