-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sqweeler I think those dies were made by CH. If you look up google images for CH dies you should be able to find out. I could be wrong and they are Pasific. I have some 308Norma and the only thing Herter was the lock-ring.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cabelas in Dundee Michigan has/had one. This was posted on the Single Action forum.

https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/38675/401-powermag-cabelas-dundee-michigan

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I grew up in SE SD and going Herters at Mitchell SD was a annual event. Allways remember staring at a Sako L461 in 222 Rem Mag. $124.95 might as well been a million. Those memories made it a bucket list fantasy. My ex father in law was a shooter and reloader. His sons and daughter all wanted the guns when he passed. I was offered all of the reloading equipment and bullets, powder, primers and brass. Yeah I loaded it up and hauled it off. He was a good guy brow beat by his wife forever but a good guy. Last winter I was at a local show right thru the door was a table with a revolving gun rack with 7-8 guns it
One of them was a mint Sako L461 in 222 rem mag I got it bought for $900. Does a guy die after chasing down his bucket list guns? Or does he chase whores and drink AB products? Need an answer for this I'm getting tired..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I grew up in SE SD and going Herters at Mitchell SD was a annual event. Allways remember staring at a Sako L461 in 222 Rem Mag. $124.95 might as well been a million. Those memories made it a bucket list fantasy. My ex father in law was a shooter and reloader. His sons and daughter all wanted the guns when he passed. I was offered all of the reloading equipment and bullets, powder, primers and brass. Yeah I loaded it up and hauled it off. He was a good guy brow beat by his wife forever but a good guy. Last winter I was at a local show right thru the door was a table with a revolving gun rack with 7-8 guns it
One of them was a mint Sako L461 in 222 rem mag I got it bought for $900. Does a guy die after chasing down his bucket list guns? Or does he chase whores and drink AB products? Need an answer for this I'm getting tired..mb
Just in case you have not decided who your heirs are, I am available to take the .222 from your estate. I see no reason to be shy about this. PM me for my address. You do have a box right ?? If you insist I will prepay for shipping. grin

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by TheKid
I forgot about the cookbook. Some hilarious recipes in there. Wyatt Earp doves, exactly the way Wyatt ate his most favorite fowl. I remember some recipe attributed to Charlamagne and another that was a favorite of Mary mother of Christ.

I need to dig my copy out for a laugh. Have to look for my Official Northstar Guide Association Guide’s manual too.

Like everyone here, I delighted in reading Herter's catalogues as a kid and still have a couple of them. Several years ago, I bought a used copy of George Herter's "Bull Cook Book" for my girlfriend. The recipes it contains were a revelation...until perusing it, I had to confess my utter ignorance regarding Genghis Kahn's personal recipe for sauerkraut, Alexander the Great's favorite cocktail, and Buddha's secret fried rice recipe. Who knew?
At least that publication informed folks how to properly cook breakfast link sausage.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Between the two older brothers and I we had quite a bit of Herters gear. Brother had a Herters square end fiberglass canoe he affectionately named "Lennie" after George Leonard himself....decent but heavy as hell. We had a lot of their $10 stock blanks with the roll over combs, a 16 ga shotshell reloading press that was OK, a powder scale that was not OK, a powder measure that was marginal, fishing lures that I don't remember, bulk monofilament line that was junk, and probably a lot more stuff I can't remember. I wanted to get.270 J9 and .338 Win Magnum U9 barreled actions from them to make up two big game rifles back in '70....but they were not available. I ended up with a Sako Finnbear L61 .270 barreled action instead.

The brother's recurve bow was a very quick bow but the limb broke...and Bob Barrie was a heck of an archery pioneer and bowhunter. They had a photo in the archery section of the catalog of the supposed archery taken World Record Dall sheep....killed by Bob Hansen, an Alaskan that later was charged with flying women out into the bush in his Super Cub and murdering them (true story).

