Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp

How about an ambush so you never have a chance?
You fid as I figured trolled. I don't know what you are trying to say here.

A Jframe I don't find adequate fir a lot of situations. So you have been in situations where a snub nose wasn't adequate? It seems you have recovered nicely. I carry a P365 load re d with a 15 rd mag and a spare 16 rd mag. The P365 is easier to make accurate shots than a jframe by for and holds a lot more ammo I like the 365 too, but it is easy to come up with scenarios where it would not be adequate.

I doubt that I'd ever need that much ammo thus prepared for a worst case scenario In other words, a worst case scenario is what you say it is.

Okay, now I'm getting a little argumentative, but words have meanings. Phrases like "worst case scenario" get thrown around way too carelessly.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by jwp

A Jframe I don't find adequate fir a lot of situations. So you have been in situations where a snub nose wasn't adequate? It seems you have recovered nicely. I carry a P365 load re d with a 15 rd mag and a spare 16 rd mag. The P365 is easier to make accurate shots than a jframe by for and holds a lot more ammo I like the 365 too, but it is easy to come up with scenarios where it would not be adequate.

I doubt that I'd ever need that much ammo thus prepared for a worst case scenario In other words, a worst case scenario is what you say it is.

Okay, now I'm getting a little argumentative, but words have meanings. Phrases like "worst case scenario" get thrown around way too carelessly.

Just as I thought trolling BS I don't need to be in a gun fight with a jframe to find it inadequate my certain situations in my opinion you pompous azz

I've shot a jframes enough to know their capabilities

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jwp

Just as I thought trolling BS I don't need to be in a gun fight with a jframe to find it inadequate my certain situations in my opinion you pompous azz

So it's your way or the highway, right? Got it.

Yes, I'm trolling...trolling for information and questioning certain things that I see as unclear or presumptuous. If that makes me a pompous azz, then so be it. Pretty clear who the thin-skinned one here is.

I hope your command of your weapon is better than your command of the language.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp

Yes, I'm trolling...trolling for information and questioning certain things that I see as unclear or presumptuous. If that makes me a pompous azz, then so be it. Pretty clear who the thin-skinned one here is.

No you are being an azx pure and simple. That stupid statement of have "I been in a gun fight with a jframe" proved your BS. Why would I need to be in a gunfight to realize the limitations of a jframe compared to a better weapon for concealed carry

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
These threads make it apparent who has or has not taken high level training and who does the work to achieve and maintain competency. I have been schooled regularly since 1980 on my own dime and while getting paid. I learned a lot and progressed to a certain level of competence. I tested myself for years by competing regularly in USPSA, IDPA and Inter agency matches.

Learning is a process of evolution and everything that I think and do has changed over time.

Since 9/11 guys like Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, John McPhee, Kyle DeFoor, Travis Haley and others have made training based on real life experience and a dedication to excellence available to us normal folks. Simply stated modern weapons, tactics and procedures are vastly different and far superior from those of "the good old days"

Those that fail to recognize that fact cling to the old ways and sound foolish when trying to defend their lack of self improvement.

as always,YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp

No you are being an azx pure and simple. That stupid statement of have "I been in a gun fight with a jframe" proved your BS. Why would I need to be in a gunfight to realize the limitations of a jframe compared to a better weapon for concealed carry

Geez, man, get a grip. When you said "A Jframe I don't find adequate fir a lot of situations" it sounded like you were saying that you had been in situations where it wasn't up to the job. And I never questioned the limitations of a Jframe. They are what they are and they have their place. My point has only been that there is always a worse worse case scenario and that we are fooling ourselves if we think we have every situation covered. How one decides how much is enough is for each to decide and I'm only trying to figure out how folks approach making that decision. It seems to me that "Worst case scenario" is not a good framework for making that decision.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp

Geez, man, get a grip. When you said "A Jframe I don't find adequate fir a lot of situations" it sounded like you were saying that you had been in situations where it wasn't up to the job. And I never questioned the limitations of a Jframe. They are what they are and they have their place. My point has only been that there is always a worse worse case scenario and that we are fooling ourselves if we think we have every situation covered. How one decides how much is enough is for each to decide and I'm only trying to figure out how folks approach making that decision. It seems to me that "Worst case scenario" is not a good framework for making that decision.

Anyone with a drop of common sense knows that it is impossible to be prepared 100% for every conceivable situation. One can't walk around with 500 rds for their AR along with a few grenades.

I'd rather have an accurate semi auto pistol with a double stack mag, giving me a better weapon than any jframe, by its increased capacity and easier to hit with

I'm sure that YOU could come up with scenarios that a platoon would be needed to deal with

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
These threads make it apparent who has or has not taken high level training and who does the work to achieve and maintain competency. I have been schooled regularly since 1980 on my own dime and while getting paid. I learned a lot and progressed to a certain level of competence. I tested myself for years by competing regularly in USPSA, IDPA and Inter agency matches.

Learning is a process of evolution and everything that I think and do has changed over time.

