-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was a young boy I had an Insatiable appetite for reading, anything from the encyclopedia to sci-fi. I can't think of any that "Changed" my life but there where many that influenced it one way of another.

Still to this day I can remember that The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov was some of my favorites. when the TRS80 came along books went to the wayside, then came girls and the IBM PC.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by kingston
The Encyclopedia Britannica.

^^^^^ Rich Kid ^^^^^

laugh

The encyclopedia's were twenty-some year old hand-me-downs. I remember when my parents brought them home. They were exalted and lived on a green shelf adjacent to the wall where our heights were recorded. Many of the maps were about useless with all the 20th Century's geopolitical unrest. I couldn't imagine growing up with the internet. That said, I miss real academic libraries, which there's still no widely available alternative to.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Me it was "My Side of the Mountain" and a set of old encyclopedias that a neighbor gave me.

Read My Side probably a half dozen times and lit a fire for the outdoors I still have,

The encyclopedias sparked an interest in knowledge that lead to a career in high tech. Used to just open a random page on a volume and start reading. So much so that a friend's father called me "and encyclopedia of useless knowledge".

Did you have a strange desire to run away from home and try to live off eating algae?

Too bad they had to make the hunters the bad guys in it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Today (or at least when our kids were in school) they had AR (assigned reading)

They had to read so many books in order to achieve a passing grade and get a "prize." The more difficult the book, the bigger the POS prize was.

Out of four intelligent, hard working kids, not ONE will pick up a book to read today.

They absolutely hate reading because of that schidt.

That's interesting. My daughter was in the same program and she won the award for her grade school for reading the most books and she is still a voracious reader today, but I can also see how it could turn a kid off. They need to learn to love reading for its own intrinsic worth.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
A few others I enjoyed: Old Yeller, Savage Sam, Bob, Son of Battle, Silver Chief, Call of the Wild, Where the Red Fern Grows, Tom Sawyer (which is now banned in many schools). I always looked forward to Boys Life coming in the mail and all the gun mags....Sports Afield, Field and Stream, Outdoor Life.

Tarquin
IC B2

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA

Did you have a strange desire to run away from home and try to live off eating algae?

Constant. 'Cept the algae part.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The Encyclopedia Britannica.

^^^^^ Rich Kid ^^^^^

laugh

The encyclopedia's were twenty-some year old hand-me-downs. I remember when my parents brought them home. They were exalted and lived on a green shelf adjacent to the wall where our heights were recorded. Many of the maps were about useless with all the 20th Century's geopolitical unrest. I couldn't imagine growing up with the internet. That said, I miss real academic libraries, which there's still no widely available alternative to.

I lost a weekend call in trivia contest because apparently.....the flag of Vietnam had changed since our encyclopedias were published in the 50's.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by hanco
Playboy

Chase Olson brought a Playboy to school when we were in the 3rd grade.

Sounds like my kind of pal.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The first books I remember reading as a kid were the Time Life Series about cowboys, gunfighters, indian chiefs, railroads, etc. that my grandparents had.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Paddle to the Sea

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Playboy

It was a fairly life changing event.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Playboy

That'll taint you for sure.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Playboy

That'll taint you for sure.

Well....I had a fairly steady tobacco habit by then.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Das Kapital and Mein Kampf for me.

But Where the Red Fern Grows was the first one that came to mind. I wonder if that's been banned from schools cause it uses the word "coon" a lot and undermines the notion of white privilege.

These days, I tend to read books that I should have paid attention to in school, like the Federalist Papers. I couldn't get through that stuff as a kid, it seemed so boring and obtuse, but between the Federalist and AntiFederalist Papers, you can pretty much see how we were supposed to be as a country and how far we've strayed.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am an avid reader to this day and it all started when I read "The Call Of The Wild", up until then I only read because I had to, but this one time in the school library the librarian made us all pick out a book, I picked up Call of the Wild because I liked the cover art. She noticed I wasn't really reading it so she came over and made me start reading to her. I've been hooked on reading ever since! I was 8 years old.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Slaughterhouse-Five. My mom was a hardcore bookworm, and was constantly pushing my reading level. I don’t recall understanding any of it, but I was hooked.

