Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Was a "great" read.....thanks. What a unique trophy the "Grey Ghost", Congratulations.

The famous, "Grey Ghost, of Cinched Wader Creek".

Last edited by AGL4now; 05/26/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome hunts !

Congrats.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done!! Congrats on a very successful bear season.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

A glacier bear AND cinnamon bear in the same year - not sure I've ever heard of that done before - pretty awesome. I've never seen a glacier bear south of town - a few north of town.

Bummer about the taxidermy bill . . . smirk

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

A glacier bear AND cinnamon bear in the same year - not sure I've ever heard of that done before - pretty awesome. I've never seen a glacier bear south of town - a few north of town.

Bummer about the taxidermy bill . . . smirk

Heeey what else is an emergency fund for?!?

Last edited by 907brass; 05/27/21.
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Outstanding!!!!! What caliber rifle??

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well done, Al!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I usually have brown and black bear tags with me for a mainland hunt, so I use a .300WSM with 180gr GMX bullets. If I was only targeting black bear I'd probably go a little smaller.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 907brass
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I usually have brown and black bear tags with me for a mainland hunt, so I use a .300WSM with 180gr GMX bullets. If I was only targeting black bear I'd probably go a little smaller.

Bet that knocks the snot outta them!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done again! That glacier bear is awesome!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Hudge
Good job! I decided not to bear hunt this year, I didn’t want to be called a racist for shooting a brown or black bear! 😅 Just kidding on that part. My son is deployed and he usually helps me bait. I’ve got so many projects to do and with my upcoming surgery and the wife’s I figured I’d sit this year out. The good news, once these projects are done, including the remodel I’m paying someone to do, I’m wide open for caribou hunting.

I wish we could bait in the winter. So many things going on and to do in the spring. Tough to make the time.

At least allow baiting in September and October maybe. The few times I’ve baited here, I haven’t gotten black bears until late in the season. I know in 2018, the last day of the season I had a nice blacky on it. I was at work though. When I went and pulled my barrel that evening and saw the pics, I wasn’t too happy.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
The cinnamon bear:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not as long as the glacier, but fatter.

Last edited by 907brass; 05/27/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
The Glacier Bear:

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great read! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
awesome

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for your well told story and pictures. Those bears look like they'll make very handsome mounts/rugs.

Congratulations.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Awesome story and sharing it with your family makes it even better. I’ve never seen or heard of a glacier bear. That’s definitely on the bucket list.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sorry for all the installments here. I've been at work and I've been butchering.

So 2.5 hours after stepping onto the beach we had my dad's bear in the inflatable canoe and we paddled down the river towards our skiff anchored in the salt water. I absolutely love canoeing on rivers but I don't get much of a chance to do that in this part of the state. After the tension of the stalk, the shooting and tracking of the bear, dragging, gutting, etc. the raft riding silently down a calm river is the perfect experience. The brown bear sow and cub had come back out onto the grass -- they didn't mind at all when we floated by.

We were almost back to the boat when I noticed, in the opposite corner of the inlet from my dad's bear, there was a barrel shaped tree stump moving around the tree-line. As tired as I was I couldn't help but get a closer look. We turned the canoe around and paddled back into the inlet. We glided as close as we could get while still being hidden to the bear, and I stepped out of the canoe into the marshy bed of seaweed. Sneaking up the beach as quietly as I could, I turned the corner that would let me get a good look at this new bear. A nice boar, and a cinnamon color phase to boot. Okay -- time for this guy to come to dinner:

The nice thing is that at this point we had the canoe really close, so while I gutted the cinnamon boar my dad paddled the canoe to essentially right up to me. I couldn't help but notice, 700 yards farther away, a third black bear had just emerged...lucky for them we were all pretty spent at that point. We rolled it into the boat on top of the other bear and finished paddling back to our boat. Really impressed with the SOAR inflatable canyon canoe by the way, it had close to 800 pounds on board with us and the bears, and it still had good floatation and handled well. Rated to 875lbs I believe.

A fast skiff ride home on an abnormally calm night, and a couple hours of skinning and quartering!

I'm stopping at this point because I have obligations but will pick the rest up later. Great thread so far!!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular

It sure does! What i like about the monolithic bullet is that the exit wound is usually only quarter sized (provided I've missed the shoulder), but the penetration and hydrostatic shock is just incredible.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

but the penetration and hydrostatic shock is just incredible.

That’s what she said..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1moredeer, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.