Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Gentlemen:

I thought I'd stick this here as well as the optics forum: Will the bolt handle of a LA M70 (BACO) clear the ocular of a 4x33 (Leupold) mounted in super-low DD rings? Also, will I need an extended front base?

Thanks, as always.

RM

Last edited by RevMike; 03/31/21. Reason: Clarify Scope

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rev, I don't know myself as I don't have any 4X's on a FN 70, but maybe order up a couple combos and return what doesn't work for you? Midway is pretty good at returning things and fairly quick.

I'd almost put a dollar the scope is small enough to clear the super lows, but I think you'll need some sore of extended base. I have to use Burris 2 piece bases in order to get PRW's or similar onto the gun.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The ocular of what scope?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Yeah, that'd be helpful! Leupold. (fixed it on the original post. Thanks).

Last edited by RevMike; 03/31/21. Reason: Clarify Scope

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That’s a P64 but it kinda gives you an idea of ring spacing on the scope. I’m not sure if I could go to much lower with it, but I’ll be swapping that scope for this year anyhow.

Semper Fi
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RevMike

Yeah, that'd be helpful! Leupold. (fixed it on the original post. Thanks).

It will clear.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
Rev, I don't know myself as I don't have any 4X's on a FN 70, but maybe order up a couple combos and return what doesn't work for you? Midway is pretty good at returning things and fairly quick.

I'd almost put a dollar the scope is small enough to clear the super lows, but I think you'll need some sore of extended base. I have to use Burris 2 piece bases in order to get PRW's or similar onto the gun.

I'm thinking it might too. Uncle Joe stimulated me last week and my BIL has a M70 Super Grade Featherweight (one of the Cabela specials) that has about 40 rounds through it, with a 2.5-8x (with Alumina covers) sitting on top. That and several boxes of ammo, all for one Benjamin more. I'm thinking I might pick it up, put a gloss Leupold 4x33 on it with DD mounts, and have a pretty slick little rifle. The Leupold lows on my own Featherweight work well, but I can still snug down a bit more on the comb, so I'm thinking that the super lows might be the ticket, but not if the bolt handle won't clear.

Last edited by RevMike; 03/31/21. Reason: Spelling

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that sounds like a BEAUTY. I wished I’d snagged one of those when they were kicking around. Can’t wait to see a picture of it.

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
It will clear.

grin grin grin

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, that sounds like a BEAUTY. I wished I’d snagged one of those when they were kicking around. Can’t wait to see a picture of it.

Thanks. We will see what the Easter Bunny brings.

IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the pictures. That's an extended front, right?

BTW, I wish I'd have bought three or four more of those 4x Leupolds.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s the 2 slotted Warne or Burris base Rev. I can’t remember which.

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks. I have the Warne base on a couple of different rifles that wear QD rings. They work, as do the regular Weaver. Thanks again.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is DD lows and a 3.5-10x40 on a BACO M70
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Here is DD lows and a 6x36 on a BACO M70
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I had a 4x33 with the same bases/rings on a FWT in 30-06. It fits with just enough tube for me to get proper eye relief. I tend to have my scopes fairly far forward.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks. I'll check the mounting length of that 3.5-10x vs the 4x33. That too is a helpful picture.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ah, now I see the 6x. Thanks.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A Classic with a 6X36 in super lows.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
A Classic with a 6X36 in super lows.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's the rifle I'm planning to put the 4x on. I'm torn between the DD super lows or Conetrol lows. I'll figure it out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That is a nice looking piece of wood Mike. Very nice.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,160
Posts18,484,333
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.