Since 9/11 guys like Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, John McPhee, Kyle DeFoor, Travis Haley and others have made training based on real life experience and a dedication to excellence available to us normal folks. Simply stated modern weapons, tactics and procedures are vastly different and far superior from those of "the good old days"

Those that fail to recognize that fact cling to the old ways and sound foolish when trying to defend their lack of self improvement.

as always,YMMV

mike r

Practical approach IMHO

Last edited by jwp475; 05/16/21.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't understand what "practic approach IMHO" means.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Carry a gun, that's the important part. The rest is all personal preference.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I don't understand what "practic approach IMHO" means.

mike r

It means typo

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been shooting 1911s my whole life, including competitively for a bit whilst in the Navy. That is what I'm comfortable with. I also have my share (3) of stoker fired pistols (Glocks) which I like, but at this stage in my life I'm not willing to invest in retraining myself to shoot them as well and accurately as a 1911. Am I giving up an advantage due to the decreased capacity (9 v 15 plus)? you bet, but I'm convinced that in the kind of scenario I might find myself in where I have to skin leather, I can do it better than 90 plus per cent of the criminals out there. Lastly, even if these "studies" including the FBI one more or less say most "civilian encounters" are resolved with three shots or less, I'm good with my nine rounds plus a reload.

And as far as police are concerned, those stats are accurate and proof positive I can outshoot most of them and as to dealing with stress, I think I can do that better than most.. So yeah, it was an interesting study.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Gentlemen I think we're offtrack. Streetthugs normally don't carry AK's and speak Arabic or Farsi.Terrorists don't normally smoke crack or steal for meth. Congrats to the Mil folks but I don't think the Seals are swapping to Shield+ or J frames.

Quite a few of the more recent mass casualty events in everyday American venues have involved long guns, and street criminals with long guns are not that unusual. But, even a couple of bad guys with Glock 17s are nothing to sneeze at. Add some drugs or mental conditions that impact reactions to pain and you are looking at a pretty serious situation. We are fortunate these days because, for the approximate size of a J frame, one can get a much better platform with higher capacity, higher rate of fire, greater accuracy and easier reloading. Go in peace.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Anyone with a drop of common sense knows that it is impossible to be prepared 100% for every conceivable situation. One can't walk around with 500 rds for their AR along with a few grenades.

I'd rather have an accurate semi auto pistol with a double stack mag, giving me a better weapon than any jframe, by its increased capacity and easier to hit with

I'm sure that YOU could come up with scenarios that a platoon would be needed to deal with

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to be provocative here. When someone says worst case scenario, what does that mean? And how did they arrive at their definition? As you say, common sense tells us that we can't be prepared for everything, so how does one decide what to prepare for?

I agree with you, I'd rather have the pistol as well. You said you carried a reload as well. How did you decide on one, none, or two extra magazines? I'm interested in how people decide, not so much what they decide on.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to be provocative here. When someone says worst case scenario, what does that mean? And how did they arrive at their definition? As you say, common sense tells us that we can't be prepared for everything, so how does one decide what to prepare for?

I agree with you, I'd rather have the pistol as well. You said you carried a reload as well. How did you decide on one, none, or two extra magazines? I'm interested in how people decide, not so much what they decide on.

I decided that with one reload I have 31 rds and I decided that should be more than enough.

I live in a rural area and I never thought that we would have a random shooter but we did. If I am in my vehicle and get shot the way this guy did 4 people and I have the ability to return fire. I did not want to run out of ammo in my CCW

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
... And as far as police are concerned, those stats are accurate and proof positive I can outshoot most of them and as to dealing with stress, I think I can do that better than most.. So yeah, it was an interesting study.

What police statistics are you referring to?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

It's very simple. What can you reasonably carry that will give you the greatest capabilities in the widest variety of situations.

You are not preparing for a specific fight, because you have no idea what fight may come your way, so I've developed a carry posture that prepares me for a wide variety of possibilities while maintaining good concealability and a minimal interference with how I conduct my daily business. This equation will be different for everyone. For me, this means a double stack compact in 9mm with two additional mags and extra toys including medical either in the vehicle or sometimes in the labtop case. That's the base level, but as G-12 pointed out earlier, load out changes as circumstances dictate. That could mean a subcompact single stack for concealability, or something more substantial in a small pack.

I'll tell you what I don't carry.... a J-frame without a reload.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/16/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

It's very simple. What can you reasonably carry that will give you the greatest capabilities in the widest variety of situations.

You are not preparing for a specific fight, because you have no idea what fight may come your way, so I've developed a carry posture that prepares me for a wide variety of possibilities while maintaining good concealability and a minimal interference with how I conduct my daily business. This equation will be different for everyone. For me, this means a double stack compact in 9mm with two additional mags and extra toys including medical either in the vehicle or sometimes in the labtop case. That's the base level, but as G-12 pointed out earlier, load out changes are circumstances dictate. That could mean a subcompact single stack for concealability, or something more substantial in a small pack.

I'll tell you what I don't carry.... a J-frame without a reload.

Very well stated

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
WTF is interesting about that article?

I'm sorry, I'll try and do better next time...

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

And as far as police are concerned, those stats are accurate and proof positive I can outshoot most of them and as to dealing with stress, I think I can do that better than most.. So yeah, it was an interesting study.

Right on man.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,658
Posts18,512,822
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.