Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Dwayne, as always your experience is welcome. Thank you kindly and good evening. The quest continues.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rufous
What conversation is it that we keep having???

I for one do not know everything about everything and am still trying to learn new things. Sorry if that bothers some of you.

Sorry. No distespect intended, rufous. It's just, we've had so many comparisons and testing done and cci standard velocity continues to be the best performer at a price point. I know it has shot particularly well for me in my 2 most accurate rifles. CZ 452 American and a Tony Kidd 10/22. For that reason, i have stacked them deep.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eurotrash ammo is generally where you achieve .22 accuracy nirvana.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rufous;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope wherever on the globe you're at that it's looking to be a decent day and that all who matter to you are well.

Thanks for the kind reply, I appreciate it very much.

After a wee bit of digging I found this photo of the last really good rimfire range day I had, which was last year so that tells me I really need to stop yard duties, gardening and firewood cutting soon and get some shooting done again! grin

Here was the best groups from the two top shooters that day - a '58 CZ Brno No 5 with a 4X El Paso Weaver on it and the new Tikka T1X with a lower end Bushnell 4-16 AO on it.

[Linked Image]

Again these are 10 shot groups - not 5 - shot at 25 yards.

To me there's some interesting tidbits to take away here. The Punta Hueca was loaded by Winchester in the '80's for export to Argentina??? It's a 40gr HP at 1150fps, waxed lead.

In both rifles it's within a whisker of running with the VERY MUCH more costly match stuff. I'll note here too that in a newer RAR youth model we tested a different day, CCI Blaser from the '80's and '90's will run with the match stuff - again in that rifle.

The '58 CZ with it's ancient El Paso 4X should have been hampered by the ring in it's barrel and the ancient Texas glass, but we can see that the group it put in with the Eley Match Biathlon is pretty spiffy. cool

All that's to say once again that without testing, you just never know.

I've got a buddy in the Yukon who has both kids in Biathlon by the way, one good enough to represent Canada in the international northern games. We talk about what ammo rifles like and don't. They order sample packs from a supplier out east and see what each Anschutz prefers.

I'll end with a photo of the test day arms. I see one got sold since then too - that happens sometimes doesn't it?

All the best and again good luck and hopefully have fun!

L-R '58 CZ Brno No 5, '60's Lakefield Mk II, '80's 10/22 Money Pit, Tikka T1X, '70's 10/22, Cooey 75 Military Trainer - modified.
[Linked Image]

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've had good luck with Federal Auto Match and it doesn't break the bank.

But apart from that, I will also be trying those our esteemed Canadian friend, Dwayne shared.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RickyD;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's a fine one down in Iowa for you folks and all who matter to you are healthy.

The pickle we have in my section of the Great White North is that stuff like SK, Lapua, Sako - is never, ever seen.

We get to see some Eley and RWS once in awhile - but that comes from a buddy who travels for work and stops at sporting goods stores to pick up "interesting" .22 match ammo for his little bald friend.

I would love to try some of the "other stuff" I see you good folks south of the medicine line get to play with, but so far it's unobtanium up here.

Now given an open PO from the budget department, I'd order up a sample pack like my buddy in the Yukon does every spring for the Biathlon team. They order a sample from each new lot of ammo from the major match suppliers so the kids can run each lot, make notes and then they'll order.

He's part of the Biathlon club up there and part of his duties are ammo procurement. He told me the dollar figure annually and I just forget now what it is/was, but I do recall thinking it'd buy my 40th Anniversary Mustang rag top without batting an eye! eek laugh

The crazy thing to me is how good the ancient Winchester bound for South America shoots in several rifles. Luckily I have a few bricks, a chance pick up at a prairie gun show by a nephew who is very kind to his old uncle.

Thanks, all the best to you folks and good luck with your rimfire shooting quest.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
While I'm cognizant you asked about a 541T, I'll suggest that in a lifetime of fooling with various rimfire rifles, tilting at a windmill whose goal is 10 shots into a dime sized hole at 50yds, I'll offer the following.

