Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by Calhoun
A couple of rust areas down low behind the doors (another common thing on F150 super crew cabs), but I think she's good for a while. Oil got changed frequently by mileage... but not necessarily by date, given that I only averaged 3500 miles a year with it. But can't speak to the 100,000 miles it had on it when I bought it in 2008. It was clean, but no maintenance records came with it. So it's a crap shoot for the cam phasers.

Cam phasers will probably run you about $3500 parts and labor. That should include new cam phasers, new phaser solenoids, timing chain, timing chain tensioners and guides at a minimum. It's possible there will be some additional parts they find that are worn and should be replaced. It's a known, well-documented issue with the 5.4 3V engines.

I just had this done on my '10 (currently ~150k miles) and in addition to the phasers, solenoids and timing chains/guides/tensioners I had to have an exhaust manifold replaced (leaked, ended up with a broken stud in the cyl. head) and a few roller rockers replaced. It was not cheap, but talking with the shop owner, who I trust a great deal, he advised that similar repairs on newer vehicles were far more costly and not any more infrequent. He also said that once repaired, it should be no issue to get another 100k-150k without issue from the 5.4. I contemplated a new truck, but I couldn't justify spending $50000 on a new one versus $5k to repair my existing one which is in otherwise great shape.

Was the 4.6 known for cam phaser issues?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
A couple of rust areas down low behind the doors (another common thing on F150 super crew cabs), but I think she's good for a while. Oil got changed frequently by mileage... but not necessarily by date, given that I only averaged 3500 miles a year with it. But can't speak to the 100,000 miles it had on it when I bought it in 2008. It was clean, but no maintenance records came with it. So it's a crap shoot for the cam phasers.

Cam phasers will probably run you about $3500 parts and labor. That should include new cam phasers, new phaser solenoids, timing chain, timing chain tensioners and guides at a minimum. It's possible there will be some additional parts they find that are worn and should be replaced. It's a known, well-documented issue with the 5.4 3V engines.

I just had this done on my '10 (currently ~150k miles) and in addition to the phasers, solenoids and timing chains/guides/tensioners I had to have an exhaust manifold replaced (leaked, ended up with a broken stud in the cyl. head) and a few roller rockers replaced. It was not cheap, but talking with the shop owner, who I trust a great deal, he advised that similar repairs on newer vehicles were far more costly and not any more infrequent. He also said that once repaired, it should be no issue to get another 100k-150k without issue from the 5.4. I contemplated a new truck, but I couldn't justify spending $50000 on a new one versus $5k to repair my existing one which is in otherwise great shape.

Was the 4.6 known for cam phaser issues?

Depends on the variant. The 2V 4.6 (and 2V 5.4) don’t have cam phasers, 3V variants do.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Spoke to a guy the other day and his monthly truck payment is $620. I can not imagine making that kind of payment every month.

That's nothing these days. 700-1k car payment is becoming the norm. Either he only financed 35kish for 60 months or he stretched 50kish out to 84 months which seems to be the new norm for folks that dont need to be spending that kind of money. Blows my mind.

To quote Dave Ramsey: “The worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor.”

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Montana MOFO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
T, that is WAY too broad a brushstroke.
Buying new can and does work very well when the purchaser has a solid plan.

That plan is not made in the sales manager's office.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We do assume a lot about others when we see them in these new vehicles, we dont know their financial circumstance for 99 out of 100 of them. 620 may be well within his means. And if folks want to leave this world with no money left, whats wrong with them enjoying it or spending it on others while they spent their time on Earth. Cant take it with ya.

You may be right to a point. But there are a ton of people that I see and know enough about them to know that they are financed to the hilt for their new vehicles. An example would be pulling into the school parking lot for a game or function and I see brand new cars/trucks driven by people I know.

I just bought a new-to-me pulling truck as a backup. And to see what new ton or bigger pickups are costing, it is mind-blowing, $85 - $92k. Consequently, used truck prices are unreal also.

Only way I will buy new is if I am forced because of a breakdown on a truck for work and I gotta have a replacement or if taxes may force the issue.

Last edited by Tarkio; 05/13/21.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WTM45

Only time is if it works in the purchaser's financial/tax-planning.

If a person can afford, I think it's awesome.

I just cringe when I see people financing vehicles for 7 years. Depreciation eats most of these peoples' lunch immediately.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I have a 6.4L Ram. The engine was certified with 5w-30 oil. Shortly after release corporate changed to 0w-40 full syn oil. I am not certain why they did that but, I know it was for reason. The 0w-40 full syn is very costly and hard to find. The only sources I know of is internet and dealer. There was an oil filter design change also. The 0w-40 is the best oil I have ever used. The only problem is the 0w-40 is twice the price of normal oil. The Euro market uses a 0w-40 full syn of a different specification. FCA recommends against the use of the Euro standard.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
T, could you not say that regarding any capital purchase? Or investment in goods?

Only those who have no financial knowledge get fleeced. But everyone pays something in the end. Buying a new capital good is not the "wrong" choice, it is but an option. Even used can get a purchaser in trouble, and I'd bet more people get screwed when shopping in that market. That's where some REAL dandy financial choices can be found.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
T, could you not say that regarding any capital purchase? Or investment?