Lyle, Lyle Crocodile and Flat Stanley had significant impact as well.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls
2. The Jungle - Upton Sinclair
3. The Hunting Rifle - Jack O'Connor
4. See Jane Strip - unknown

GR

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
The Little Engine That Could

That was the one for me also. A perfect example of how anything can be accomplished with the right mindset - a great life lesson in a kids book. The lesson has stuck with me to this day - that and my mother's saying "can't never did anything".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
When i was young and staying on Grandads farm without plumbing, Sears Roebuck.

Had some nice pics too.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Old Yeller
Born Free
AVALANCHE!
Where the Wild Things Are
Watership Down
Stranger in a Strange Land
Where the Red Fern Grows
Peach Boy
Webster's Dictionary and Encyclopedia Brittannica

Unfortunately, TV has reduced Watership Down to a kids' story instead of what the book is - a comparison of systems of government. That's the problem with so many books that end up on the screen. They change them so much that they're unrecognizable and usually the author's intent is gone.

'True meaning' of Watership Down revealed ahead of TV revival

Readers thought story was cryptic allegory, but its creator was firm: ‘It’s just a story about rabbits’

The new version of Watership Down. The original book’s author Richard Adams came up with the story to keep his daughters happy on a long car journey. Photograph: BBC

Mark Brown Arts correspondent

Mon 10 Dec 2018 01.00 EST

Last modified on Wed 1 Jul 2020 12.49 EDT

It has been endlessly picked apart and analysed and described as an allegory for both communism and Christianity but the daughters of Richard Adams have revealed the true meaning of Watership Down. “It’s just a story about rabbits.”

Rosamond and Juliet, to whom the story was first told to keep them quiet in the car, have spoken ahead of a two-part animation to be shown on BBC1 over Christmas.

The 1978 animated version of Watership Down holds a particular place in the cultural psyche of an entire generation. Everyone remembers the hopelessly sentimental Art Garfunkel theme song. Many will never forget the trauma of witnessing big-eyed bunny rabbits being mercilessly and bloodily slain.

In an interview published in the Radio Times Christmas edition, Adams’s daughters explain how the book, first published when their father was a civil servant in his mid-50s, came into being.

They also address the multiple theories about the true message of Watership Down. “Honestly, the stuff we got through the post from fans about what they think the book is about,” said Rosamond.

Richard Adams pictured in 1974 holding a pet mouse. Photograph: Express/Getty Images

“‘Is Woundwort an allegory of Stalin?’ ‘Is Hazel Jesus Christ?’ It shows that people really connect with the story, they really think hard about it, but it cut no ice with Dad. ‘Rubbish!’ he always said. ‘It’s just a story about rabbits.’”

They recall being six and eight in the mid-60s and on a long car journey to the theatre from London to Stratford-upon-Avon. They pestered their dad for a story and then came: “Once upon a time there were two rabbits called Hazel and Fiver …”

Persuaded by his daughters to put pen to paper, Adams’s book was published in 1972 and won the Carnegie medal and the Guardian children’s book prize.

The 1978 animation, featuring the voices of John Hurt and Richard Briers, was scarringly graphic.

Rightly so, said the daughters. “Daddy didn’t like the way people babied, and pandered to and ‘icky-ised’ children, lying to them about death and so on,” said Juliet. “We’re destroying the environment and endangering all the animals – I think it would be strange to ignore that.”

Producers have suggested the new version, a BBC/Netflix co-production, will be less violent. There will also be more comedy and more prominent female characters.

Nicholas Hoult, who voices Fiver, has predicted people will watch it and cry. “I remember me and (director) Noam (Murro) both crying when we were doing the last scene. We were both hugging as we were crying. I did the take probably 450 times and I cried every single time. I defy anyone not to cry.”

Other voices include Gemma Arterton, Anne-Marie Duff, John Boyega, James McAvoy and Olivia Colman. Sam Smith has recorded a song called Fire On Fire with the BBC Concert Orchestra. The programme will be shown on Saturday 22 December and Sunday 23 December.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.