Usually I've had better success with standard velocity as opposed to high speed or hyper speed ammo and as mentioned usually waxed or lubed lead will do better than copper... usually.

Again though, one never knows until one tries.

Dwayne,

A happy Friday-eve to you my friend. I agree with your assessment of subsonic is better but I see the one exception in your pic as well. When going out to 100 yards and beyond, the Federal hi-velocity match is really a surprise to me as how good it is and at 200 yards it was a solid 24" less drop.

These are 100 yard targets from my Martini MK-II international and you can see the Fed HV match 2nd row next to last on the left.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
at 50yds. the shooter that reads the breeze shoots the tight groups. as always, the shooter is the biggest variable. at my club we have 22 silhouette matches as well as 50 yd benchrest matches and the guys who are at the top not only use super expensive match ammo, but say that can't be depended on from one lot to another.

most of these rifles are sophisticated and all that, but the wind still rules.

i have a 541t sporter bbl as well as a 581s. i have had other variations in the past. these are the best 22s for the money. you won't ever sell it, i'm sure.

btw, my 541 likes fed match and rem golden hp.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wahoo
at 50yds. the shooter that reads the breeze shoots the tight groups. as always, the shooter is the biggest variable. at my club we have 22 silhouette matches as well as 50 yd benchrest matches and the guys who are at the top not only use super expensive match ammo, but say that can't be depended on from one lot to another.

Yes, places like http://www.champchoice.com/ will let you buy some boxes and hold some back so if it works well you can get more of the same lot. I have an order inbound from them tomorrow that includes five bricks of SK Pistol Match (as well as five bricks of SK Standard plus that shoots well enough for my silhouette AA classification out of the Anschutz for my purposes.)

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pugs:
Good morning to you my cyber friend, thanks for the reply and I hope all is as well as can possibly be for you all.

My goodness that's a fine, FINE group that Martini placed sir! cool

You're absolutely correct in that there's always exceptions and almost "no rules" as to what .22 rimfires are going to love or not.

For instance in the one photo I put up, I had some Imperial .22 ammo from the '80's that I'd picked up a brick of from an estate. I'll add it was pretty much all we could buy in rural Saskatchewan back in the day, so that's what we shot gophers and all else that .22's got pointed at with and thought it was at very least "okay". As it turned out, nothing in the safe really shot well with it, so it went to a buddy who had a rifle that at least didn't mind it so much.

Now to be sure sir, I was not even remotely educated on .22 rimfire accuracy until we'd moved to BC and another chap and I were running the center fire portion of the gun club's annual turkey shoot. This "little old guy" was running the rimfire portion and as we were both early, he pulled out a bull barrel Anschutz single shot bolt rifle - sorry not sure which one - had a Biathlon/target stock with a vertical grip and flat fore end - but also an El Paso Weaver 16X Target scope with a very small dot reticle.

He let me shoot it at 50yds to see if it was sighted in - which it was and I was gob smacked at how well it shot. Somehow I must have passed some test in his mind, because he chuckled then, went to his car and brought out a box of Eley Match.

"Try these now son" was all he said..... wink

While I can't say that the clouds parted and doves hovered about me Pugs, it was as close to a ballistic related epiphany as I've ever experienced! laugh laugh

From that day forward until now, I've been chasing that elusive 10 shots into one ragged hole - like the Brno No 5 did at 25yds - but I want to do it at 50yds. Oh, I wish it to be in a repeater too Pugs, so that leaves out fine arms like your Martini and single shot bolt guns like my now long gone rimfire mentor had.

Lastly, as my good wife points out more and more often, I now have become that "little old guy" who drags interesting stuff out of his rig at the range. Funny how the twists and turns of life take us back to where we've started sometimes, you know?

Thanks for the photo and adding to a fine thread sir.

While I've handled a couple Martini .22's over the years, I can't recall shooting one, but was always impressed at the build quality of the ones I saw.

All the very best to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/06/21. Reason: added info?