Only those who have no financial knowledge get fleeced. Buying a new capital good is not the "wrong" choice, it is but an option. Even used can get a purchaser in trouble, and I'd bet more people get screwed when shopping in that market. That's where some REAL dandy financial choices can be found.

Now see, you are trying to inject reality and facts into a situation that they have no business being in.

In all reality, there are definitely times buying new is smart, ie, makes financial sense etc. And most of those are business purchases made by business owners or managers.

But the discussion here, and most of them here, center on purchases for basic daily use to and from work, recreation etc. In the case of an individual buying in those situations, there is money to be saved buying used. But, it is a personal decision and, as such, good and bad decisions both are going to be made. No doubt mistakes can be made and money lost buying used as well.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Only time is if it works in the purchaser's financial/tax-planning.

If a person can afford, I think it's awesome.

I just cringe when I see people financing vehicles for 7 years. Depreciation eats most of these peoples' lunch immediately.

I buy new for my company truck and take advantage of commercial discounts and low interest rates. I also never finance past 5 years. Remember, you can always add extra payments to pay it off earlier.

I also cringe when I see folks take long loans, especially on older vehicles. I had a contractor doing some work for me, he had bought a dually welding truck and was paying 6 years at 25% interest!
It's amazing how many of today's younger folks that don't have a clue about managing their credit rating. They just have to have something and will sign up for whatever it takes to get it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

For clarification, based on the OP, I would strongly suggest used is a better option as far as cost-savings.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My last 15 new trucks were all leases. If I could sell it before the end of term I could order a new one earlier. I never had any problems selling the trucks, just order top of the line vehicles.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Now see, you are trying to inject reality and facts into a situation that they have no business being in.

Why would I do that? wink

As I see it, it is not as much a decision of new vs. used, it is a decision on financing and payment.
That's where the homework and due diligence is to be done before the shopping starts.
Some folks simply wait until they have no choice but to buy today, or find themselves walking. Old Bus #11!
Some businesses do the same. Big mistake.

When the $ work out right for either the individual or company beforehand, and a budget is set and caps are in place, the choice of buying new does carry some great incentives such as greater warranty, control of services maintenance records going forward and in most cases a security of solid functionality without downtime losses for a longer period of time.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Have you priced used trucks lately?

Folks are selling their used trucks for more than they paid for them new now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Now is not the time to buy a new truck! A buddy got quoted $70k on a new outdated Tundra TRD in Denver a few days ago, $70k for a Tundra……..are you F’ing kidding me?

And another point.. a lot of the used trucks are near the MSRP of new ones. We drove through the lot where we've bought a number of used vehicles at very good deals, and all they have are high mileage and high prices on trucks.

Originally Posted by T_O_M
The only advice I can offer is "keep looking". Be willing to walk away if you don't like the price. And in the mean time, keep up on your maintenance 'cause you may have to drive the thing you've got longer than you plan.

Kept up the maintenance, always do. But never knew about the cam phaser problems on Ford F150's 5.4L engines. Hard to maintain something you don't know is broke. Choice on the old truck is to throw a couple thousand at trying to fix the cam phasers and HOPE that the engine isn't actually ruined.. or replace the entire engine. Which is an option, just not one I prefer.

I almost never purchase from a dealer.

I did buy a used car for my daughter about a month ago from a dealer. But the vast majority of what I purchase is from private sellers.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Have you priced used trucks lately?

Folks are selling their used trucks for more than they paid for them new now.

I have and just purchased one 2 days ago.

Purchased a nice used car about a month ago also. I am very aware of the market.

No where did I say buy just any truck. You have to do a little legwork and be smart about it.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MM879
My last 15 new trucks were all leases. If I could sell it before the end of term I could order a new one earlier. I never had any problems selling the trucks, just order top of the line vehicles.

I had a plan the whole time. I wanted to get the retirement truck just right. I tried all the engine options and rear axle ratios. Ordering a new truck is not straight forward because of the option package definitions. It is hard to get what you want without getting too much.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Why would I do that? wink

As I see it, it is not as much a decision of new vs. used, it is a decision on financing and payment.
That's where the homework and due diligence is to be done before the shopping starts.
Some folks simply wait until they have no choice but to buy today, or find themselves walking. Old Bus #11!
Some businesses do the same. Big mistake.

When the $ work out right for either the individual or company beforehand, and a budget is set and caps are in place, the choice of buying new does carry some great incentives such as greater warranty, control of services maintenance records going forward and in most cases a security of solid functionality without downtime losses for a longer period of time.

Damnit man, quit trying to be thoughtful and intelligent about the situation. You are just muddling things up here.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't agree buying new is a bad thing. when its not being effected by covid. go look at trucks that are slightly used. 2 years old 30k ish miles. THE PRICE ON THOSE IS MORE MOST OF THE TIME THAN NEW. its a myth buying new is bad. 4 years ago I bought my wife a 2014 pilot with 40k miles. in 4 years we have seen about 13k in depreciation. if we had bought new instead. deprecation would have been less than 10k. Now the only way to really make sense it to keep driving the vehicle another 3-4 years and our depreciation will only be about 6k, more. but if we just traded out every 4 years you get a new vehicle and the cost isn't really more, IMO . yeah it makes terrible sense to buy new when you pay way too much for the new vehicle. about 10% off sticker less incentives is where I normally start on a new vehicle. buy it right and you will be ok.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.