Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think anyone in our era kills a lot of people with a handgun. People put into a position in which killing a lot of others with small arms fire is necessary are using rifles. Occasionally a shotgun or handgun is deployed for a specific role but by and large modern warfighters and increasingly even law enforcement are going to the fight with an M4 carbine. And for good reasons.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"Any hit is a good hit... " Maybe that should be changed to "any hit is a good start!" Watch this two minute video all the way through for the punch line.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9qooFUqsk&list=PLWVp52wHfhX2XvKc9QYbEJwYVwpOA87mo&index=8

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
allow you to carry a mouse gun grin

mike r

So no 9mm....Glad you have that covered

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MOGC
Maybe that should be changed to "any hit is a good start!"
That's a good way to word it Mog. Who ever gets lead in the fleshy parts first gains an advantage. If you do get that initial hip shot it can have the added advantage of cancelling your opponents mobility. Hit to the hip or lower spine, they're not moving so fast.it takes the initiative from them and gives you more options.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by goalie
I will just throw out that my experience is that where you hit is VERY important.

"Any hit is a good hit" seems like a good way to not stop the threat.

Glad to read of your experience, sir. It’s funny how that works. In my view, that’s a ready-made excuse for police chiefs to pull out to excuse the lousy shooting of their cops in an OIS. In one OIS review I was part of, 2 coppers emptied their pistols on a would be suicide-by-cop. That’s 30 rounds of 40 S&W. Hit him 4 times (13.3% hit ratio). Chief deputy says it was a good shoot because all 4 hits were in the guy’s head, but I pointed out that clipping both ears and grazing the scalp apparently didn’t quite work, as they still had to taser him to get him to hold still so they could cuff him.

Originally Posted by goalie
Granted, I haven't killed "a lot" of people, and I did it with a rifle. That alone makes me think accuracy/shot placement is even more important with a handgun.

As for amio, just load my patients before cardioversion, and stop it while their lungs still work.....

Funny how the rifles vs pistols stuff is rarely mentioned in ex Navy SEAL classes.

As for amlodipine, that’s a good approach. I typically just load them and start a drip and let the intensivists figure out the rest.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well Blue I think we are missing the gospel that the old guys had this stuff all figured out and that everything since Cooper and Cirillo is just gilding the Lily.

Seriously? Did you bother to read what I wrote before you wrote this?

All that other stuff is not an evolution in learning based on actual experience gained in the last 20 years because evolution is only a biological function. who knew?

Mike, don’t dissimulate. You wrote HUMAN evolution, not evolution of training. There is a huge difference. English is a precise language. Use it accordingly.

And yes, I maintain that people today are far less fit than they were 60 years ago, and there is ample data to prove it. The percentage of Americans who actually exercise daily has declined drastically. Average Body mass index and percentage body fat have increased enormously. There is a small segment of the populace that actively exercises because they want to, but they are in the minority by a large margin. As others have posted, above, the medical and fitness literature supports this sad fact very strongly.

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/20/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
That's a good way to word it Mog. Who ever gets lead in the fleshy parts first gains an advantage. If you do get that initial hip shot it can have the added advantage of cancelling your opponents mobility. Hit to the hip or lower spine, they're not moving so fast.it takes the initiative from them and gives you more options.

Once engaged, if a bad guy has cover/concealment I'll shoot whatever part of him I can see. If I can't see his head, upper chest and he lets his knee stray too far out - it is gonna get shot. Sticks a thigh out, lets his shoulder poke out, it's getting a bullet. Obviously those aren't necessarily fight stoppers, but I promise it will weigh on his mind and spirit.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

To clarify, I prefer the term “lateral pelvis” rather than “hip”, and that’s what I’ve been teaching for 20+ years. It works. It’s a relatively large target area, and fracturing the bones there (upper femur and ilium of pelvis) will put a felon on the ground very quickly. Unfortunately, it’s not exactly a non-lethal option, as many people think... the iliac and femoral arteries are right there, and if you perforate those, you can’t apply a tourniquet...

