Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They were with you?

Call them on that crap!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might be cheap when it comes to buying things for myself, but you’ve gotta be a pretty bad waitress/waiter to not get a tip. I don’t eat out much or at crappy places so don’t mind tipping well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Riding on the coattails of the whole "age automatically gets you respect" thing.....

....and don't you forget it, whippersnapper!!! laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you ask a server who the worst tippers are next to blacks. It’s usually older people. They tend to order smaller or senior discount meals so as a percent it’s a smaller tip and they tend to hang around and tie up the table the longest. Between that and still thinking a dollar goes far on average they don’t tip well. A lot of times it’s the younger people and poorer people that know what it is to struggle and what a dollar is actually worth today that tip the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wait staff work pretty hard around here with the worker shortage, and I figure they deserve a good tip just for showing up. I even tip the take and bake pizza staff.

I’ve been poor, so I hate rich cheap people with a passion.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Couple of things

1. They are stuck in 1959 (“boy howdy, I made 50cents an hour at the lube rack and filling station when I dropped out in the 8th grade”)

2. They never had to wait on oxygen wasters like themselves that run a waitress around for 2 hours filling up a bottomless coffee cup

I see this at our local hardee’s (carl’s jr to you unchurched folks)

I go in there to catch a biscuit and cold drink and sit for a few minutes.

Table full of 80 years are in there every morning, could see them as I drove by the place on days I didnt go in. They never order thing to eat. They just get coffee, yuck it up, holler and make fools of themselves. One of them has this old Sea Hag wife that bring in some gallon size drum and fills it full of ice. Damn ice machine sounds like a slot machine for 5 minutes.

Just freeloaders

Aside, note: since covid, They are either croaked or are in hiding. Been right peaceful in there for my turn and burn visit.

Good f'in riddance.

If I am served a meal by a cheerful waitperson with a good attitude who gets me my food the way I ordered it, I just can't leave < $5. $5 is the bottom. Doesn't matter if the meal was $6.99. Plus, I worked in restaurants when I was a kid. So, I know the drill.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don’t get me started on the snowbirds in McAllen and the valley.

Apologies in advance to the snowbirds down there that do tip well.

Last edited by Heeler; 05/05/21. Reason: GD autocorrect

He went over yonder way
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a fishing guide, I get tips...sometime. I understand that not all people are the same when it comes to this.

When I eat out, I pay for the effort. A great server may get 100% and a poor one may get nothing.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just don't care to be around a cheapskate.

Life is good live it while you can.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ltppowell
As a fishing guide, I get tips...sometime. I understand that not all people are the same when it comes to this.

When I eat out, I pay for the effort. A great server may get 100% and a poor one may get nothing.

Yep. I had a whitetail hunt on "killer" property in Kansas. It was new in addition to the outfitters already owned property, thousands of acres. River bottom Arkansas River stuff. They gave me a schit guide and I left zero tip that I have never done in my guided hunts. Killer property sold just not yet sorted. They needed another year, at least...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Had a guy invited by a friend of mine to his lake house for three days of fishing, he brought one steak and two potatoes. He’ll forever be known as “Two tater Tommy”

That same type of dude will stare at a restaurant bill placed in the middle of the table by the waitress like it has fleas.

Alligator Arm people get called out for being white niqqers.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
What has been your experience with cheapskates?

My skates were always cheap, never lasted very long. The wheels would wear through in the middle.

My normal tip at the breakfast diner I frequent is $12, more than the cost of the plate. I have my preferred three waitresses. At Christmas I tip each of them $100.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My daughter is a waitress, we were talking about tips this evening in the car.
Old people are her worst. Run you ragged, today 2 of them left her $2.50 total.

Old people are also her favorite customers. The nice one have become
friends she cherishes seeing.

Tipping!
I
Hate
It!!!

Our country is one of few places in the world it's customary.
Why should I pay someone I didn't hire, didnt choose, can't fire?
The business needs to pay them, then manage them.
Not me!

A tip should be...A Tip.
You did an outstanding job, here is a SMALL token of my appreciation.
Not 20% of the damn meal.
And when did $10% become insufficient?

As a truck driver, tips really chapped my ass.
I did a good job. No tips.
But, I traveled 5+ days a week.
Any idea how dam much of my hard earned money I forked over,
for sometimes poor service. Felt I had to, its the system.

Then there were the AARP discounts the truckstops gave.
That was salt on the chapped ass.
Ma and Pa in their motor home going to their winterhome are
giving 10% off. Us dumb bastards out there working are paying the full tab.

I tip, it's the right thing to do.

PS. If you think a waitress doesn't make much,
Either it's a crappy place, she is a crappy server, or you are wrong.

I was blown away at what our school aged daughter was making at
a middling family resturaunt in our low income area.
Before The Hong Kong Flu.
It's not great now.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Selfish people always can rationalize not giving. Whether it be a tip, a donation or whatever cause. They just hold their treasures with a death grip. Not sure if it’s greed or fear, or maybe both. Kinda sad really. The love of money, and all that comes with it.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WMR
Selfish people always can rationalize not giving. Whether it be a tip, a donation or whatever cause. They just hold their treasures with a death grip. Not sure if it’s greed or fear, or maybe both. Kinda sad really. The love of money, and all that comes with it.

Well stated. I've had the same thoughts.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tip, moderately, so I guess I'm borderline 'cheapskate'.

I'm surprised nobody has left this here:

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They probably were thinking how stupid you are for throwing money away like that and that you'll certainly never be "well off " because of it. Likely a Joo in their family trees somewhere.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leaving a tip in South Korea is no go.. unless it’s right outside a military base. Them Koreans are Americanized

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Depends on the service. I don't tip at 7-11 if the only thing they do is run the cash register. Don't tip at the grocery store or other retail outlets. Seems everyone has a tip jar.

One big no-no in my book is chatting or texting with their friends while ignoring customers and treating you like they are interrupting their conversation. Doesn't matter if its a restaurant, yard work, or a trade. If you're on the clock, your customer gets priority over your friends (who shouldn't be there visiting anyway).

One tip I remember well was a girl at a Pizza Hut. It was full of customers. For whatever reason, they were short staffed and she was alone. She was greeter/ waitress/cashier/bus person....She flat busted her ass. Granted, we didn't get timely drink refills, nor much followup. We didn't care. Pizza was timely. My friends and I watched her in amazement. We each left $5. So it was a $30 tip. Minimum wage at the time was 2.35 an hour and we weren't making much either. She had tears in her eyes and a sincere "Thank You" because someone appreciated her work.

Didn't accept monetary tips at work. Did however get a plate full of fresh baked cookies from a nice customer because the persistent trouble with her phone line was actually fixed. Yeah, I didn't share. Most customers were so frustrated with the process of reporting trouble through automated systems. Having a real person to "tell their story" is important to them. I learned early that two minutes of listening, could often result in valuable information that saved me troubleshooting time.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by SandBilly
BOY HOWDY!! Lol, heard a lot of old timers say that, wonder where that came from?

They say that right after an SBD fart slips out.

You hear that, you better skedaddle

I use a 30 second delay, myself. Deniability, ya know?

My wife waitressed through college. 20% tip minimum is mandatory for so-so service. Some discretion advised, per Dess..

The fire station got 4 dozen home-made chocolate chip cookies after our rental unit fire.

Geez - you'd think no one had ever done that for them before....

Well, yeah, that was pretty cheap, considering.

Last edited by las; 05/06/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.