Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine shoots Aquila as good as anything, std velocity stuff, cheap, I bought a lot of it before the shortages hit.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Try CCI standard velocity ammo. Or any other brand of standard velocity ammo.

You won't find any right now, but my bolt-action Mauser .22 loves Federal Gold Medal (standard velocity) and RWS Target Rifle (standard velocity).

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've tested loads in a few dozen .22s. One load comes out in the top 3 consistently. The rest vary a lot more with no real consistency. That load is the CCI mini mag hollowpoint .. not the solid. It isn't always first, but always in the top 3 in every gun tested so far. That's where I start.

Any time I go into a place that sells ammo, I check over their .22 LR supply. I'm generally not buying quantity, just picking up a box or two to put in my load testing box. If I have a gun that likes a particular load, then I try to stock up.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a CZ 452....most accurate off-the-shelf bolt action .22 rimfire I have ever owned.

It shoots most ammo pretty well but it shoots ELEY FORCE extremely well ( https://www.eleyammunition.com/eley-force-22lr/ ).

A close second accuracy-wise is the CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain solid point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About cleaning the bore...

If you try some of the more expensive subsonic ammo you will no doubt notice the really slick lube on the bullets. That lube is very important to accuracy. To illustrate: I have shot a good number of rounds of Wolf Match Target which has a very slick lube on it, followed immediately by far less expensive ammo with little to NO lube on the bullets. What I have seen is that the cheaper ammo will often shoot very tight while the seasoning, or lube remaining in the bore, persists. Then the cheap ammo will settle back into its mediocre accuracy performance after five or ten shots, depending.

That's just something to be aware of when testing ammo in rifles with good accuracy potential like the 541-T.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen, thanks for the tips. Is it quite obvious which bullets have lube and which one don't? I didn't know that some 22 ammo bullets are lubed so wasn't paying attention for that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rufous
Gentlemen, thanks for the tips. Is it quite obvious which bullets have lube and which one don't? I didn't know that some 22 ammo bullets are lubed so wasn't paying attention for that.

Yeah it will be obvious to you when you take the first round out of the box and it slides through your fingers onto the ground. grin

Seriously, almost all midprice and upperprice European ammo is quite slick.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. It is ALL lubed, some way or another. There is just a very wide range of differences in the various lubes used.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't clean the bore.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So even copper jacketed 22 ammo is lubed?

I did buy 2 of the 5 round magazines that are made by John Reed. They seem to be well made but would not feed one type of ammo I tried due to that ammo having a shorter case length.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine shoots very well with SK Standard Plus. Some of the truly premium brands (Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas etc.) might be better, but they are spendy and I haven't tried them in my 541T.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine did well with serval brands, SK, Wolf Match, Federal Target and others. I found standard velocity rounds were the most accurate. Depends on the use. Hunting or target.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we had these rifles in the arms room at the Armory there was always stacks of Remington target 22 ammo in the yellow and red box with them. At 20 yards in an indoor range I could put 3 rounds in the same hole. I didn't think that was too bad for a half blind skinny NG.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's actually just copper plated. There may be some kind of waxy lube or paraffin applied to some of it, or maybe not. I think in some cases the plating is considered TO BE the lube.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Lapua Midas+ and don’t look back.

A cheap one that does well is CCI standard (not high) velocity 22.

I don't know why we need to keep having this discussion.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Two CZ 452s and a 453 all like SK Rifle Match and Wolf MT quite a bit. But, when I want to get serious and shoot The Green Monster, I'll spend some more for Lapua Midas or RWS 50.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/05/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Lapua Midas+ and don’t look back.

A cheap one that does well is CCI standard (not high) velocity 22.

I don't know why we need to keep having this discussion.

Because people clean their ,22's bores.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well my most accurate 22 right now is a TC Contender carbine with the 23 inch "match" chambered barrel. It shoots very well with Winchester's Expert 36 gr. HP. I have in the past lubed my bullets with Crisco right over the wax and sometimes it seemed to make a positive difference with bulk ammo. And especially old ammo.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What conversation is it that we keep having???

I for one do not know everything about everything and am still trying to learn new things. Sorry if that bothers some of you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
rufous;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day went more than less according to plan and all in your life who matter are well.

While I'm cognizant you asked about a 541T, I'll suggest that in a lifetime of fooling with various rimfire rifles, tilting at a windmill whose goal is 10 shots into a dime sized hole at 50yds, I'll offer the following.

There are usually front runners in the accuracy department such as Eley, RWS and Federal Gold Medal Match - but in some rifles some ridiculously inexpensive stuff will equal or beat them. One never knows until one tries.

Here for instance was an initial test at 25yds - 10 shot groups - with a Tikka T1X.

[Linked Image]

Usually I've had better success with standard velocity as opposed to high speed or hyper speed ammo and as mentioned usually waxed or lubed lead will do better than copper... usually.

Again though, one never knows until one tries.

For me, precision shooting with a rimfire teaches me all sorts of things about my shooting form and I believe it's a fantastic training tool.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 43 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,358
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.