Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Depends on what you call collectable. Lots seem to be obsessed with acquiring every variation of pretty plain and common stuff. That’s a “collection” of non-collectables to me. Even some pretty nice ones like the Browning Miroku repros, may have some collector value if sufficiently virgin, but they’re just nice guns to me. If one falls into my hands, it’s getting dirty.

I know a somewhat well-to-do guy who fancies those Winchester 94 commemoratives from the 60’s on. They leave me cold. Different strokes.

I could give two fugks about a Winchester commemorative model 94

Yup. In addition to being, to my eyes, somewhat tacky-looking, they’re built on the worst of the 94 variants, post 64s with stamped parts, and whatever the Hell cheezy metal the receivers are made from. I’ll take an honest pre-64, one of the revised post-64s, or even one of the current Mirokus, safety and all. Miroku tweaked the action a bit for smoother running. Trigger pulls are heavy, I’ve read. The take-downs look dandy and use the original system, I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I inherited an unfired Colt Python which I haven't fired. Everything else is fair game to burn ammo. Someday, someone will just HAVE to HAVE that Python and that will be that.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Only the ignorant or very wealthy would pay top dollar for a rare unfired gun, and then go shoot it.

And, it seems a lot of people confuse a "nice gun with good looking wood," with "collectible."

JMHO

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shinbone
Only the ignorant or very wealthy would pay top dollar for a rare unfired gun, and then go shoot it.

JMHO

If it’s a true rare specimen I would agree. If there’s only a handful in existence or if it’s just super rare. If it’s say a Pre 64 Mod 70, though technically collectible I guess there are thousands of them I will shoot it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[ /quote]

If it’s a true rare specimen I would agree. If there’s only a handful in existence or if it’s just super rare. If it’s say a Pre 64 Mod 70, though technically collectible I guess there are thousands of them I will shoot it.
[/quote]

I sure do.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Geedubya, I've seen pictures. I doubt anything you own could be considered "plebian"!

I have an old Colt 1917 that was a gift from my team when I retired. Shooting it brings great joy and is a relief from shooting "Tupperware guns" all the time.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by geedubya
i figure I pretty much ruin the collector value of all my knives and firearms that might "qualify". But what the hey, I bought them to enjoy. Here is a thought. I can take my wife, kids and grandkids out for a fancy dinner that lasts a couple hours, or buy expensive libation or tobacco, which also is a consumable, or I can enjoy a firearm for an indeterminate length of time, and if purchased at a value, can usually let it follow someone else home, many times at a profit.

ya!

GWB

My thoughts exactly. I've gone through the NIB to nice to shoot phase with both rifles and shotguns. I recently bought a 50's vintage S&W M18 that's NIB. It was priced better than some others that were used. I'll shoot it take good care of it and enjoy it. The only guns that might not return a profit are the custom rifles. But thats going to be my estates problem not mine and at the end of the day it's all profit to them anyway.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IMNSHO....the more I pay for something, the more I should shoot it.

Now if only the wind and rain would give me a weekend to shoot LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 05/04/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot it. We are here for a very short time. It will be someone else's property soon.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
If a gun is too valuable to shoot, it's out of my price range and would never be in my "collection". All the guns in my collection get shot. Otherwise, I have no reason to collect them.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always wanted a NIB Jap Sweet 16 to beat the crap out of.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 16bore
Always wanted a NIB Jap Sweet 16 to beat the crap out of.

How about a Belgium Browning Sweet Sixteen.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I went with my dad to a gun shop in Baytown Texas in 1958 to pick it up. I was seven years old.

Only firearm that he ever bought as far as I know. Grew up shooting that shotgun. When I was 14 I had saved up enough money from mowing yards to have a "Poly-Choke" installed on the barrel, ignorant kid that I was. Can't believe he let me do that.

One of the ones that this "collector" will pass down.

and which I am still shooting.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
GWB I bought the same gun (no polychoke) in 1968 at the age of 16 used for $150. I had that for 50 years and let it go for $1500. Dumb adult!!

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Geedub strikes again! I don't know wether to cuss or admire you. You've got the nicest stuff. Maybe I should re-prioritize and start collecting.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I fixed up my late grandfather's Model 1901 10 gauge - made in early 1902. Have some shells for it and need to get out and shoot it. Hasn't been fired in probably 50-60 years.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And, it seems a lot of people confuse a "nice gun with good looking wood," with "collectible."

JMHO

Just curious how this would be "ignorant" and define wealthy? Guns are made to shoot, if you can afford it and you own it, let the lead fly if that's why you bought it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I would consider something like an original unfired engraved Colt revolver as a collectible and wouldn't fire it. Anything else is to be enjoyed.

I did that with a Colt .22 Diamondback in 1978. The gun had the 6" barrel and was supposed to be a limited edition. In or about 2001 I decided to shoot it and pass it on to my son. It shot like crap with 6" groups and I had to move the rear sight all the way to the right to get it on paper. I sent it to a "gunsmith" about 5 or 6 years ago and he cleaned out some lead from inside of the barrel and chamfered the muzzle. It did shoot better but not by much.

I had a friend in 1978 who bought a similar Diamondback as mine with the 6" barrel. His serial number was only a few thousand off from mine. He shot his right away and his shot like crap with 6" groups at 25 yards. He sent his back to Colt and they put a new barrel on it and turned his into a bullseye shooter. I should of taken that as a hint. Colt has only recently started making Diamondbacks but they were out of the revolver business for almost 40 years.

I recently found a new 6" barrel on GunBroker and bought it for $250 and I'm having Cylinder and Slide put it on the gun. As per the owner of Cylinder and Slide, he was fixing these revolvers for Colt back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. That is until Colt ran out of barrels. I can only hope that this barrel works and shoots like my 4" .22 Diamondback. I wonder just how many other 6" .22 Diamondbacks are out there with the same issue?

The moral of the story is simple: Shoot the dam thing and make sure it's good to go. To hell with saving them for the future. So far I have put $750 into the gun and the best I can get is a 5" group at 25 yards and I've owned it 43 years.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a 6 inch Diamondback off GI several years ago. IIRC I paid $900 for it. When I got it I swear to God it was unfired. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot it. It layed in the safe wrapped up in an oily rag and I finally sold it for a lot more than I had in it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 78CJ

JMHO

Just curious how this would be "ignorant" and define wealthy? Guns are made to shoot, if you can afford it and you own it, let the lead fly if that's why you bought it.

With this logic seems there would be a market for high quality reproductions that don't fire - then the "ignorant" and "wealthy" could have their show pieces to brag on?! Really it's only money and I haven't seen where firing a gun and taking care of it hurts the value that much down the road.....had a Winchester collector buy an 1873 Deluxe from a friend of mine that had been hunted and shot some over the last 100+ years but was still in 95% condition and he payed top dollar at the time. I am convinced there are a whole lot more people out there today that worship mammon a little more than they should.

PennDog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They are made to be shot.
Shoot em.

I don't have the means, but if I did and bought one of those true collectibles, I'd have it to the range on the very first nice day. I might not hunt it (no guarantees), but I'd definitely shoot it.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 51 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,646
Posts18,474,534
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.