IC B3

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Good afternoon Dwayne,
All seems to be going great in BC for you.
Like you, I'm always looking for the Holy Grail of rimfire accuracy without costing an arm and a leg.
Hence the reason CCI of any sort is not in my ammo box. Recently because of all the hoopla over how
well it shoots I bought some CCI SV to try out again. Unfortunately my rifles showed it to be mediocre, ie Minute of Berm.
A while back I decided to shoot a 50 rd box at a target just to see how well they would do. My first mistake was centering on the
bullseye and after 10 rounds I had to guess at the center. I ended up shooting 45 rounds but I can't remember if they were RWS Subsonic or
Norma Subsonic. The rifle was a Kimber HS in a Varmint stock with a 6X scope. That target is below.

On another day when proving a point to someone, I cleaned the barrel of a custom Rem. and a Sako Quad. I shot 5 rounds per target of Wolf MT and compared the 2 rifles. The Sako was wearing an 8-24 scope and the Rem. a 6X. That scope power of course was the issue. Like the target above, these were shot at 50yds.
Below is that target. This type of grouping is what I expect out of my rimfires at 50yds. Anything other than that is not of any interest to me.

So I certainly understand your chasing the elusive 10 rounds in a ragged hole at 50yds...............with a repeater, and I should add, a Sporter weight.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm embarrased to say, I have yet to shoot my 541 sporter. Found it on a used rack and its been in the safe ever since.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
All that's to say once again that without testing, you just never know.

Yep, I have many .22s and I often settle for "good enough" when it comes to accuracy vs. price vs. availability "in these troubling times". Alas, some stuff that is in ye olde test pile has been discontinued or the price is so high it has to be for special purposes. Gnoahhh and I have been shooting these matches https://www.tcandsc.org/disciplines/schutzen/48-schutzen-information and given there are only three a year it's worth breaking into the good stuff as opposed to the monthly silhouette matches where @ 3000+ rounds for the season I tend to be a bit cheaper.

But the stash of test ammo awaits any new .22 grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m blessed by being only slightly loony. 😂

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I’m blessed by being only slightly loony. 😂

I can quit anytime I want. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have only 4 brands in stock. CCI SV and CB Shorts. WW Power Point, Wolf MT and SK Standard +. Why?

My 10/22 is retarded.

And I roll my own now and then.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K22;
Good afternoon or possibly evening to you sir, I hope all is as well as can be down in your part of western North Carolina.

Thanks for the addition to a very fine thread - well it suits me at any rate sir. wink

I'm heartened to see I'm not the only soul who's saddled up and tilted at a windmill from time to time.

While I'd known a few of my cyber friends like Digital Dan were of that persuasion, again I'm happy to see the number is greater than I'd suspected initially.

Thanks for showing both groups - that's really interesting shooting the entire box actually - well again I think it is. grin

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Thank you Dwayne,
It is evening here and it has been a grand day.
Shooting a whole box, a box I randomly chose, would tell the tale of the rifles accuracy along with the ammo chosen. I've done that with a different ammo and the results were very close to the same, even when using a different rifle.
The saying; "only accurate rifles are interesting", is a saying I believe in, along with, "perfect practice makes perfect".
The unfortunate hold back for me these days is the eyes. It seems age is not always kind to the eyes and makes shooting tiny groups much more difficult nowdays. Scopes that were crystal clear in the past are not so crystal clear anymore. But, I do endeavor to persevere as
the saying goes.

I very much enjoyed your posts on this subject as I do every post you make.

All the best to sir.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have shot a substantial amount of subsonic ammo through my 541T squirrel hunting. The RWS subsonic, Eley tenet and the Aguilla SSS all shot very small groups. I really like the Aguilla SSS as it’s very quiet and the bullet is extra heavy. I’ve had a hard time finding them recently and shoot the RWS subs

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just looked and Natchez has SK pistol match for sale. I think I should start beating my 22 ammo stockpile down.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,046 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,614
Posts18,532,941
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.