-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Box lock is a better grade pre-war Sauer 12ga with a second set of cape gun barrels in 12 & 8X57jr with a Weaver K3 60-B P&CH in claw mounts. I used it in Africa for warthog and duiker, steenbuck, etc. I like having one barrel of heavy buck and one rifle round for close cover PG or here for deer and chuckar or grouse hanging out in the same haunts with bird shot, instead of buck.

The drilling is a full sidelock Prussian Sauer made Charles Daly Superior Grade 16 (2 3/4") over 30-30 with the coveted side cock-uncock lever for the rifle. It has a top tang safety, not the Greener side safety, and when one cocks the rifle the rear trigger fires the rifle barrel, then the left shotgun barrel if pulled again. To uncock the rifle all you have to do is hold the lever down, pull the rear trigger, and lift the lever slowly. This my favorite drilling configuration, and I have the 12ga version of the same drilling. They both have the folding tang peep sight and a flip rib mounted rear sight.

Both guns have a lot of drop, which is shoot well. The drilling stock is uncut with the original butt plate.

Ms. Scarlet doesn't care what I carry, as long as we get into birds and I drop a few for her. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
slobberslobberdrool - and I don't mean Ms. Scarlet, neither,
as she clearly, visibly has too much class to do such a thing...

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by PeterCartwright
Please don't forget the Gordon's English cousin! I live in Michigan Upper Penninsula-country that looks a lot like your New England landscapes and with similar weather. The "classic" English Setters share a lot of personality traits with the Gordon. I have a pair that serve as house dogs and hunting companions. I never cease to be amazed as the Jekyl/Hyde personality transformations these critters experience around hunting. The same dogs who languish unobtrussively around the house all year long turn into "Popeye on spinach" when birds are on the menu. Still, they're eager to please and hunt cover well.

I guess I will second this completely. I have a 6 month old english setter who is the most amazing dog I have ever owned. I grew up with labs, and while they are amazing family dogs, they always seem to be a pain in the butt until they get to be a couple years old and calm down a little bit. I always loved the looks of english setters, and a great breeder/trainer lives not to far from me, so when I found he had puppies ready I loaded up the clan, 5 boys(2-17) and my wife and headed to his kennel.

He had a small female setter, 8 weeks old there, well, it was love at first sight and she came home with us. One thing that had always concerned me with setters was how hyper they were. I have done some training with her, real easy stuff, she's only 7 months old or so, and when you get her out hunting she is a complete machine, but as soon as she comes in the house its like someone swaps her with a 10 year old black lab. She lays around and snuggles up to anyone who sits down. She plays with all of the kids. My wife even made me let her sleep on the bed with us. I go on, but I couldn't possibly recommend any dog more than I do her.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
That is some nice country there. I back packed a bit of the Greens during the 90s.

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 10/20/07.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds just like my Cookie, a Llewellin. They are English setters for the most part and wonderful hunters and family dogs. Her mother, Ms. Scarlet, sleeps in her bed on the floor in the bedroom until 6:00 a.m., then hopps into bed for another hour every morning. grin

Setters seem to have a great affinity for man. They live to please us; it is their reason for being...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 10,202 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,340
Posts18,546,412
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.