Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought so anyway... Good case for carrying reloads, but number of rounds, tough call

gunfights

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm a firm believer in not running out of ammo

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mr. Wilson forgets that concealed carriers are not in the cop business. And Mr. Wilson is confused about the meaning of "average".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know that several on here have said very similar things as the article. But, there are still many on here who think they will only get the fight that they've planned for and their little snub-nose will do the trick. I hope that they never have to have that fight, and if they do, they are right. I hope that I'll never have to get in one of those situations, but if I do I'll be as prepared as I can be for the worst case scenario (both in practice and in what I'm carrying).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I can't hit 'em with one - I'm done.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dla
Mr. Wilson forgets that concealed carriers are not in the cop business. And Mr. Wilson is confused about the meaning of "average".

While the police are definitely more likely than the average joe to be in a shooting situation, the thought/preparedness process still applies. To think that it wouldn't or couldn't is short-sighted.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Originally Posted by dla

While the police are definitely more likely than the average joe to be in a shooting situation, the thought/preparedness process still applies. To think that it wouldn't or couldn't is short-sighted.

Toche'

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by P_Weed
If I can't hit 'em with one - I'm done.

Are you packing a single shot blackpowder horse pistol? Transition to sabre after the shot?

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I read somewhere we the "average" civilian engagement is two-four rounds. I normally carry a 1911 (8+1) 45 or a G=48 (10+1)....plus one spare, but those who choose wheelguns are ok as well.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
My moto is prepair for the worst, hope for the best

IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Standard military thought process....ergo, a 1911 smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hope to go to my grave a happy fat old man without ever having to use my gun in self defense. That said, I am happy and fat and working hard on the old part. Anyway, the thinking in TN (where I got my concealed carry permit) was to make you shoot to 21 yards. Now they have changed the process and the longest yardage is 11 yards. The change was due to the thinking "if you are 21 yards away, you have options other than shooting".
If you agree or disagree with that, with that kind of thinking by law makers, the longer the distance, the harder it might be to get a jury to buy the "I was in fear for my life".

I figure that if I was ever in the position of having to shoot at somebody, between nerves and adrenalin, I want all the ammo I can have. Shooting at a target is one thing but the target shooting back is another. YMMV

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If anything, another argument in favor of the 9mm. Assuming a moderately sized pistol, like the Glock 19, you've got double the number of rounds in a 1911 without carrying ANY reload and only one reload allows you to fight a small war.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These days, all arguments favor the 9mm. Actual use may vary.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never was in a gunfight and thought "I don't need all this ammo, I wish I had less."

But, hey, YMMV. I also never though I had enough grenades either......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The only time you can have too much ammo is if you are swimming.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm an expert on "Average" see my name. I tote a Mossberg mc1sc with 7+1 and a 6 round spare mag and I'm comfy. Ive learned that folks tend to unass areas because incoming has the right of way. Perhaps I should carry a 3rd magazine or get a pistol caliber carbine oops folks would notice though.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Those "statistics" and "averages" don't mean what many of you think they mean.

Most guys would be better of just ignoring them and preparing for the worst encounter he could reasonably expect to face:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Standard military thought process....ergo, a 1911 smile

Since 9/11 real gunfighters have proven what works and made that knowledge available to all.

The old boys still try to sound valid but are flailing. the sheriff, ayoob et al were theorists whose time is long past

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After watching many ASP videos of real world videos, I tend to carry a bigger caliber with a reload available. Rarely does it seem a one on one fight...it's usually a planned 2 or 3 on one unsuspecting victim...it seems numbers embolden the criminals and multiple shots scatter them.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,636
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.