Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
So then, Rings sorted and on hand (another matter I assure you).

Nit Pick these three rails, please. No guessing just the facts, PLEASE For a few bases, the cost not much of a factor but noted any way. I glass bed bases. Might just commit and epoxy bases to guns. Availability just now is good on all three.

(1) Leupold Back Country ............I have this on several rifles on my guns, fit is very close .I cannot get a sheet of paper under rear of base when front screws snug. No need to glass bed. (unusual in my experience) (medium $$)
(2) Weaver Tactical .....................No experience however the design includes a recoil boss that sounds like a good idea.Probably uses "Weaver" pan head screws, they work OK (east $)
(3 )DNZ ......................................Excellent one piece ring/mounts not much room for improvement. DNZ uses full size cap screws, (more surface area in the base recess,) Overall a more secure feeling than small head torx used by Leupold . (most $$$)

For use in Alaska, so steel bases not considered. Going on Weatherby Stainless Rifles

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weaver Tactical rail is an extremely good value for the money spent, and allows the user to maximize ring spacing. Screws are Torx head cap screws, IIRC.

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Seems to have an under lug that makes contact with the forward receiver ring to transfer recoil off of the screws.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If it all mates up right. It seems like with production tolerances the lug on the rail would need to be "file to fit" to get the right contact.

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Got them all on order will decide what I consider the best. Might even share what I discover, maybe not !

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have you ever checked out a Recknagle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you find a picture of the "recoil boss" or "under lug" on the Weaver? I think what you're seeing is just the extension on the front of the rail where it thins out from the contoured part of the rail that mates with the receiver. But maybe not. I've got them on Ruger Americans and 700 SA and don't see anything that would halt movement fore or aft on the rail itself. I'd rather they weren't extended but a hacksaw makes quick work of that. As Jordan said they come with Torx head screws. They function fine. As do the Leupold Backcountry rails.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should take a look at Murphy Precision. Stainless Steel or Titanium scope bases. And yes, he makes them for Weatherby's.

https://www.murphyprecision.com/

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by mathman
If it all mates up right. It seems like with production tolerances the lug on the rail would need to be "file to fit" to get the right contact.

Exactly, the chances of an underlug contacting the front face of the rear receiver ring precisely enough to mitigate some of the recoil is slim to none.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe we want contact at the rear face of the front receiver ring.

IC B3

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Found a You Tube how to showing the installer push the rail forward until the lug is contacting the receiver ring. Then he checks that the screws are lined up and proceeds to tighten the base screws....
Maybe someone knows a 12 year old who can do the link thing..
For such a cheap rail, it is the only one lugged for recoil. I ordered some so we shall soon know. Also ordered the DNZ because of the full size cap screws. Just installed one of their Tactical base ring one piece mount. DNZ uses big long ring screws, in fact, eight of them ! The DNZ ring sides are milled flat if you put a square to the ring base, the top leg of the square will provide a reference to turn the scope ...when the square lines up with the scope cap you are level to the base.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ken Farrell rails & rings & don't look back.

op,
400 series magnetic stainless will rust/corrode,since it has basically more chrome that chrome moly 4130 steels.

300 series non-magnetic stainless will NOT rust/corrode,but is NOT heat treatable & basically has more nickel added.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Stuck on aluminum. Some of my stainless guns have had areas of rust. Death and Taxes...or Rust, Death and Taxes?

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used EGW, Nightforce, and Weaver. I don't like that the EGW and Weaver were longer than the receiver, but I cut them. All performed the same and appeared to be a true 20 moa.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by mathman

Exactly, the chances of an underlug contacting the front face of the rear receiver ring precisely enough to mitigate some of the recoil is slim to none.

I just mounted a Badger Ordnance rail to a M700 and the recoil lug engages the front face of the receiver like a glove. Perhaps I just got lucky.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dans40X
Ken Farrell rails & rings & don't look back.

op,
400 series magnetic stainless will rust/corrode,since it has basically more chrome that chrome moly 4130 steels.

300 series non-magnetic stainless will NOT rust/corrode,but is NOT heat treatable & basically has more nickel added.

I wanted to purchase a KF rail, but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone or return an email, so Badger sold me a rail.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHunter

I believe that rails with recoil lug have slotted holes, so you slide the rail forward to make contact with the receiver.

That is the case with Seekins rails that I have owned but I have known people to bed the lug on other makes/models.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/04/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Uncas
DNZ uses full size cap screws, (more surface area in the base recess,) Overall a more secure feeling than small head torx used by Leupold . (most $$$)

I don't know what you mean by "full size cap screws", but are you thinking that the fastener head surface area that engages the counterbore of the base? With aluminum or steel, I don't see this being an issue unless the thru hole is oversized or the base material is compromised.

And bigger diameter fasteners are not always "better" due to insufficient bolt stretch.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used several of the Weaver rails and like them a lot. I did have one rail that I had to mill off just a hair of the lug in order to get the screws to line up. That was the only one I have had an issue with. I bed all my rails don't care who makes them. This is not to say the rails are not prefect but it is more about the receivers. Everything that is made has a tolerance on it, receivers, and rails included, I will not gamble that my stars will align perfect and my receiver and rail will be a perfect fit.
That said I went to several stores in the past few weeks looking around and could not find a Weaver tact. 700 L/A 20 MOA rail in stock but did find a Leupold so I bought it as it did look to be a nice quality looking rail. I have not mounted it yet but hope to in the next few weeks.
Never used or owned the DNZ mount.

One more note on the Weaver mount that I had to mill, I am not saying the mount was wrong, the holes could have been shifted a hair or the receiver off a hair. I don't know why it did not line up (could have been the tolerance thing I was talking about) but the mount was the easiest to modify.

Last edited by pullit; 05/05/21.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What model number of the Weaver rail has a lug and what does it fit? I'd like to try one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,546
Posts18,472,944
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.