Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago I saw one of those displays of cut open oil filters. A friend told me how Fram, a highly trusted brand, had cheapened their products to the point that they were no longer trustworthy.
The Old story of a company getting to the top, then allowing their competitors to catch and surpass them in the name of profits.
Long story short, I’ve been using Wix filters in everything for 35 years now.
But recently a problem arose. I bought a used 2010 Ranger in February.
I stopped in the parts store and grabbed a filter and oil, but when I tried to put the new filter on, It wouldn’t thread. Comparing the two, I saw the old one had a slightly larger diameter thread. I stuck the old one back on, figuring they’d given me the wrong filter.
As a precaution, I took the old one off and took Wifey’s car to get a new one. The new Wix again looked different, so they pulled out a Delco, which matched. The Delco went right on.
I’m wondering if maybe Wix’s tooling Maybe got messed up so the new ones for that model don’t work? Anybody else ever experienced something similar?
I learned as a teenager to always stake tho Old one along to compare, so you know the new one will work.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've always been well served by Wix filters. They make so many different filters I guess it's inevitable that a part number will get mixed up in a catalog or something like that and the listed filter doesn't fit. I wouldn't get too upset about it, things happen.

Fram won't touch my vehicles, even the top of the line ones that guys say are good quality. Years ago their filters destroyed some cummins diesel engines because they were so cheaply constructed that they came apart and clogged the engines internal oil passages. That's taking cheap too far and I haven't trusted them since those episodes.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Wix was the go to for across the board quality twenty years ago. Now different brands differ in quality within the lines.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only had 1 wix come apart on me. 24 years as a hd mechanic. I'll use them.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wix is a good filter

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There are many "name brand" filters out there that are actually made by Wix. I was a diesel mech for years and I learned that Wix is as good as anybody and better than most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wix or Napa Gold (which is a Wix). Buy them in bulk when they are on sale

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Motorcraft is recommended by Ford

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I try to use Wix or NAPA Platinum which is made by Wix. Never had any trouble with thread size. My new GMC 4wd started calling for an oil change in Montana last year when we were at West Yellowstone. The girl at the NAPA store there sold me the filter for the 2020 Ford small V8, which I didn't discover until 2 days later after I had installed it in a motel back parking lot in Hardin MT. The thread and the gasket matched up so I called my local NAPA man and he said there was no reason it wouldn't work. It stayed on for the next 7000 miles. Mobil 1 seems to be a good filter. Fram is highly advertised but there are plenty of bad reports about Fram out there. I heard a radio ad the other day that Fram now has Fram branded oil.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to be Fram, then I saw what was probably the same
display 7mm saw.

Used to work in a local garage, they used Lee filters for their changes.
I swear some of them were empty containers, way too light.
And they sourced them for around 80 cents, when our cost
for better ones was 2-3 dollars.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My hoopties ain’t fussy, I only change oil about every 10,000-15,000 miles. They are glad to get any filter.

Some, I never change the filter in. The ones that leak a qt of oil every week, they are GTG.

My bro in law changes his oil every 3000 miles. Anal whiner. Cancelled a kayaking trip “cause he needed to change his oil” JFC laugh

I’ll say 14 pages

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Years ago their filters destroyed some cummins diesel engines because they were so cheaply constructed that they came apart and clogged the engines internal oil passages. That's taking cheap too far and I haven't trusted them since those episodes.

Wix had the same problem back in the 70's. A lot of engine failures due to their filters coming apart. I have always avoided anything with the Wix name on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always been well served by Wix filters. They make so many different filters I guess it's inevitable that a part number will get mixed up in a catalog or something like that and the listed filter doesn't fit. I wouldn't get too upset about it, things happen.

Fram won't touch my vehicles, even the top of the line ones that guys say are good quality. Years ago their filters destroyed some cummins diesel engines because they were so cheaply constructed that they came apart and clogged the engines internal oil passages. That's taking cheap too far and I haven't trusted them since those episodes.

This^^^ Frams were cheapened back in the '60's

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cuznguido
There are many "name brand" filters out there that are actually made by Wix. I was a diesel mech for years and I learned that Wix is as good as anybody and better than most.

Many moons ago I did my toolmaker apprenticeship at a local machine building company. One of our customers was A-C Delco. We built the machines that fold the paper element that goes inside oil, gas and air filters along with paint lines that painted the oil filter containers. A-C would have paint booths that were dedicated to only A-C filters, in other booths they'd change the color of the paint to satisfy other filter brands.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We use a lot of Baldwin filters on most of our equipment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wix is frowned upon in Ford 6.0 circles, because it is different and requires a different cap that leads to confusion when going back to OEM filter. But Ford 6.0 guys are abreast considered weirdos anyway. Otherwise have sweats heard great things on Wix.

Dads, then mine, 88 Toyota saw 90% Fram And Dino oil. 300k we know if, but likely 400k after selling it to a guy in town.

I’ve got a 2001 Civic with 300k. The last 200k have been Fram
And Dino oil.

Of course our good vehicles i run good oil and good filters. Not sure why though...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I’m wondering if maybe Wix’s tooling Maybe got messed up so the new ones for that model don’t work?
7mm

I would imagine the wrong bottom plate was put on a run of filters.

I only use Wix or Mobil 1 filters.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJL53
Years ago their filters destroyed some cummins diesel engines because they were so cheaply constructed that they came apart and clogged the engines internal oil passages. That's taking cheap too far and I haven't trusted them since those episodes.

Wix had the same problem back in the 70's. A lot of engine failures due to their filters coming apart. I have always avoided anything with the Wix name on it.

Uhh....I believe the poster was referring Frams

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Esox357
Motorcraft is recommended by Ford

Ford recommends a Ford filter?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well....they did sell to Mann Hummell a few years ago.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 20 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.