I still have an old Herters catalog and remember the quick 300 mile day trip visits to Waseca from our central WI farm....had to milk 'em morning and night you know.
I was in Alaska in the middle 1970's and that was a big story about bob and the girls (hookers) that he killed.

kwg
Hansen had the Pope and Young record mountain goat, not dall sheep.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Inherited Dad's old camping knife. It still gets used in the kitchen.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Any have a Vit Glodo duck call?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first bow and dozen of (yellow and black Port Orford cedar) arrows came from Herter's in about 1971. Never saw the Waseca store. But visited Mitchell in 1976. Got my picture taken with the jackalope and the squatch.

Ended up, years later, with a pair of .401 Power Mags, a couple boxes of original Herter's factory ammo and several hundred N.O.S. brass. Cool old revolvers. Built like tanks and weigh about the same. One in the pic had the rear sight gooned up by some ding-dong with a grinder. So, I went ahead and just milled it on down and installed a Weaver rail and period-correct optic. It's definitely a shooter. The one not pictured is a solid, unaltered 95%-er.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Still have a few sets of Herter's dies, a whole bunch of Model 107 turkey box calls and some #2 coilspring traps among other things.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Were the revolvers made by RG in germany

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I still have and wear a Herter's Hudson Bay Goose Down Parka, that I bought about 1977. Even slept in it one night at 20 below when I slid off a little used road. Thankfully, I also had a wool army blanket for legs and feet.

Last edited by Wrapids; 01/06/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by richj
Were the revolvers made by RG in germany

J.P. Sauer & Son

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
They made high quality items!! Back in the early 70's I had them make a 458 Winchester rifle for me, their model u9. It had a BSA monarch action a Douglas barrel ,and an absolutely beautiful stock all for $160 !! I ended up trading it for a new Rokon 340RT motorcycle worth $2400 . grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Still have and use a Herter's down vest....bought it in 1972 for my first hunting trip to Wyoming for mule deer and antelope what an adventure should have bought an elk tag saw a lot of nice bulls....
Have a Herter's Deer Call still in the box with instructions ....really don't know if it called a deer in but it's been on many a deer hunt !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a few of the knives
The "Improved Bowie " , "Bull Cook " , one of the
Russell Canadian looking copy ( whatever Herter
called it) and one that I don't know what it's called.
Sorta like the "Improved Bowie " , but slimmer
and an upswept tip.
They have the "hump" and whatever steel they
used is some good stuff. Probably because
they're old and before everybody used all the
chinese metals

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up in Mitchell, and trips to Herter's were a very regulary thing for Dad and I.

I remember walking in and seeing the taxidermy display that was on the floor behind a post and pole fence. Remember touching the musk ox mount and being amazed at what the hair felt like.

Pretty sure my first rifle (Rem 788 in 243) was purchased there and given to me on my 12th birthday. This was in 1979, first year I could legally hunt.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We made the trip to Mitchell to go Herter’s specifically.
My family had friends in Minnesota so we made it to the Waseca store also. They were one of a kind at the time. Fascinating for a boy.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
2 more boxes found.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I shot a bunch of Herters wads out of my trap guns and also from duck guns. Vandalee, Grand Prix, and Chalice wads. One kind wasn't slit all the way to "hold the shot together". We stopped at the Mitchell store in '75 on our trip to CO. I was big into black powder shotgunning and they had card and fiber wads. I filled a shopping cart with wads, ten gauge primed 2 7/8" hulls, and other bulky stuff. At checkout, my wife asked where in our '75 Nova coupe with a four year old in the back seat was I going to put it. The checker just said to give her our address and they'd mail it. When we got home there was a big box on the porch with a note asking for $7 something postage.
Dad and I had a gun shop about then. He wrote them to see how he could get on the dealer list and get dealer discounts. They said send the order with a check and his FFL and they'd send the gun and his commission. We ordered a 12 ga that looked like an Auto 5. It came, along with a check for about $25. The barrel interchanged with dads Auto 5. Both made by FN. $189.
Wish I'd ordered the o/u.
Herters model perfect. Farbenglas. Cree guide association approved. None better. Still have my last 1975 catalog.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Growing up in S.E. South Dakota, trips with my Dad and brothers to the Mitchell Herter's were always a good time. I still use a Herter's 'Perfect Pistol Powder Measure' for my .38's and 357's. It throws Winchester 231 better than any other measure I've got.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 219DW, 21 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,765
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.