I have been told by several cops I’ve trained that they used lateral pelvis shots in OIS with excellent effect.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
MOGC, all due respect, but potentially wasting bullets on small and mobile target areas may work against you if not carefully thought out. I’m sure you e already considered this, it let me be a bit more explicit.

If you’re shooting a rifle, and you have lots of ammo, yeah, go ahead and shoot at the guy’s exposed appendage, But if all you have is a 17 round mag for your blaster and the range is 20 yards, and you waste 7 or 10 rounds trying to hit the edge of his head when he ducks out, you may put yourself at a serious tactical disadvantage. By all means, if you have a non-moving appendage in your sights and your marksmanship is up to snuff for the target size and the range, take a shot! But be careful you don’t send good bullets after bad. There are lots of examples in the LE literature of cops doing just that and shooting their guns empty.

I (and trainers such as Pat Rogers), consider such shooting a low percentage option. You are more likely to miss than on a torso or full head target, and even if you do hit, you’re not likely to incapacitate your opponent. The subject is in a fixed position behind cover, which means you have opportunity for fire and maneuver, or simply wait him out, or other options, depending on the situation.

Again, not arguing with you, just trying to out some nuance on it.

Caveat: if you use this tactic as a component of a suppressive fire while you or a member of the team closes on the subject, it may work very well indeed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's a good point and glad you clarified it. Situation dependent.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a combat load of 240 rounds (8 magazines) suppressive fire seemed wasteful, even if appropriate.

Low percentage shots with a handgun when I'm usually carrying total, with reload, roughly what I had in the M16 before the first reload (or a few rounds less) is only an option if it's allowing me to un-ass the encounter.

Then again, I value my ability to run more than my ability to shoot well.

Obviously, you want both fitness and firearms proficiency, but one is likely to never be used, while one almost ensures a longer, healthier life.

And, in SOI, I learned that there's a LOT of running involved in training to fight.

IMO, carrying a gun 24-7 just in case, but neglecting physical fitness makes zero sense

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
goalie, I did a fair bit of suppressive fire training, but never used it on SWAT ops, never used it and never saw it used, but we trained for it and if the right situation ever came up, we could have used it. Pat Rogers ran us thru a drill using SF on some emergency egress situations he had based on real world ops. But as you say, the purpose was to un -ass a stack of guys from a bad place.

I have steel knees and I don’t like to run, but I CAN run if I have to. Otherwise I’d still be running 15 miles a week. Now I walk and throw dumbbells around. And go to my happy place (the range) a lot.

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/20/21.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket
[ English is a precise language. Use it accordingly.

Good luck in this place....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by DocRocket
[ English is a precise language. Use it accordingly.

Good luck in this place....

LMAO 🤣

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doc, I realized I was old the other day when my GPS watch had 18 minutes and change at mile 2, and I realized I used to run 3 miles in less time than it takes me to run 2 miles now. And that's at my "fast" old guy pace.

frown

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Getting old sucks, man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting old beats the alternative and beyond a certain point, even that is debatable.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jwp475
Doc, if you really believe that the physical fitness and educational level of modern humans has declined in the last 60 years we are living in different universes.

As to the modern warriors who are all hat and no cattle, actual experience trumps gun camp theorists every time.

mike r

Doc is correct and you are full of sh it

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_3293846

People Getting Dumber? Human Intelligence Has Declined Since Victorian Era, Research Suggests

You just referenced the Huffington Post. Since the Victorian era men have split the atom, walked on the moon and invented the Glock in 9mm. Get a grip.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Doc, it is obvious that your training has resulted in opinions that wont be changed regardless of advances that others choose to heed. I had no idea of the depth of your experience as a swat cop and entry team member. Those SOF guys that I mentioned should have have sought out your level of expertise.

You are now the official Guru of Gunfighting and have achieved the Big Stick level of Subject Matter Expert.

I stand humbled in your presence.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Glad to hear you’ve come to your senses, Mike. Im still waiting to hear what advances you espouse that I haven’t heeded, though.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1badf350, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,687
Posts18,513,529
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.